Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is a decent salary?

What is a decent salary?

Old Nov 12th 2017, 3:19 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a decent salary?

I HAVE lived in Texas ........... and would not like to repeat the experience.

Life in the south was and is so very different from everything I knew and believed in

Don't discuss politics

Be very careful about expressing your opinions on a whole range of things from Trump to Obama to single sex marriage, women's rights, gun control, religion, etc etc

Expect to see men wearing guns in holsters at their waists, and often with the holster open so they can grab the gun faster, and rifles in racks across the inside of the back window of the cab of trucks.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 4:30 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scilly
I HAVE lived in Texas ........... and would not like to repeat the experience.

Life in the south was and is so very different from everything I knew and believed in

Don't discuss politics

Be very careful about expressing your opinions on a whole range of things from Trump to Obama to single sex marriage, women's rights, gun control, religion, etc etc

Expect to see men wearing guns in holsters at their waists, and often with the holster open so they can grab the gun faster, and rifles in racks across the inside of the back window of the cab of trucks.
So a bit like Alberta, then.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 5:20 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Rural anywhere in Canada isnt much different to rural anywhere US.

I am not a fan of Texas but in their defense there are some nice pockets like Austin that are fairly forward minded.

Originally Posted by Shard
So a bit like Alberta, then.
Old Nov 12th 2017, 6:50 am
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
Rural anywhere in Canada isnt much different to rural anywhere US.

I am not a fan of Texas but in their defense there are some nice pockets like Austin that are fairly forward minded.
Yup. It's Austin that I like. Have to go there some day. Having said that, the recent shooting wasn't that far from Austin I think?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:31 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Thank you all for the warm reception, many familiar faces here still!
Not wishing to highjack the OPs thread but Im heading to Greenville SC area, initially on a Nafta TN visa, with the company committed in a non specific way to getting a PR visa. Serious downside to TN visa is spouse can come but cant work, so PR is the long term aim for us. Besides, as I remember it temp residency in Canada sucked, no employment options, no credit rating etc etc.

Its ironic that I first came to BE all them years (and posts, 30k? really??!) ago in order to get some idea how long Canadian citizenship takes to process as my job had previously gone tits up and I wanted to be Canadian in order to make it easier to leave Canada for the US if my job situation went pear shaped again, and now here I am years later doing just that.
Mind you, this morning in Quinte its minus 8 with -16C windchill with the youngest boarding the schoolbus bundled up in a snowsuit, so 18 and sunny in NW SC doesnt seem a hardship Plus its nice that they want to pay me significantly more than I was getting in Belleville.

I suspect I will be picking the collective US brains over the dual taxation thing and "duel intent" as unsurprisingly offspring #1 has no desire to leave her canadian life and education in favour of starting again in the US. Until we figure out how she can achieve her goals in the US system (Flying with the Air Cadets, Education at RMC and then flying for the canadian forces) its possible that she will finish high school here, which is potentially 3 more years of stradling the border. I guess thats fine on a temp resident TN visa, but not going to work on a green card.
Offspring #2 looked at the weather forecast and basically was like "When can we leave Dad"
So life has gotten complicated but Im excited by the move to a great new company , new location and new possibilites! Plus there are loads of cheap convertibles on the Greenville craigslist and Im long overdue a midlife crisis.
Congratulations! When is this all likely to happen?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:47 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
Golf, a deep interest in C & W music, believing that South of the Border is a true look at Mexican urbanity, Nascar, agreeing with Donald Trump, dropping the letter 'u' in many words, getting interested in college football (the 4 downs variety), and joining a mega-church glass cathedral type congregation. .....
Not really, those are just stereotypes perpetuated by people who don't live here. I arrived in the area, first Virginia, briefly before heading further south, and have managed to avoid all but two of those, and one of the two I have mostly given up on these days.
Thank you all for the warm reception, many familiar faces here still!
Not wishing to highjack the OPs thread but Im heading to Greenville SC area ....
We'll almost be neighbours!

Most people get used to the summers - just don't fight the heat, take it easy. The winters are virtually non-existent - snow is usually transitory, in other words, don't shovel the snow in the morning because the sun is warm enough by lunchtime to melt it.

The religion and politics are much easier to ignore than most people imagine. I have been asked once, and only once, in fifteen years, which church I attend? Politics are personal, but I find few people will create a political discussion unless you invite it.

Guns you will rarely see, except in gun rack in trucks during hunting season.

Last edited by Pulaski; Nov 13th 2017 at 3:58 am.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Yup. It's Austin that I like. Have to go there some day. Having said that, the recent shooting wasn't that far from Austin I think?
Actually that was where we lived.

Pro:- lots of trees, nice houses, universities, cheap food, very active music scene (now!)

Con:- guns, red necks, little knowledge of anywhere else

Last year was the 50th anniversary of the shooting from the top of the university tower where 15 people were killed and 31 injured.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 5:08 am
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Pro:- lots of trees, nice houses, universities, cheap food, very active music scene (now!)

Last year was the 50th anniversary of the shooting from the top of the university tower where 15 people were killed and 31 injured.
Red necks - is it because of education or because of Fox News or just cultural influences? Genuinely curious.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 5:09 am
Forum Regular

jerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond reputejerryhung has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Why not? If you don’t believe in it anyway what does it matter if you attend for your own reasons? It’s a nice morning out, listen to a few stories, have a singsong, make some friends and then go out for lunch.
Um, it's super boring to sit there for hours listening to something you don't believe isn't it?
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:00 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

I would not move to the GTA with a family of 4 for 80k unless I was heavily motivated by canadian (or north american) lifestyle factors. Its going to be hard to buy and maintain a place plus pay for family activities, child care etc on that level of income in whats loosely the "Greater Toronto Area". Sure there are people that get by on less, and good on them, but do you want to move continents in order to clip coupons to keep your grocery bill in check?

I was on a similar level of income out in the (cheaper) eastern ontario wastelands, and by the time bills were paid and kids activities paid for lets say we were not exactly packing the savings accounts to pay for trips back to see Grandad, or more practically to pay for college tuition for the kids.

Long story short I'm about to take up a job in the US that pays significantly more in the hope that its worth the level of family upheaval that its going to create.
Hey, welcome back stranger! Good luck with the move!
Old Nov 13th 2017, 9:43 am
Yo

Nowhere's perfect
Old Nov 13th 2017, 11:55 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

And one can't judge a city in 2017 from 50 plus years ago. City's change and the Austin of 2017 is far from red neck.

Red necks are just as common in Canada, once out of Vancouver and into the Fraser Valley guns are also popular.

Austin I believe is also the fastest growing large US city at the moment.

Austin also has a very diverse population including a vibrant LGBT community. The is ranked best city to live in the US for 2017.

Austin area is not your typical Texas city and is pretty much a democrat oasis in an otherwise conservative red state.

Nowhere's perfect

Last edited by scrubbedexpat091; Nov 13th 2017 at 12:16 pm.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 11:59 am
limey party pooper

bats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond reputebats has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerryhung
Red necks - is it because of education or because of Fox News or just cultural influences? Genuinely curious.
Plenty of rednecks in Ontario it's a way of life, the background. You can bet though that when you've broken down it will be a redneck in a truck that stops to help.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 12:27 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerryhung
What do you mean by "red neck". Lots of people get called that, and the term gets slung around mostly as an insult, so unless you have lived in an area where the term has some cultural history, you are just dealing with a stereotype that you don't really understand.
Old Nov 13th 2017, 1:37 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
...Austin also has a very diverse population including a vibrant LGBT community...not your typical Texas city and is pretty much a democrat oasis in an otherwise conservative red state.
Sounds as if the rest of Texas might invade and put them right.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.