Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is a decent salary?

What is a decent salary?

Old Nov 6th 2017, 6:54 am
Just Joined

frenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond reputefrenchie82 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is a decent salary?

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Although I asked earlier, you didn't respond - so are you intending on buying a property when you come over on a temporary work permit? (perhaps you didn't see my posts?)

I would strongly suggest that you ascertain if you would be able to apply successfully for Permanent Residency before considering buying a house.

I'd also suggest renting, regardless, until you get to know the different areas, commuting distances and where it is you might want to live permanently.

Sorry must have missed that post. No we wouldn't buy straight away, it would be in the future once we have permanent residency and once we have decided where we would like to buy. Ideally will want to rent where we want to buy as not keen on moving children's school again once we are over there.

Yes we have spoken to an agent a few times and under the impression that we can apply for PR under the provincial nomination scheme. We Would start the ball rolling with this as soon as is possible once there. A lot of the Canadian team out there are Brits who went out on the intra transfer scheme and are now permanent residents also.
Old Nov 6th 2017, 10:13 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frenchie82
Yes we have spoken to an agent a few times and under the impression that we can apply for PR under the provincial nomination scheme. We Would start the ball rolling with this as soon as is possible once there. A lot of the Canadian team out there are Brits who went out on the intra transfer scheme and are now permanent residents also.
The PNP is quite onerous on the company in Ontario and also costs them quite a bit (unlike other PNP's where it's free to apply and often can be done without the employers help), so do make sure you have it written in to your contract before moving that they're happy to support that if that's the way you wish to go.

HTH.
Old Nov 7th 2017, 12:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

I like Kitchener better than Guelph. You get more for your money too there. The OPs are right that they could get something for less than $400,000 although it might be stuck in the 70s!
Old Nov 9th 2017, 2:39 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Please can we get this thread
I would not move to the GTA with a family of 4 for 80k unless I was heavily motivated by canadian (or north american) lifestyle factors. Its going to be hard to buy and maintain a place plus pay for family activities, child care etc on that level of income in whats loosely the "Greater Toronto Area". Sure there are people that get by on less, and good on them, but do you want to move continents in order to clip coupons to keep your grocery bill in check?

I was on a similar level of income out in the (cheaper) eastern ontario wastelands, and by the time bills were paid and kids activities paid for lets say we were not exactly packing the savings accounts to pay for trips back to see Grandad, or more practically to pay for college tuition for the kids.

Long story short I'm about to take up a job in the US that pays significantly more in the hope that its worth the level of family upheaval that its going to create.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 2:51 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Long story short I'm about to take up a job in the US that pays significantly more in the hope that its worth the level of family upheaval that its going to create.
Good luck and best wishes for the move
Old Nov 9th 2017, 6:04 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

IAIN!!!!!!!! Oh my days, how lovely to see you back.

Best of luck, I'm sure it will be, whereabouts are you heading to? Hope it all goes really well.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:47 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I would not move to the GTA with a family of 4 for 80k unless I was heavily motivated by canadian (or north american) lifestyle factors. Its going to be hard to buy and maintain a place plus pay for family activities, child care etc on that level of income in whats loosely the "Greater Toronto Area". Sure there are people that get by on less, and good on them, but do you want to move continents in order to clip coupons to keep your grocery bill in check?

I was on a similar level of income out in the (cheaper) eastern ontario wastelands, and by the time bills were paid and kids activities paid for lets say we were not exactly packing the savings accounts to pay for trips back to see Grandad, or more practically to pay for college tuition for the kids.

Good luck mate, I hope the job's not in Florida, Mississippi or Louisiana.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 11:55 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

You very nearly made three years away
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:22 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Good luck mate, I hope the job's not in Florida, Mississippi or Louisiana.
I rather liked visiting Lafayette Louisiana frequently. (I had people reporting to me down there). People were great. Bloody hot though and of course gun ownership is endemic.
Old Nov 9th 2017, 12:33 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I rather liked visiting Lafayette Louisiana frequently. (I had people reporting to me down there). People were great. Bloody hot though and of course gun ownership is endemic.
We had a client in Metairie for years and, of course, there were umpteen conferences in New Orleans. I always had a good time, even when I had to wear a suit in July. But I'm past the point at which I'm gonna get educated, I wouldn't take children to live there (nor dogs or horses but that's another story).
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:00 pm
Yo

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

I would

Hello Stranger !
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:35 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

hurrah, you are back!!!
Old Nov 9th 2017, 3:50 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

Are you just passing through or are you here to stay? Or worse... will you be defecting to the US boards? Eek!!!

Nice to see you!
Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:07 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Woohoooo!!!! Good to see you again - we've missed you!

Hopefully you will be hanging around... would be great if you did..

Congrats on the new job!

Old Nov 9th 2017, 4:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Are you just passing through or are you here to stay? Or worse... will you be defecting to the US boards? Eek!!! ....

..... Long story short I'm about to take up a job in the US that pays significantly more in the hope that its worth the level of family upheaval that its going to create.
May I be the first to welcome you to the dark side!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.