Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is cheeze whizz and oil changes every 6,000K, really?

What is cheeze whizz and oil changes every 6,000K, really?

Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:35 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is cheeze whizz and oil changes every 6,000K, really?

Originally Posted by dinger24
In the UK there was Anne Robinson on that consumer program the other night which was on about Kwik Fit conning people and over charging them, not changing filters and advising people to change brakes that were perfectly serviceable etc. I think this is common practice with many garages in the UK, I also feel this is down to the mechanics believing that the general public are fairly clueless when it comes to servicing a vehicle, one way around it is to speak to the mechanic before hand asking him/her to show you what he is going to change (oil, oil filter, air filter etc) and then ask to see it has been completed when you return to collect your vehicle. As for the filter locking on, this is common to all vehicles! A good mechanic knows to give the filter a 1/4 turn back once it has been fitted to prevent it ceasing
Finally I am sure that there are loads of very professional and very honest good mechanics (personally I havent met a bad one yet) just before someone comes on and gives me an earful!
You can always ask for the old parts, some have to be returned for a rebate but things like brakes/spark plugs/filters etc can be saved and given to you. I would actually ask for the old brakes if I was taking my car to a garage to be done as I know from working in garages and from what my husband says now that some mechanics will replace barely worn brakes and then keep the old ones themselves (brakes are a good money earner). it drives my OH mad to see unscrupulous people doing this, he worked with a mechanic in the UK that did this and he works with one here too - he hates her. Another bit not to ignore is when your timing belt needs replacing if your car has one.

I wish we had a MOT equivalent here some of the stories OH comes home with about the state of some of the cars he works on are scary, my teen is old enough to drive now an I'm scared for her to be on the roads when other people drive with no brakes or the swing arms broken etc, scary stuff.

Last edited by Piff Poff; Sep 18th 2010 at 12:00 am.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

CheeseWhiz
cheese whiz
cheeze whiz
No offence, but you guys really need to learn how to spell Cheez Whiz...
Old Sep 17th 2010, 11:55 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
http://www.epiceriedirect.com/lookpr...hp?id_pro=4538
You obviously eat too much of it to be that bothered...
Old Sep 18th 2010, 3:24 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CanadaJimmy
http://www.epiceriedirect.com/lookpr...hp?id_pro=4538
I'm not offended but puzzled, why do I NEED to learn how to spell cheesewiz?
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:24 am
Forum Regular

Kirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant futureKirsty John and Dominic has a brilliant future

Wish my truck was 6,000 i have to have an oil change every 5,000.
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill

Small related note:
Also watch out for oil filters being screwed in "too tightly" on new cars.
Hi
sometimes it is due to the lack of knowledge of lubing the oil sealing ring before it is fitted.
I found this most common on the engines due a first filter change,be it oil or fuel.
Strangely the volvos engines i did a first service on, never had this problem

cheers
Jerry
Old Sep 18th 2010, 4:35 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dinger24
A good mechanic knows to give the filter a 1/4 turn back once it has been fitted to prevent it ceasing
Hi
Thats a new one on me,personally i would not do it myself.
I was always taught lightly lube the sealing ring, and don't over tighten.
Most mechanics should have the correct filter wrenches to remove the over tight ones,In my box I have four different types/sizes, for the problem ones, they only take an extra minute to remove,I personally have never had to chisel one off yet....
cheers
Jerry
Old Sep 18th 2010, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

I agree that you need to give a little lube on the filter rubber seal and this is a common error on new and used vehicles.
As for the 1/4 turn back this is what I have always been taught and as I would teach! If you do this then you will not require to use a screw driver etc it avoids the filter vibrating during use and becoming overly tight. Filter wrenches are obviously going to be the tool to use (I think the name gives that one away!).
Most manufacturers recommend a torque tightening as well (although I cant remember seeing anyone doing it).
The MOT in the UK is good for safety and it always surprises me that so many countries dont take up this method of increasing road safety with the amount of deaths on the roads. I would imagine that a high % could be avoided with improved vehicle standards.