Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is cheeze whizz and oil changes every 6,000K, really?

What is cheeze whizz and oil changes every 6,000K, really?

Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What is cheeze whizz and oil changes every 6,000K, really?

ok how about cheese whiz and (gulp) mushy peas ahhhhhhhhh
YUCK

and marmite is like sucking on a dirty sock that has been soaked in tractor grease for 6 months, that stuff is nasty. Just b/c something has vitamins in it, doesn't mean it is edible....yuck
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:30 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
ok how about cheese whiz and (gulp) mushy peas ahhhhhhhhh
YUCK
Together?? What kind of imagination do you have woman?

and marmite is like sucking on a dirty sock that has been soaked in tractor grease for 6 months, that stuff is nasty. Just b/c something has vitamins in it, doesn't mean it is edible....yuck
But it does give it some redeeming qualities and make it worth eating. It's damn fine added into gravies and stews.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:31 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
You might think that but since the discovery that mixing Stilton into KD intensifies the effects things have changed somewhat.
(Did you not get your briefing notes last week?)
No briefing notes here.

Once again we in the west are left out.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

it is like a pair of old running shoes

smelly and useless in my house, give me bovril any day for gravy lol

nope not for me, that stuff is dreadful, mmm maybe could use it for the 5000 click oil change......hhmmmmmm

LOL not cheese whiz with mushy peas....comparing lol
brits eat mushy peas but not cheese whiz.....no comparison, cheese wins every time...
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Steve_P
No briefing notes here.

Once again we in the west are left out.
That's cos you have your heads stuck in the oil sands

BTW is it true that CheeseWhiz is mined in Alberta ?
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:36 pm

BTW is it true that CheeseWhiz is mined in Alberta ?
Absolutely. We use it to fire the boilers to generate steam for oil sands extraction.

That's what they meant when they said they were going nuclear.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

Absolutely. We use it to fire the boilers to generate steam for oil sands extraction.
Thought that was how marmite was produced!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
nope not for me, that stuff is dreadful, mmm maybe could use it for the 5000 click oil change......hhmmmmmm
Have ever noticed that Marmite is the same colour and consistency as axle grease after it's been on the car for at least a year.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have ever noticed that Marmite is the same colour and consistency as axle grease after it's been on the car for at least a year.
YEP!!! my thoughts exactly hehehehe
but grease smells nicer, now can't comment on taste lol
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:41 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

It's no big deal to get it done and costs around $40 so I can't see any reason why not to. Some places give you every 5th oil change free. We combine two of them with winter tyre changes and stuff. Our mechanic also tops up the windscreen fluids and other stuff so I've only had to top that up once in the past 4 years.

I might be benefiting from someone not getting the car looked after. 6 year old Honda with no oil changes etc done. Engine blew up. The bodywork is fine and has all the gadgets our mechanic is going to put a new engine in it so if I like it when tis done I may buy it.
Nice one, OH picked up a Freelander with much the same story earlier this year (it still needs it's repair, it'll get done though).
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:50 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenhill
Another question is "What's the minimum maintenance required to keep the warranty valid?"

I've asked this question each time I've bought (or leased) a car here and the reply has been the same each time: "oil/filter change every 5,000kms, keep the receipt and get the mechanic to stamp/sign/date/record the mileage in the service manual".

My next question is always "Can I get the oil change done at any garage?". So far "yes" has always been the answer..

There's a general attitude here (NS) that oil changes are all you need to do. Don't ask for FSH on a used car as you probably will only get a frown. The attitude is to just fix things that are broken... I subscribe to this attitude because I'm sure, absolutely certain, I was ripped off for £1000's in the UK by having to get each car fully serviced at each interval.

Small related note:
Also watch out for oil filters being screwed in "too tightly" on new cars. It took three mechanics 45 minutes to get the filter off my new SX4 the other day (even after I got them to call Suzuki for advice)! Crazy... but apparently this is a common thing with some new cars; that the oil filters are machine fitted 'too tightly'. So possibly a good idea to get the first oil change done by the dealer (at least if you have a Hyundai or a Suzuki).
I agree with when asking for a full service history, you get 'that' look, I understand the individual words coming out of your mouth but not what your saying - do you know the look I mean?

Now as far as servicing goes, there are different services at different ages of the car, each service will check different things. The ones that involve checking the spark plugs IMHO is pretty important. OH regularly comes home and tells tales of woe of having spark plugs snapped off in the head because the numpty that has owned the car from new has never had the car serviced so the spark plugs haven't ever been checked/replaced. It makes for a stressed out mechanic and a stressed out customer when they are faced with a totally massive bill.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:08 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Love Marmite and mushy peas. I bought some mushy peas from a Brit shop the other day and had them with fish and chips...yummy!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:10 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mizz Teapot
really O my gosh that doesn't sound so good...where can you buy it, I wanna see
I think most superstores stock it...EWWWW can't imagine what it looks like in the can
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Greenhill
I subscribe to this attitude because I'm sure, absolutely certain, I was ripped off for £1000's in the UK by having to get each car fully serviced at each interval.
Small related note:
Also watch out for oil filters being screwed in "too tightly" on new cars. It took three mechanics 45 minutes to get the filter off my new SX4 the other day (even after I got them to call Suzuki for advice)! Crazy... but apparently this is a common thing with some new cars; that the oil filters are machine fitted 'too tightly'. So possibly a good idea to get the first oil change done by the dealer (at least if you have a Hyundai or a Suzuki).
In the UK there was Anne Robinson on that consumer program the other night which was on about Kwik Fit conning people and over charging them, not changing filters and advising people to change brakes that were perfectly serviceable etc. I think this is common practice with many garages in the UK, I also feel this is down to the mechanics believing that the general public are fairly clueless when it comes to servicing a vehicle, one way around it is to speak to the mechanic before hand asking him/her to show you what he is going to change (oil, oil filter, air filter etc) and then ask to see it has been completed when you return to collect your vehicle. As for the filter locking on, this is common to all vehicles! A good mechanic knows to give the filter a 1/4 turn back once it has been fitted to prevent it ceasing
Finally I am sure that there are loads of very professional and very honest good mechanics (personally I havent met a bad one yet) just before someone comes on and gives me an earful!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 10:35 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for that Piff Poff. I know I was trying to offer advice to others through my own personal experience, but I've also been wondering for some time when..and the real "when"... to get a modern car 'fully'/properly serviced. I was thinking a 'few days before the warranty expires' - i.e. time to trade it in but I'll take your advice seriously there.

Karma sent

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Now as far as servicing goes, there are different services at different ages of the car, each service will check different things. The ones that involve checking the spark plugs IMHO is pretty important. OH regularly comes home and tells tales of woe of having spark plugs snapped off in the head because the numpty that has owned the car from new has never had the car serviced so the spark plugs haven't ever been checked/replaced. It makes for a stressed out mechanic and a stressed out customer when they are faced with a totally massive bill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.