Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is cheeze whizz and oil changes every 6,000K, really?

What is cheeze whizz and oil changes every 6,000K, really?

Old Sep 17th 2010, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is cheeze whizz and oil changes every 6,000K, really?

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Cheez Whizz is used for grouting tiles, and no, cars don't need their oil changed every 6,000km.
If Tower Chrysler is to be believed, it should be every 3,000km
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:19 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
As I understand it oil needs to be changed more frequently here than in the UK in part due to the extremes in temperature, I could however be completely wrong.
I think you are right. The same car has different oil change and service intervals depending on whether it is in the US or Canada. I assume every 6,000kms is to cope with the worst the Canadian weather can do. (Though I don't see how a North Dakota winter is that much easier on a car engine.)

I am sure that in the Lower Mainland UK style oil changes would be fine, but as Fled says it only costs a few bucks and takes a few minutes so it is no big deal.

As for cheeze whizz - I've never tried it. No plans to either.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

dinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of lightdinger24 is a glorious beacon of light

The oil is because of the extreme differences in weather (high temp in summer is not to bad but the winter cold and then warming up when driving will cause the oil to be less effective). You should refer to your users manual which should confirm this.
As previously mentioned it is relatively cheap and it will do no harm, I would sugest that the oil filter is also changed at the same time as the oil, if not at least annually!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 6:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Oink
I'm not sure heart attacks are covered on your particular provincial medical system.
Good point! Just for interest sake I went to fridge and did a comparison of Cheez Whiz to 2 year old Balderson Cheddar.

Balderson (per 30g serving):
130 calories
11 g fat
30 mg cholesterol
200 mg soldium

Cheez Whiz (per 30 g serving):
75 calories
5 g fat
15mg cholesterol
470 mg sodium
4 g carbohydrate

I was surprised that there is less calories and half the fat in 2 tbsp of cheez whiz compared to a 1 1/4" square of cheddar.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:09 pm
Forum Regular

Mizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond reputeMizz Teapot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Like Burgers in a can
really O my gosh that doesn't sound so good...where can you buy it, I wanna see
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by bgroe
Good point! Just for interest sake I went to fridge and did a comparison of Cheez Whiz to 2 year old Balderson Cheddar.

Balderson (per 30g serving):
130 calories
11 g fat
30 mg cholesterol
200 mg soldium

Cheez Whiz (per 30 g serving):
75 calories
5 g fat
15mg cholesterol
470 mg sodium
4 g carbohydrate

I was surprised that there is less calories and half the fat in 2 tbsp of cheez whiz compared to a 1 1/4" square of cheddar.
I'm sorry, but comparing energy content doesn't tell you the whole story

Try comparing a chunk of uranium vs Stilton...it may have similar energy characteristics, but I know which I would eat :-)

Either way, the name Cheese Wizz is enough to put me off
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

I've had both burgers from a can (years ago whilst camping) and Cheez Whiz and both are acceptable as food stuffs in my opinion.

Cheez Whiz is like a thicker version of Dairylea basically, it tastes very similar. Whenever I make Nachos with Salsa I always put a bit of cheez whiz since it tastes much better and more authentic than grating real cheese on top. Good if you're cooking something else and want to give it a bit of a cheesy kick too, like in pasta sauces.

All food has some kind of processing done to it these days anyway, whether it be adding starch, high fructose corn syrup or preservatives. I don't see what makes Cheez Whiz particularly bad, it's no worse than processed cheese slices thats for sure.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:52 pm
Pictou County Superstar™

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute

Another question is "What's the minimum maintenance required to keep the warranty valid?"

I've asked this question each time I've bought (or leased) a car here and the reply has been the same each time: "oil/filter change every 5,000kms, keep the receipt and get the mechanic to stamp/sign/date/record the mileage in the service manual".

My next question is always "Can I get the oil change done at any garage?". So far "yes" has always been the answer..

There's a general attitude here (NS) that oil changes are all you need to do. Don't ask for FSH on a used car as you probably will only get a frown. The attitude is to just fix things that are broken... I subscribe to this attitude because I'm sure, absolutely certain, I was ripped off for £1000's in the UK by having to get each car fully serviced at each interval.

Small related note:
Also watch out for oil filters being screwed in "too tightly" on new cars. It took three mechanics 45 minutes to get the filter off my new SX4 the other day (even after I got them to call Suzuki for advice)! Crazy... but apparently this is a common thing with some new cars; that the oil filters are machine fitted 'too tightly'. So possibly a good idea to get the first oil change done by the dealer (at least if you have a Hyundai or a Suzuki).
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

justkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud ofjustkidding has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by spaceace
I'm sorry, but comparing energy content doesn't tell you the whole story

Try comparing a chunk of uranium vs Stilton...it may have similar energy characteristics, but I know which I would eat :-)

Either way, the name Cheese Wizz is enough to put me off
Details, please!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 7:56 pm
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
If Tower Chrysler is to be believed, it should be every 3,000km
Tell them to do the nuts up a bit tighter, and the oil might stay in a bit longer!
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:35 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bgroe
Details, please!
Details of the Stilton warhead are still top secret. Spaceage will be receiving a visit soon regarding the Official Secrets Act.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 8:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of lightCdnshaz is a glorious beacon of light

You people amaze me, you will eat Marmite and not cheese whiz, you heathens...lol

Don't knock something unless you try it! It is only processed cheese....ok on occasion but not something you would eat daily.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:05 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Details of the Stilton warhead are still top secret. Spaceage will be receiving a visit soon regarding the Official Secrets Act.
Details of the Stilton warhead are still top secret only in the UK the Canadian Official Secrets Act couldn't give a hoot.
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:16 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Details of the Stilton warhead are still top secret only in the UK the Canadian Official Secrets Act couldn't give a hoot.
You might think that but since the discovery that mixing Stilton into KD intensifies the effects things have changed somewhat.
(Did you not get your briefing notes last week?)
Old Sep 17th 2010, 9:21 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Originally Posted by Cdnshaz
You people amaze me, you will eat Marmite and not cheese whiz, you heathens...lol

Don't knock something unless you try it! It is only processed cheese....ok on occasion but not something you would eat daily.
Ah but Marmite is good for you, vitamins and stuff.

However if you had compared CheeseWhiz and tinned processed peas then you would have a point.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.