Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What car did you all buy

What car did you all buy

Old Sep 5th 2005, 9:31 am
Just Joined

DekBC is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What car did you all buy

I am looking at buying a 89 Chevy Silverado 1500 5.0 v8 4x4 Std Cab Long Box. Or a Toyota MR2 Supercharged right now. depends what happens with the gas prices I think though.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 2:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gooding
At the end of the day they are all made at same factories and imported.
Unfortunately its WAY more complicated than that. Importing from Europe is a regulatory nightmare. Even some cars built IN CANADA for the US market cannot easily be reimported back to Canada due to differences in Bumper regulations, lighting and emissions technology. Often its just cheaper to start from scratch again than to try and meet all the necessary changes
Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RSK
Hi Group

Am thinking of buying a car and I was just wondering what car did all the new immigrants buy and what is the insurance you all paid. I would appreciate if you could share this info.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
rsk
I bought a Toyota Tundra 4 X 4 truck...cause I wanted too. Thought if I was going to buy a truck...better get a good one...has to last me a long time...and since getting it, have wondered how I would have managed without it...it earns its keep!

Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:22 pm
RSK
Forum Regular

RSK is on a distinguished road

I hear from quite a few immigrants that they prefer Japanese/German cars to American ones since Japanese/German fetch a better resale value than the domestic. Is that what you all also think.

Cheers
rsk
Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:32 pm
Banned

maple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nice

We too are landing in NS - fingers crossed end of September. Whos your insurance company Happydayz?
We'll look them up when we arrive and see if they can get us insurance that cheap as it does seem a lot less then anyone else. Did you provide them with any documentation from your UK insurers?

Originally Posted by Happydayz
Hi RSK,
Well, we're not there yet but having heard all the horror stories about the high price of car insurance for imigrants,I thaught That whilst I was arranging my house insurance with an agent in N.S.,I would ask for a quote on our intended ride when we get there. I explained that we would be new imigrants
with no Canadian history and want fully comp ins. on a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 sport. The quote came back as $700 for the two of us to drive.I asked him to check if this was correct,given our imigrant status, and he confirmed the quote.This is aprox. £325, which is less than I pay for my ins. in the UK with full no claims. I'm still not confident that this is correct, despite his assurances but I'd be over the moon if it was. Has anyone else had a good quote.

Tony.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

smitp11 will become famous soon enoughsmitp11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by RSK
Hi Group

Am thinking of buying a car and I was just wondering what car did all the new immigrants buy and what is the insurance you all paid. I would appreciate if you could share this info.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
rsk
What's the Ontario equivalent of:

www.autotrader.co.uk
Old Sep 5th 2005, 3:41 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smitp11
What's the Ontario equivalent of:

www.autotrader.co.uk
http://www.trader.ca/default.asp?fsa=M6E&ref=autotrader
Old Sep 5th 2005, 5:14 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by maple
We too are landing in NS - fingers crossed end of September. Whos your insurance company Happydayz?
We'll look them up when we arrive and see if they can get us insurance that cheap as it does seem a lot less then anyone else. Did you provide them with any documentation from your UK insurers?
I sent you a pm, and no they didn't ask for any documentation.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RSK
I hear from quite a few immigrants that they prefer Japanese/German cars to American ones since Japanese/German fetch a better resale value than the domestic. Is that what you all also think.

Cheers
rsk
My experience, albeit somewhat limited so far, is that they are dead right. It was like extracting teeth trying to get any discount at all on my 2002 Subaru Outback from a dealer. In a moment of madness when I had a look at Jeep Cherokees, the dealers were willing to throw in their first born as well.

There is of course the comparative rarity value, although you do see a fair number of Outbacks here, but to be quite blunt the build quality of the mainstream domestic is crap. They are cheap to buy brand new, but there is a good reason for it.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 1:36 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Posidrive
but to be quite blunt the build quality of the mainstream domestic is crap. They are cheap to buy brand new, but there is a good reason for it.
Certainly used to be the case, but recently the domestic makers have been catching up. I would avoid anything more than 3 or 4 years old, but since then GM and D-C seem to have been getting there act together. Even Ford seem to be doing better. But they are all set up a bit more as boulevard cruisers than sports sedans. In Detroit where the roads are crater pocked thats probably a good thing...but its a bit too mushy for me. I can see at time where I end up with a domestic product though, as the premium on Jap and Euro imports is becoming less and less worth paying in my opinion. Guess Im just getting used to the styling now To paraprase 7of9...resistance to asymilation is futile

Last edited by iaink; Sep 6th 2005 at 1:40 am.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:07 am
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Certainly used to be the case, but recently the domestic makers have been catching up.
Quite probably true, but how many years will it take the general public to wise up to the fact.

The converse is also true, at least with European build. People buy BMWs because of the perceived build quality, but they have steadily been going downhill to the extent that you probably get a better build quality from VW owned Skoda these days. At least with the entry level cars.
Old Sep 6th 2005, 11:55 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

I bought a Jeep Liberty. Nice looking car but unimpressed with things going wrong in the first 9 mths. (new front brake discs, paint coming off wheelarches, new trip computer etc). Also very thirsty for a smallish SUV at 16l per 100km (or about 14ish mpg) which hurts at the moment.

If you want a smallish SUV then the one liberty I would consider is the 2.8 Diesel. Its the only small diesel SUV available in North America.

Despite the astronomic increases in gas, I still hanker after a full size truck. I know I shouldnt and probably wont but there's something about living the Canadian dream in an F150 Supercrew.................
Old Sep 6th 2005, 2:07 pm
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of

i bought a new merc last month and sent it back after 4 days... german cars are not what they used to be

now my 200,000 mile landrover, thats a good car!!
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:03 pm
Banned

maple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nicemaple is just really nice

Just out of interest - have any of you broken down in winter and if so did you panic....much?
Old Sep 6th 2005, 4:15 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by maple
Just out of interest - have any of you broken down in winter and if so did you panic....much?
I haven't broken down but I was in an accident which destroyed my car and left me stuck in the middle of the 401 in freezing rain. The police came and drove me to the train station in Whitby. They must have known that there weren't any trains until morning but they dropped me there anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.