What car did you all buy

What car did you all buy

Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:31 pm
RSK
Forum Regular

RSK is on a distinguished road
Default What car did you all buy

Hi Group

Am thinking of buying a car and I was just wondering what car did all the new immigrants buy and what is the insurance you all paid. I would appreciate if you could share this info.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
rsk
Old Sep 4th 2005, 12:56 pm
Premium Member

Tiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of lightTiaribbon is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What car did you all buy

Dodge Ram 2500 and a Jeep Wrangler. Both 4x4's, Ram 6L and Jeep 4L. Insurance for both is just under $2,000 per year.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 1:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by RSK
Hi Group

Am thinking of buying a car and I was just wondering what car did all the new immigrants buy and what is the insurance you all paid. I would appreciate if you could share this info.

Thanks for any help
Cheers
rsk
I chose one with four wheels, one in each corner, the man gave me another wheel to keep in the trunk!
Old Sep 4th 2005, 4:56 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

I am glad you mentioned that 5th wheel! I must remember to ask for mine next week!! being a women I expect they would not have offered me that, but I have also learn about coupon cutting in Canada so am looking to see if I have any coupons off to use as well!!!!!!

Back to the question! I am too looking to buy a car next week, and are too looking for a 4x4 as I have usually had one over here. These seem to hold their value, we have had insurance quotes based on no discount at all so we knew what the worst scenario would be and for a top of the insurance scale it was about $1600, inec we can show our no claims record in a few months from insurance here, we get 40% off that price.
We've sen a few smart cars over on our last trip, and they are a source of amusement to locals. They are really quite expensive as well compared to here. You can buy a secondhand left hand drive one here that would cost loads more over there, so are thinking of taking one with us in the container for our daughter to use.

Originally Posted by steve of 5-0
I chose one with four wheels, one in each corner, the man gave me another wheel to keep in the trunk!
Old Sep 4th 2005, 5:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

2002 Subaru Outback. The AWD is better tha 4WD plus being a Subaru it won't fall apart and doesn't guzzle gas like most America SUVs and Trucks

Insurance is about $1600 per year which I'm sort of happy with because it covers a reasonable commute to work and I has one nasty stupidity on my insurance record plus not to mention the 3 non fault claims over the last 3 years.

The Smart cars may be good idea from the point of view of the current gas prices, but if you get involved in an accident whatever hits you is probably going to be a lot lot bigger with the inevitable consequences
Old Sep 4th 2005, 5:44 pm
Here and happy at last

gooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant futuregooding has a brilliant future

Where we are going if there are more than three cars in front or behind you have a traffic jam!! But I do agree the smart cars would get blown off the road by the timber lorries! They look like the reliant robins of Canada! When we parked next to one in a car park you could have got 4 in the space!
I have an A class here at the moment, as I was going through an "economic phase" after selling my last gas guzzler. I dont think I personally would feel happy nex to some of the cars over there, but cant see my 16 year old driving a Dodge Ram some how!! i know i am only little and my feet barely touch the floor of most cars!!! but she thinks she is going to get o big motor the day we land! it is my husband who suggested it as he know it would resell well, at the prices they are going for now over there.

Originally Posted by Posidrive
2002 Subaru Outback. The AWD is better tha 4WD plus being a Subaru it won't fall apart and doesn't guzzle gas like most America SUVs and Trucks

Insurance is about $1600 per year which I'm sort of happy with because it covers a reasonable commute to work and I has one nasty stupidity on my insurance record plus not to mention the 3 non fault claims over the last 3 years.

The Smart cars may be good idea from the point of view of the current gas prices, but if you get involved in an accident whatever hits you is probably going to be a lot lot bigger with the inevitable consequences
Old Sep 4th 2005, 6:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

I think I am going to get a Nissan X Trail, 4wd but good on Gas (did a really say that I meant petrol) and not to big well priced. If your buying a new motor suggest you subscribe to http://www.carcostcanada.com/1104/en/asp/default.asp ware for a small fee you can obtain the dealer Invoice cost and rebates
Old Sep 4th 2005, 7:31 pm
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by RSK
Hi Group

Thanks for any help
Cheers
rsk
Hi RSK,
Well, we're not there yet but having heard all the horror stories about the high price of car insurance for imigrants,I thaught That whilst I was arranging my house insurance with an agent in N.S.,I would ask for a quote on our intended ride when we get there. I explained that we would be new imigrants
with no Canadian history and want fully comp ins. on a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 sport. The quote came back as $700 for the two of us to drive.I asked him to check if this was correct,given our imigrant status, and he confirmed the quote.This is aprox. £325, which is less than I pay for my ins. in the UK with full no claims. I'm still not confident that this is correct, despite his assurances but I'd be over the moon if it was. Has anyone else had a good quote.

Tony.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 7:39 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Another Subaru owner....Legacy GT

Same reasons, great traction, great driving dynamics, reasonable economy, bulletproof reliability.

This is after learining the hard way that SUV stands for Stupid Useless Vehicle. I must have been having a brain fart when I decided to get a Jeep when I came over, and couldnt get away from it soon enough. The only positive thing to say was that at least leasing was good for my credit rating.

My insurance is irrelevent to your case I think as I've been here years...everything is rolled in together, house, and 2 cars with renewal discounts etc etc. I think the Sube is about $800 a year now.

Our other car is a Mazda Protege.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 4th 2005 at 7:50 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2005, 10:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

We purchased a Nissan Murano and have found it to be a superb car, if a little heavy on fuel @18mpg!! We have also recently brought a Nissan Altima 3.5 also excellent. Insurance for both is approx $3000 per annum.

Originally Posted by RSK
Hi Group

Thanks for any help
Cheers
rsk
Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:15 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

My brand spanking new car is a Chrysler PT cruiser. It's purple

Insurance was a heafty $3600, but I'm a new driver and don't have a full Canadian driving licence yet (fingers crossed for a week on Wednesday...)
Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:19 am
Just Joined

NS 4 Me is an unknown quantity at this point

"being a Subaru it won't fall apart"
Are you having a laff? the engines maybe ultra reliable and bullet proof but Subarus are legendary for falling apart.
Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:28 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NS 4 Me
"being a Subaru it won't fall apart"
Are you having a laff? the engines maybe ultra reliable and bullet proof but Subarus are legendary for falling apart.
Says who? Certainly not JD Power, Consumer reports, epinions, carpoint, the alt.subaru newsnet group etc etc. Absolutely not my experience or that of any other owner I know either.

Maybe the old Justys werent great, but everything in at least the last ten years seems iron clad. If anything the engine is the weakest point with regard to "piston slap" on the short skirt piston 2.5 engines which makes it sound like the guts are falling out, but in fact its pretty harmless. Increase the boost on your WRX to 25psi might creat problems?
Old Sep 5th 2005, 1:38 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by gooding
I am glad you mentioned that 5th wheel! I must remember to ask for mine next week!! being a women I expect they would not have offered me that, but I have also learn about coupon cutting in Canada so am looking to see if I have any coupons off to use as well!!!!!!

Back to the question! I am too looking to buy a car next week, and are too looking for a 4x4 as I have usually had one over here. These seem to hold their value, we have had insurance quotes based on no discount at all so we knew what the worst scenario would be and for a top of the insurance scale it was about $1600, inec we can show our no claims record in a few months from insurance here, we get 40% off that price.
We've sen a few smart cars over on our last trip, and they are a source of amusement to locals. They are really quite expensive as well compared to here. You can buy a secondhand left hand drive one here that would cost loads more over there, so are thinking of taking one with us in the container for our daughter to use.
Unless your Smart car is 15 years old (very doubtful) it is not importable to Canada. See: www.riv.ca to see what is.

PMM
Old Sep 5th 2005, 8:54 am
Here and happy at last

Smart cars are already in Canada, all things that need to make them admissable can be done before or after entry, The ones we are looking to take would be left hand drive ones that were first brought into UK and nobody wants now they have right hand drive ones here, hence them being very cheap here.

At the end of the day they are all made at same factories and imported.The page you sent to us relates to cars brought in from USA, although things are the same from Europe and I have also been told by a dealer in Canada to be wary of second hand imported cars from USA, as many are rebuilt wrecks, they can bring them in to Canada and get new papers so you have no idea they may be cut and shuts, or rebuilt after an accident?

I imported a car in from japan many years ago, before the garages all jumped on the band wagon and brought cheap imports in. I had to have modifications done to make it admissable to UK, but did, and was the envy of the neighbours who thought i had spent a small fortune on my car when in fact I paid peanuts. I dont know whether we will bring one over as we think we may have sell everything we own in UK and will not need to take a container, so it may not be worth it, We have friends and neigbours all saying they want this and that if we leave, so it seems daft to take it!

QUOTE=PMM]Hi

Unless your Smart car is 15 years old (very doubtful) it is not importable to Canada. See: www.riv.ca to see what is.

PMM[/QUOTE]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.