Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What car to buy??

What car to buy??

Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:38 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future
Question What car to buy??

Can anyone give me some advice on decent car makes / models in Canada? I wouldn't say I am car crazy but I definitely like something decent to drive.
I currently drive a new shape Mini, which i love, but i'm not going to be bringing it with me.

To give a rough idea of what I would be looking for i'll list what kind of cars I like in England and hopefully someone can give me some good equivalents.

Audi A3's & TT's, Mazda 3's & RX8's, BMW 1 series and of course, Mini's!

Generally I prefer sporty models that are good looking with a bit of punch. As well as looking good though, I would need something practical too. So i can fit children, shopping bags, suitcases and family members in as well.

Any ideas for good car dealer web sites in Toronto or surrounding areas would be greatly received.

Thanks muchly
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:45 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all
Default Re: What car to buy??

I saw in the paper the other day that Ford are on about releasing the Ford Fiesta in Canada in 2010.

Does that ring your bell?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

sargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant futuresargie2710 has a brilliant future
Post Re: What car to buy??

We already have the new Fiesta here. Its not bad car but a little too basic for me.
Thanks anyway!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:56 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sargie2710
Can anyone give me some advice on decent car makes / models in Canada? I wouldn't say I am car crazy but I definitely like something decent to drive.
I currently drive a new shape Mini, which i love, but i'm not going to be bringing it with me.

To give a rough idea of what I would be looking for i'll list what kind of cars I like in England and hopefully someone can give me some good equivalents.

Generally I prefer sporty models that are good looking with a bit of punch. As well as looking good though, I would need something practical too. So i can fit children, shopping bags, suitcases and family members in as well.

Any ideas for good car dealer web sites in Toronto or surrounding areas would be greatly received.

Thanks muchly
Audi's. Mazda's, BMW's and Mini's are all available here but perhaps not identical models as those sold in the UK. Just Google each make with .ca and you should be able to view all models available and with appropriate specs.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:04 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute

All the cars you list would be considered to be quite small here - I don't recall seeing any of those since I've been here, though there's a heavy domestic influence on the cars around here for obvious reasons.

I can't think of many cars in the same category as the ones you list. Are you dead set on something as small? The roads are bigger here you know
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by G77
All the cars you list would be considered to be quite small here - I don't recall seeing any of those since I've been here, though there's a heavy domestic influence on the cars around here for obvious reasons.

I can't think of many cars in the same category as the ones you list. Are you dead set on something as small? The roads are bigger here you know
LOL. Well I would definitely consider a Canadian manufacturer but I know nothing about any of them so I wouldn't know where to start! I really don't want to end up with a Skoda or Volvo type thing (if you know what i mean)
I don't want anything too huge... Good looking, reliable and not too expensive to run are my three main priorities.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:40 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

LOL. Well I would definitely consider a Canadian manufacturer but I know nothing about any of them so I wouldn't know where to start! I really don't want to end up with a Skoda or Volvo type thing (if you know what i mean)
I don't want anything too huge... Good looking, reliable and not too expensive to run are my three main priorities.
He's on about great big American cars, Chryslers, GM's, the Fords you don't see in the UK. I'm not sure that there's ever been a Canadian carmaker..... though plenty of cars are built here for Japanese and US firms.

It's a bit of a cliche but a lot of Brits seem to end up with N. American monsters after they abandon Europe and its efficient, little cars Things seem to be changing though. You can get the new Vauxhall (Saturn here) Astra in Canada now, if you can cope with having a less well-respected badge on your car.

You may want to consider whereabouts you'll end up in Canada, then the debate about 4x4s being necessary, and pickups fer haulin wit' and winter tyres can kick off again.

Rest assured though, if its Japanese or German you can be pretty sure you'll get it here just as you can in the UK. Cars are generally cheaper here too, so a move up to the sports kit etc may be possible.

Edit: Downtown TO dealers to give you a taste.

downtown.mini.ca/
http://www.audidowntowntoronto.ca/?g...FREeDQodLQhJDQ

Last edited by windward; Jan 10th 2009 at 8:44 pm. Reason: Linkage
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:42 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks muchly
Equivalents in Canada for Audi A3's & TT's, Mazda 3's & RX8's, BMW 1 series and of course, Mini's! are Audi A3's & TT's, Mazda 3's & RX8's, BMW 1 series and of course, Mini's!.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:45 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tangram
Equivalents in Canada for Audi A3's & TT's, Mazda 3's & RX8's, BMW 1 series and of course, Mini's! are Audi A3's & TT's, Mazda 3's & RX8's, BMW 1 series and of course, Mini's!.
Thanks for that!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:47 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
But, of course, metric ones.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:48 pm
Just Joined

Thumbs up Re: What car to buy??

Originally Posted by windward
He's on about great big American cars, Chryslers, GM's, the Fords you don't see in the UK. I'm not sure that there's ever been a Canadian carmaker..... though plenty of cars are built here for Japanese and US firms.

It's a bit of a cliche but a lot of Brits seem to end up with N. American monsters after they abandon Europe and its efficient, little cars Things seem to be changing though. You can get the new Vauxhall (Saturn here) Astra in Canada now, if you can cope with having a less well-respected badge on your car.

You may want to consider whereabouts you'll end up in Canada, then the debate about 4x4s being necessary, and pickups fer haulin wit' and winter tyres can kick off again.

Rest assured though, if its Japanese or German you can be pretty sure you'll get it here just as you can in the UK. Cars are generally cheaper here too, so a move up to the sports kit etc may be possible.

Edit: Downtown TO dealers to give you a taste.

downtown.mini.ca/
http://www.audidowntowntoronto.ca/?g...FREeDQodLQhJDQ
Thanks windward!! I'll check them out.

I'll probably be living in Toronto suburbs somewhere, although not sure which one yet. The 4x4 thing doesn't really interest me greatly. I like the sound of cheaper though!!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:28 pm
Forum Regular

Tommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant future

I'm looking at the moment and although i have not got to the point of actually testing anything I have already been put off some of the cars that I would have definitely been interested in back in the UK. Audi for instance are more expensive comparatively than in the UK.

If yo want something with a bit a muscle that is a premium in the UK but a lot cheaper over here, a Mustang GT. Hired one in the summer and they make a great sound when you start them up. A lot of people seem to refer to them as a 'poor mans sports car' so I don’t know if that would put you off.

(They are fun to drive though)
Old Jan 10th 2009, 9:52 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Tommyboy17

If yo want something with a bit a muscle that is a premium in the UK but a lot cheaper over here, a Mustang GT. Hired one in the summer and they make a great sound when you start them up. A lot of people seem to refer to them as a 'poor mans sports car' so I don’t know if that would put you off.

(They are fun to drive though)
A Mustang eh!!! I REALLY like the sound of that one!!!!! My friend in New Brunswick has a Yellow one and I agree, it sounds amazing when it fires up!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Maedros is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently rented a Pontiac G6 and a Dodge Caliber, and found bothe cars very nice, reliable and cheap, compared to the prices we pay in some countries in Europe, due to heavy taxation.

Old Jan 10th 2009, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Tommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant futureTommyboy17 has a brilliant future

A Mustang eh!!! I REALLY like the sound of that one!!!!! My friend in New Brunswick has a Yellow one and I agree, it sounds amazing when it fires up!
For the performance they are pretty cheap, I had a guy at one of the Ford garages here in NS trying to sell me one for $26k, and a wee look on autotrader.ca shows loads for less.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.