Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What is Canada Actually Like?

What is Canada Actually Like?

Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:33 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What is Canada Actually Like?

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Some recent groups such as Albanian, Kosovan etc exist but are very unlikely to be 'dining and socializing companions' to the great mass of everyday Brits. Even the Polish immigrant workers are a relatively new experience, though there was a rush of them after WW2 for obvious reasons, many fought in the war and others escaped the Nazi horror.

Rich.
Rich,

Whilst I largely agree with you points, where do you think the Jews in Cheetham Hill and various 'Ghettos' of london came from???
Why are there Russian and Eastern Orthodox Churches in many Industrial Cities in the UK.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:33 pm
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
What's that, 13% of the population? Anyway, it's Montreal that has the distinctive downtown, I don't think Toronto has much of a downtown, Toronto's more like LA; all suburb.
wow Dbd... you'd think you never went downtown... I think Toronto has an incredibly diverse downtown. As for no one every going there, just check out the entertainment district at the weekends, the Eaton centre on Saturday afternoons, Kensington market, pretty much 24/7. Do you actually live in the same city as me?

If by downtown you mean the financial district, then its pretty quiet at the weekends, but the definition of downtown toronto is pretty much bigger than that.

as to no one ever going , well, I'd guess just if the traffic jams and public transport congestion are anything to go by, that a significant proportion of the GTA actually works downtown Monday to Friday

Personally, whenever I drive to the US, which is fairly frequently, I can immediately tell that I'm in a different country, and that's nothing to do with the American flag.

I see very distinct differences. You only have to drive down a street in Batavia to see that...
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:34 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
And its next to France
Ottawa

Rich.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:34 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Me neither. call it a draw.
Well there you are. That's the Canadian way. If you two were in the US arguing about something equally pointless, you would be ranting on about each other's mother and threatening mutual violence involving firearms by now. See, it is different here.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:38 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Well there you are. That's the Canadian way. If you two were in the US arguing about something equally pointless, you would be ranting on about each other's mother and threatening mutual violence involving firearms by now. See, it is different here.
Could be the britishness more than the canadianess? Ill admit to be being at least partly canadian now in public....where as dbd would probably rather gouge out an eye with a rusty spoon than go that far
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:52 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Could be the britishness more than the canadianess? Ill admit to be being at least partly canadian now in public....where as dbd would probably rather gouge out an eye with a rusty spoon than go that far
Ha! I'm not Canadian. I just have the passport.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ha! I'm not Canadian. I just have the passport.
I dont have the passport, but I am (a bit) canadian... go figure.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 6:57 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sarah Farrand
wow Dbd... you'd think you never went downtown... I think Toronto has an incredibly diverse downtown. As for no one every going there, just check out the entertainment district at the weekends, the Eaton centre on Saturday afternoons, Kensington market, pretty much 24/7. Do you actually live in the same city as me?

If by downtown you mean the financial district, then its pretty quiet at the weekends, but the definition of downtown toronto is pretty much bigger than that.

as to no one ever going , well, I'd guess just if the traffic jams and public transport congestion are anything to go by, that a significant proportion of the GTA actually works downtown Monday to Friday

Personally, whenever I drive to the US, which is fairly frequently, I can immediately tell that I'm in a different country, and that's nothing to do with the American flag.

I see very distinct differences. You only have to drive down a street in Batavia to see that...
Obviously Batavia aint like the Kensington market but Toronto, as a whole, is very much like Chicago. I don't say that every square inch of Canada and the US is like every other, just that for someone coming from the UK, diversity is not a feature that can reasonably be claimed for North America. If diversity was what was wanted staying at home or going to India would be a better choice.
Old Jan 31st 2007, 7:00 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
How different (in your opinion) is Hamburg from Amsterdam. These being a much better comparision to Toronto Vs Chicago since Netherlands and Germany share a land border whilst UK and Netherlands dont.
I can't say I know Hamburg but, if your point is that proximity and land access has caused the cities to be similar (and both being ports) then I'd expect that to be true. Does Hamburg have myriad art galleries and museums?
Old Jan 31st 2007, 11:37 pm
Just Joined

ultranaut will become famous soon enoughultranaut will become famous soon enough

Its very big. Very very big. You have to really see it to believe it.
Even though we all speak english (and/or french) its not England. If you visit and stay in a larger city it can feel very familiar in some respects but if you go to the smaller towns they are very small and really not at all like an english 'village'.
Whilst we often feel overly familiar with the 'North American' way of life through a shared language and thus entertainment industry (film/tv), both the USA and Canada are completely different countries to England.
If you come expecting a different country with its own peculiarities, ways of life, culture and customs then you won't be dissapointed.
If you come expecting a cleaner, bigger England without any problems you will be dissapointed.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 1:23 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mizz Teapot
So true.

Summer vs winter. This is a lake near Peterborough, Ontario. Summer.... nice swimming in the lake, winter...nice walking on the middel of the lake.

Just to change the subject completely.................I've just seen my "doppleganger"

Girl in the middle (winter pic), could be my twin sister !!!!! Bizarre !!!
Old Feb 1st 2007, 1:36 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

What is Canada like?

mmmmm maybe I'm not answering the question too well ...... ask another?

Last edited by Alberta_Rose; Feb 1st 2007 at 1:44 am. Reason: didn't like my answer so deleting most of it .... just burned the dinner too! :(
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:09 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

No. Most people live in suburbs or exurbs and those suburbs or exurbs are interchangable. Mississauga is just like Plano which is just like Richardson which is just like Vaughan. OK, maybe Boston Pizza near Calgary has a view of a mountain and Boston Pizza near Halifax has a view of the sea but it's all very similar.
Boston Pizza is a Canadian franchise with an American name which was started by a Greek immigrant who jumped ship in British Columbia (Vancouver) and moved to Edmonton where he started selling Italian food.... now that's diversity.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 1st 2007 at 5:11 am.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 5:17 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

You got me there
No he doesn't ..... Canada is next to France as the province of Newfoundland & Labrador is next to St. Pierre and Miquelon.... they're less than 16 miles apart.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Feb 1st 2007 at 5:21 am.
Old Feb 1st 2007, 11:33 am
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
No he doesn't ..... Canada is next to France as the province of Newfoundland & Labrador is next to St. Pierre and Miquelon.... they're less than 16 miles apart.
I've actually been to St. Pierre (and to France!). St P&M isn't like France.

I thought of you last evening ocean, the driver of the tram in front of ours was punched by a passenger and the police were called. Since all the trams run on the same track we all had to wait for the cops even though the violent passenger had run away. After about forty minutes and much discussion with the union rep the driver calmed down a bit and agreed not to wait any longer for the police but to resume work and we all went on our way. While we were waiting a tourist asked the driver of our tram how often this happens "often enough, once a week or so". (Presumably not to the same driver though there is one who tempts even me).

This is the sort of thing that, like the beggars on every corner, you can't see from Mexico.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.