Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What Britons miss

What Britons miss

Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:14 pm
Just Joined

Lillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really nice
Default Re: What Britons miss

Don't you peeps miss the tv - any great series?
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lillyhamster
Don't you peeps miss the tv - any great series?
Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Article/blurb in the Birmingham Metro today:

"Heinz Baked Beans are the food Britons pine for most when they live abroad - followed by Walkers Crisps, Cadbury's Flakes and Tetley tea bags. The top ten list was compiled by new website www.distantbrits.co.uk"
Too busy enjoying life to worry about TV , its all crap anyway isnt it, a nation that inflicted simon callow and all those other "reality" shows on the world. Lifes to short. That goes for this place too come to think of it.
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Too busy enjoying life to worry about TV , its all crap anyway isnt it, a nation that inflicted simon callow and all those other "reality" shows on the world. Lifes to short. That goes for this place too come to think of it.
You mean Cowell, don't you? Simon Callow's completely inoffensive!
Old Mar 9th 2006, 9:26 pm
Just Joined

Lillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really niceLillyhamster is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Guess you're right , and frankly who needs LITTLE BRITAIN, mh? LOL
I'm slightly green with envy ....
Old Mar 10th 2006, 1:24 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
You mean Cowell, don't you? Simon Callow's completely inoffensive!
D'oh, yep, hes the one. Wasnt Simon Callow the marvelous jolly scottish bugger in four weddings
Old Mar 10th 2006, 10:27 am
Pinko lentil-hugger

Hipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to allHipster Contrarian is a name known to all

Originally Posted by dingbat
Speaking as a fellow veggie of thirty odd years, you will find you have cook for yourself when you realise that there is a dearth of decent veggie food in this province.
Wow, I found the opposite when I went to Vancouver, in fact I was so impressed at the amount of choice veggies have in the restaurants there, for example, as opposed to the one "option" you're usually offered in Britain.

Beware vegetable soups too - there is no law that says they have to have just veggies. Most are made with chicken or beef stock.
That's the same here in the UK, though. I don't eat soup in restaurants here because half the time they'll just tell you it was made with veggie stock when it's quite clearly chicken or even fish.

The Guardian is several days old when it arrives.
Could you not just read it online?

I'm expecting to miss (as already mentioned) proper old buildings, but I hope I won't miss too much food-wise, as I cook everything from scratch anyway and hardly eat chocolate any more. Oh, and I like those Lays crisps way too much (I must be weird, judging by what everybody else thinks of them!)

Oh, oh- Twinings teabags. Maybe I'll miss those. Tea's quite comforting! And affordable wine. That WILL be a blow, but my liver will thank me for it once the tremors have died down.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mctree
Well...don't keep it to yourself.
I'm struggling to imagine where you might be that there isn't curry. I'm guessing you're either in a northern suburb, somewhere like Newmarket or Stouffville, or you're in Little Italy in a mains powered electric wheelchair with only a twenty foot extension cord. Trapped amid the pasta and unable to reach the phone.

Brampton has dozens or curry houses. Scarborough has a broad selection of curry houses. Little India largely consists of curry houses and sari shops. The Bombay Palace on Jarvis is quite good if a little pricey. There's an Indian buffet opposite the bottom of McCaul that's quite good. If you're prepared to experiment West Indian restaurants have curry, the Real Jerk at Queen and Broadview is something of an institution but I like the Dutchpot over by the Tulip. Thai restaurants have curry (there's one on most street corners). Chinese, Malaysian, and the very dodgy looking generic "Asian" restaurants have curry. Mock English pubs have curry. Hospital cafeterias have curry, the one at Mount Sinai offers a very good curry and chips. Faux Oirish pubs have curry, Paddy O'Farrell's offers a huge bowl of curry and chips for $7.
We get our curry delivered from the BBQ Hut, we do so often enough that one time the owner stopped me on the street to ask if something was wrong because we hadn't ordered or been in for a while. That's unadventurous of us, we have flyers for, perhaps, twenty other curry delivery services but we never get around to trying them.

Really, finding curry in Toronto wouldn't challenge Sherlock Holmes.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:48 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

No problem finding curry.....duh!

Finding a good one is the problem.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:51 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hipster Contrarian
Could you not just read it online.
I do read it online. In fact most of the people I know in Toronto I know from the Gruaniad talkboard, I was at a gallery opening with a couple of them last night. I still have a subscription though as a real paper is easier on the tram.

I meant more broadly that journalism is missing, the quality of the newspapers here is very poor indeed and the television news reporting is dreadful. If I see Lloyd Robertson reading the news I always find my self thinking "that can't be right, that's got to be twisted" and checking with a more reputable source, such as <sob> CNN. Radio news is ghastly, I had to stop listening to the CBC as I found screaming "Lies! Lies! Look around you know that aint so" at the radio imparied my driving.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 12:54 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Mctree
No problem finding curry.....duh!

Finding a good one is the problem.

Thanks for the recommendations.
Vindaloo at the BBQ Hut, south side of Gerrard just east of Coxwell. If you don't like it there are plenty of other options on the block. Madras Durbar is good for South Indian. Only the Udapi Palace (India's McDonalds) is to be avoided.

I think it's cute that the Kingfisher beer at the BBQ Hut is imported. From the UK.
Old Mar 10th 2006, 5:36 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think it's cute that the Kingfisher beer at the BBQ Hut is imported. From the UK.
highly likely.. I think its made by Charles Wells in Bedford
Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:41 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h_henry
The three things that instantly spring to mind will be chips, having a beer in the pub garden with my dog and Cadbury's chocolate. SO, for the next month whilst still in the UK I'll have to make the most of all of the above (what a crying shame ).
london drugs in north van used to stock british cadburys chocolate. it was just about the only thing i missed.
Old Mar 15th 2006, 2:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Londonuck
london drugs in north van used to stock british cadburys chocolate. it was just about the only thing i missed.
They have random UK-made Cadbury's items in Superstore here - if you can't tell by the high price tag that it's imported, the union flag sticker on the back confirms it
Old Mar 15th 2006, 3:29 pm
Native Vancouverite

Susie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really niceSusie Derkins is just really nice

Hi! Been lurking for a few weeks now. Just wanted to pop in to say that for all you Brits wanting some good English chocolate in Vancouver, head to West 4th to the Candy Shop (or something like that). They carry the full-fat cream chocolate you've grown to love, imported from the UK. They also have Irn Bru.

And I can't imagine where in Vancouver the other poster is that she can't find good vegetarian food. BC was, and still is, hippy haven. There are loads of vegetarian places around, very high quality, and much cheaper than London. Well, everything's cheaper than London.