Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What Britons miss

What Britons miss

Old Mar 8th 2006, 3:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold
Default What Britons miss

Article/blurb in the Birmingham Metro today:

"Heinz Baked Beans are the food Britons pine for most when they live abroad - followed by Walkers Crisps, Cadbury's Flakes and Tetley tea bags. The top ten list was compiled by new website www.distantbrits.co.uk"

Pretty much matches what's been said on here dozens of times, so it must be true
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:17 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: What Britons miss

Originally Posted by cov-canuck

"Heinz Baked Beans are the food Britons pine for most when they live abroad - followed by Walkers Crisps, Cadbury's Flakes and Tetley tea bags. The top ten list was compiled by new website www.distantbrits.co.uk"

Pretty much matches what's been said on here dozens of times, so it must be true
The three things that instantly spring to mind will be chips, having a beer in the pub garden with my dog and Cadbury's chocolate. SO, for the next month whilst still in the UK I'll have to make the most of all of the above (what a crying shame ).
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:24 pm
Banned

Athome has a spectacular aura aboutAthome has a spectacular aura aboutAthome has a spectacular aura about

Actually any chocolate conisieur will tell you that UK chocolate is not in the top 5. I fail to see why anyone would miss it other than through never having had some seriously good chocolate.

Sprungli in Switzerland and Godiva in Belgium are my top picks.

Learing to live without beans is also no hardship if you care about your diet at all and want to eat healthy food.

Walker's crisps in their little piddling bags are certainly a major rip off of UK consumers. Figure out the cost per 100 grams and you'll see what I mean. As for taste, well that is a personal thing and I will concede some people prefer them just like they prefer poor chocolate.

It's worth noting that none of these most missed items is exactlly health food. Says something about the diet don't you think?
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

h_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of lighth_henry is a glorious beacon of light

Hate to disagree but.....Granted Belgium chocolate has to be one of the best, especially the pralines. But, that said, it may have less cocoa and more sugar but sorry I love Cadbury's.

Nova Scotia has beans so that's good plus if you make your own sauce and don't add sugar, beans are very healthy.

Re the small packets of crisps - yes I'm one of those that prefer them as well as poor chocolate

[/quote]It's worth noting that none of these most missed items is exactlly health food. Says something about the diet don't you think?[/QUOTE]

Not at all. I eat very healthily but there's nothing wrong with the odd beer, chips etc. Everything in moderation and all that...
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:40 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h_henry
The three things that instantly spring to mind will be chips, having a beer in the pub garden with my dog and Cadbury's chocolate. SO, for the next month whilst still in the UK I'll have to make the most of all of the above (what a crying shame ).

Just make sure your dog buys a round or two!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:44 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Ah, the craving of familiarity thread

Only thing I miss that really matters is family.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 1066

Just make sure your dog buys a round or two!
I've often thought that he should have one of those keg things around his neck like Snorbitz used to have, but it wouldn't work so well with lager - sloshed up and warm. Brandy would work though...keep you warm inside on a chilly night.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 4:57 pm
Livin it large

Mctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant futureMctree has a brilliant future

Lucky all those things are available here.

Now just need to find a decent curry....
Old Mar 8th 2006, 5:46 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by h_henry
Brandy would work though...keep you warm inside on a chilly night.
Sorted!! I won't say a word to the RSPCA, honest!!
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:12 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Athome
Actually any chocolate conisieur will tell you that UK chocolate is not in the top 5. I fail to see why anyone would miss it other than through never having had some seriously good chocolate.
They miss it because a lot of the regular chocolate available here would fail to make it into the top 500.

UK chocolate tastes very very good compared to the local chocolate, as a result may be remembered as being better than it really is.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 6:29 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
They miss it because a lot of the regular chocolate available here would fail to make it into the top 500.

UK chocolate tastes very very good compared to the local chocolate, as a result may be remembered as being better than it really is.
Im sure canadians in the Uk are saying the exact same thing about canadian chocolate vs UK in reverse. Its a familiarity thing, like nearly everything that makes these lists. (except a good curry )
Old Mar 8th 2006, 7:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mctree
Lucky all those things are available here.

Go buy yourself a Curry cook book and start making your own, you must have all the ingredients at hand where you live.
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:26 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Im sure canadians in the Uk are saying the exact same thing about canadian chocolate vs UK in reverse. Its a familiarity thing, like nearly everything that makes these lists. (except a good curry )
nah... my wife and her Canadian friends really took to it when she lived in the UK..

she and her friends had Kraft smooth peanut butter, KD, liptons chicken noodle soup, and Swiss chalet dipping sauce shipped over when we lived in the UK..

UK chocolate was seen as one of the pluses, that and cheap French wine, availability of good cheese , granted UK chocolate came a distant 2nd to the Swiss and Belgian stuff
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:27 pm
Part Time Poster

Originally Posted by Mctree
just head north to Malton, or Brampton

its nearly as good as birmingham here,

it helps if you can speak punjabi
Old Mar 8th 2006, 8:51 pm
Forum Regular

Carly H will become famous soon enough

Now I know its not as tasty as chocolate or as enjoyable as wine, but... could anyone tell me if I need to arrive in BC with a large supply of Bisto gravy.
I feel I need to explain myself.
I'm vegetarian and I have tried lots or gravy but I like the original powder Bisto... yes I know it's sad. Its very cheep and it works for me!
Should I stock load in my suit case.
I have already been out and brought an obscene amount of underwear of the back of a thread last week titled 'Knickers'

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.