British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   what age is the right age to move to Canada? or is there such a thing? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/what-age-right-age-move-canada-there-such-thing-354251/)

babyblue Feb 10th 2006 6:31 pm

what age is the right age to move to Canada? or is there such a thing?

An interesting theory!

Some say it is good to move here young, while others say older and wiser. So i thought what about a little poll to see what the average age is of people settling here and who actually lasts.
Does age really contribute to the settlement process?

Or is it all in the mind?

I am sure i am not alone when i say that i have spoken to many people in canada about their life here so far. Many have been here for many years whilst others only a short time. everyone has a different story to tell. what is yours?
Do we (as adults) feel more pressure to settle or do we feel more secure?

If you are younger are you more likely to be flippant about life and therefor more relaxed?

For me, I feel as a mother, a tremendous pressure to make it work. Is this a healthy force?

would i have gone back if i did not have this responsibility? possibly!

whats your view?

i had added a discrete poll so nobody's age is public.

britishvixen21 Feb 10th 2006 6:40 pm

Re: what age is the right age to move to Canada? or is there such a thing?

Originally Posted by babyblue
An interesting theory!

Some say it is good to move here young, while others say older and wiser. So i thought what about a little poll to see what the average age is of people settling here and who actually lasts.

I am sure i am not alone when i say that i have spoken to many people in canada about their life here so far. Many have been here for many years whilst others only a short time. everyone has a different story to tell. what is yours?

If you are younger are you more likely to be flippant about life and therefor more relaxed?

For me, I feel as a mother, a tremendous pressure to make it work. Is this a healthy force?

whats your view?

I came here at the tender age of 21 and jsut came travelling thats an awesome time to get established and what now, but for emigrating (which i initially never intended to do) maybe older wiser, bit more money in the bank more head on your shoulders and not in your pants hehehee.

Souvenir Feb 10th 2006 6:41 pm

Probably a better idea to ask how old we were when we arrived, not how old we are now.

An interesting theory!

whats your view?

neill Feb 10th 2006 6:45 pm

Moved when i was 25. I've pondered this one for a while..... I think the great thing about moving when you're young is less to worry about, maybe no dependents, and not too much worry about pensions. Basically you are doing it for yourself and if it goes wonky, you only have yourself to console. On the other hand.... decisions have to be made about whether to continue paying into your pensions in the UK at an early age or make a complete go-of-it in Canada and amass retirement equity here solely. On the plus side, my parents will hopefully be alive for a long time to come, and are still keen on visiting (at the moment).

Also as youngsters we naturally feel inclined to constantly 'improve our lot' and are always pondering the what-ifs, whereas olders are probably quite 'happy with their lot' in Canada, having lived/worked a long life in the UK.

I also worry about the day when i _might_ want to have kids. I have serious reservations about the high-school education system here, admittedly based on hearing other parents talk about what their kids get up to at school.

An interesting theory!

whats your view?

babyblue Feb 10th 2006 6:50 pm

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Probably a better idea to ask how old we were when we arrived, not how old we are now.

you are probably right but i can't change it now!

iaink Feb 10th 2006 7:21 pm

Well, if you have already applied or are here already its a bit late to worry about it, and if you havent applied yet, I would say the best age is whatever you will be 3 years from now!

FWIW I was <thinks hard> 27?

macadian Feb 10th 2006 7:51 pm

I don't think their is an 'ideal' age in general terms. Great deal depends on the individuals personal circumstances, ambitions, commitements and expectations. Some may suggest that the younger you are, the better. Having been part of this forum for a few years now...the experience of others has indicated that 'it ain't necessarily so'.

I was 57...but employent was not a factor so that makes a huge difference. Had it not been the case...I doubt I would be here...reality check has got to be paramount in any descision...no matter your age.

Jingle Feb 10th 2006 7:52 pm

Yippee I was the first one in the 46 - 55 group ... :D

J :)

ellsie Feb 10th 2006 8:07 pm

Gosh I am glad I voted now. Another month and I would have gone up an age bracket! ;)

dbd Feb 10th 2006 8:13 pm

Older Canadians move away, to Florida, to Arizona, to anywhere warm so one would have to think it perverse to move Canada at a great age. Anyone over, say, thirty, might want to look at somewhere with a more hospitable climate.

macadian Feb 10th 2006 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by dbd
Older Canadians move away, to Florida, to Arizona, to anywhere warm so one would have to think it perverse to move Canada at a great age. Anyone over, say, thirty, might want to look at somewhere with a more hospitable climate.

Candyass....:) :) :) :)

Alberta_Rose Feb 10th 2006 8:45 pm

Originally Posted by dbd
..... one would have to think it perverse to move Canada at a great age. Anyone over, say, thirty, might want to look at somewhere with a more hospitable climate.

Sorry (young man) but ............... TOSH! :D
If that remark was not made with tongue firmly in cheek I suggest you wash your mouth out with soap. Immediately!!

I think it's more to do with frame of mind and outlook rather than age.

Younger people may feel they are more adventurous, and globally mobile, with few ties and plentious funds, but maybe the more mature of us, :p , moving here with families will make more of an effort to make it work out.

At a certain age .... call it mid-life crisis if you will ..... many evaluate exactly what they have achieved in life, and what the next 25 years plus may hold. If the horizon looks as bleak as ours did it's not a huge leap of imagination, even if does take more effort than a "youngster", to see oneself trying again in a new direction, new country or whatever, to change that outlook. I think it maybe takes more courage and determination though.

Perhaps the "oldies" of us, who have not only ourselves, but our kids, (and in many cases the impact on even more elderly parents to consider), may actually be more committed to that change, once decided, and to MAKE it work, even if things are not as we totally expect when we get here. We have too much invested in this to walk away from it if the going gets tough!! Young people can have a much more "suck it and see" attititude.

Note I am not saying they DO, and will not say 30's, 40's, 50's or whatever is better than 20's. It's down to the individual in the end and how much they want it to succeed and are able to adapt to change. The ones that fail are the ones who can't adapt (whatever that takes) and move on with their lives, and that can be at any age!

snowqueen Feb 10th 2006 8:50 pm

Originally Posted by ellsie
Gosh I am glad I voted now. Another month and I would have gone up an age bracket! ;)

Me too..! though you didn't say WHICH age bracket! I happen to have married a younger man... my toyboy husband is all of 13 months younger than me, so I safely took our median age..left on my own, I'd be fast approaching Jenwren!!

Seriously though, I've sometimes wondered about the 'what if we'd done this earlier' question. We both used to live in South Africa, so were used to being away. We also travelled the world in 1990 soon after we were married. We thought about going to live in Oz/NZ but decided they were too far away. Had been to Canada and loved it, but never thought of living there. Ended up coming to Ireland by default, and it is only now, as more 'mature' adults, that we can see what Canada has to offer, especially for kids. Having done all we've done, we are far more confident of our decision, and perhaps less daunted by it, though having kids does put a whole new slant on that:eek: We also have a ton of equity in our house, which helps:D

I really think the time is right for different people at different times of their lives. As I said, when we maybe had the chance to think of Canada in the early 90's we didn't want to......?! You change as you get older (pass my zimmer frame!) and your perspective on life alters. But there is no point in wondering what if we'd done this or that, because you didn't and you are here, now, so get on with it and look FORWARD!!:)

Snowqueen

Judy in Calgary Feb 10th 2006 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by dbd
Older Canadians move away, to Florida, to Arizona, to anywhere warm

I don't know a Canadian who has made a permanent move to the United States in old age. But I do know several Snow Birds who go south for the winters and return to Canada for the summers. All the ones I've known who no longer are doing it came back to Canada to die. Actually, come to think of it, that's quite a relevant criterion by which to judge a country.

Souvenir Feb 10th 2006 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I don't know a Canadian who has made a permanent move to the United States in old age. But I do know several Snow Birds who go south for the winters and return to Canada for the summers. All the ones I've known who no longer are doing it came back to Canada to die. Actually, come to think of it, that's quite a relevant criterion by which to judge a country.

You are quite right. The "Come to Canada and die" theme will be the cornerstone of CIC's new immigration campaign. Celine wasn't available to do the soundtrack but apparently Leonard Cohen has offered his services.