Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What accomodation did you have when you arrived

What accomodation did you have when you arrived

Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:20 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: What accomodation did you have when you arrived

I stayed in a furnished flat for a month when I came in the summer. I bought a condo during that time, then went back to England to pack up, etc. When I arrived back in Calgary I stayed in a B&B just around the corner for a few nights until I got my condo liveable (ie until I got the locks changed, a mattress and toilet paper).
Old Nov 9th 2006, 12:42 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ray1968
what happened after the first week at the delta?
I was expected to use that week to find somewhere to rent or buy. We moved to a run down building on the harbour in Port Credit because it offered furnished apartments. It's since been rebranded http://www.thewatersideinncda.com/ . After a while we bought a mattress and a picnic table and moved to an unfurnished place in the same building. We acepted an invitation from Filter Queen to come and demonstrate their vacuum and that got us a set of steak knives; then our only cutlery. We stayed in the apartment overlooking the harbour until we got evicted for breeding.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:12 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I started off in the "comfort suites" hotel here... hotel accomodation with kitchinette etc. After a month or so I moved into my own apartment and started to furnish it as I went along.

The airfare, stay in the hotel and a rental car was paid for by my new employer...but then they chased me, I didnt chase them.

Last edited by iaink; Nov 9th 2006 at 1:25 pm.
Old Nov 9th 2006, 1:50 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

We spent the first night in an airport hotel, then moved to a furnished apartment on Bathurst street for a couple of months. I'd booked it over the internet in the UK - took me ages and many fruitless calls to Canada to find something! I found that the rent advertised on the net tended to be at least $100 less than the price I got when I called - either I sounded a bit dodgy on the phone or thats just the way it is!

The apartment was alright (stuff on the internet never looks as good as in real life, does it?) but it was in a good location, quite comfy and we had cable/internet, which was very important!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

Lionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the roughLionel_in_Ontario is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by Madmac
Two weeks at the Holiday Inn Express, Guelph funded by ourselves
Wow, I admire you!

I slept in a SINGLE bed in a bedroom with my gf for a month before we got our own apartment. Then we upgraded to a simple twin...

Very cosy, but CIC can't argue that we're not common-law!
Old Nov 9th 2006, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

dentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud ofdentaltech has much to be proud of

we are staying in a hoel room with kitchen etc , due to move out 21st November. Been here since 1st october , really !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! looking forward to moving into our house. Paid for by ourselves , we negotiated an acceptable rate . 2 adults , 2 teenages in 1 room , :scared:
Old Nov 10th 2006, 7:20 am
Forum Regular

charlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of lightcharlie1 is a glorious beacon of light

Stayed in University accommodation (studio apartment with kitchenette etc, very comfortable and very cheap) for 1 week before arranging a short term rental deal. Stayed in rental (flat share) for 6 weeks before buying and moving into our present house.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:44 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Three Days in the Micmac Quality Inn, then two days in the Bayer's Lake Quality Inn, then 6 months in a rented 3+1 bed house (first two weeks unfurnished!).

Originally Posted by ray1968
Before you bought/rented your current house what type of accomodation did you have , stay with friends, rental, long tern hotel ?? and how was it arranged

We are currently working (advising really) with a relocation company for expats so any answers would be appreciated - thank you
Old Nov 10th 2006, 11:54 am
BE Enthusiast

SAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond reputeSAW 04 has a reputation beyond repute

Stayed with our Realtor for the first five weeks then moved into our own house.

QUOTE=ray1968]Before you bought/rented your current house what type of accomodation did you have , stay with friends, rental, long tern hotel ?? and how was it arranged

We are currently working (advising really) with a relocation company for expats so any answers would be appreciated - thank you[/QUOTE]
Old Nov 10th 2006, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

We had a rental before we came over. viewed by our friends who sent us photos etc and they paid the depoist for us. We came over on a thursday and was meant to stay at our friends till the saturday and then move into the rental. Well the landlord was still 'finishing' one of the rooms so asked if we could leave it a week or so. That was fine with us and our friends. but we didnt actually get to move in till 4 weeks later!! oh well its a good job our friends didnt mind us, a 13 yr old and a very grumpy cat living with them
Old Nov 10th 2006, 5:51 pm
AOR 16th August 2004

tirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by dbd33
One week in the Delta Chelsea funded by my new employer. The cost, and that of the airfare, being repayable if I chose to leave within two years. Fortunately, I was fired.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:37 pm
Forum Regular

rabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud ofrabrol has much to be proud of
Talking Re: What accomodation did you have when you arrived

On our arrival we stayed with a "Senior" couple who have a detached house. our entire family fitted cosily into their rent free basement (thats me, the wife and our 3 kids)!

My wife & I had previously spend 5 days staying at the home of the Senior couple when we had come for face to face interview 2.5 months before our arrival, so they weren't complete strangers.

We weren't limited in the time we could spend with them, but we did want to be in our own place before Christmas so we ended up there for just a couple of weeks.

In the end the rental property we found was through connections - it had not been advertised in the local paper.

It sure was an experience, but one that will be fondly remembered. We generally have a meal with the Senior couple every few weeks (either they come to us, or we are invited back there) and they have become like surrogate Grandparents to our kids. You can't ask for more than that!!!

Rob
Old Nov 10th 2006, 6:45 pm
AOR 16th August 2004

tirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant futuretirrellz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by rabrol
On our arrival we stayed with a "Senior" couple who have a detached house. our entire family fitted cosily into their rent free basement (thats me, the wife and our 3 kids)!

My wife & I had previously spend 5 days staying at the home of the Senior couple when we had come for face to face interview 2.5 months before our arrival, so they weren't complete strangers.

We weren't limited in the time we could spend with them, but we did want to be in our own place before Christmas so we ended up there for just a couple of weeks.

In the end the rental property we found was through connections - it had not been advertised in the local paper.

It sure was an experience, but one that will be fondly remembered. We generally have a meal with the Senior couple every few weeks (either they come to us, or we are invited back there) and they have become like surrogate Grandparents to our kids. You can't ask for more than that!!!

Rob
This is great, it is exactly what I want to happen to us but have no idea where to get a senior couple in Calgary and the surrogate grandparents but definitely attracts us! aaah, you are so fortunate, you are right - you can't ask for much more than that.