Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

What about outgoings? Elec?Gas?

What about outgoings? Elec?Gas?

Old Apr 28th 2004, 9:45 am
Just Joined

spatch will become famous soon enough
Thumbs up What about outgoings? Elec?Gas?

I have been reading all the excellent postings on tax etc and realise that we cannot compare our English salary to our salary offer from Canada.

It was recommended to take the Canadian salary eg $52 and then deduct from that all the outgoings. I understand now about the tax and also cable charges but I wonder if anyone could help me estimate my outgoings for electricity and gas. We will be living in BC and will have say an average sized house for a family of 4.

This would be really helpful.

Also any ideas on say how much car insurance will be in BC?

Is there anything else I've got to remember to take into consideration (the job does include extended benefits).

Thanks.
Old Apr 28th 2004, 12:34 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What about outgoings? Elec?Gas?

Originally posted by spatch
I have been reading all the excellent postings on tax etc and realise that we cannot compare our English salary to our salary offer from Canada.

It was recommended to take the Canadian salary eg $52 and then deduct from that all the outgoings. I understand now about the tax and also cable charges but I wonder if anyone could help me estimate my outgoings for electricity and gas. We will be living in BC and will have say an average sized house for a family of 4.

Is there anything else I've got to remember to take into consideration (the job does include extended benefits).

Thanks.
There are a few posts in the archive about living expenses, this is snipped from a previous reply...

To give an idea, my monthly expenses (for two and a baby) are ;Mortgage and property tax ($110k house) ~$900, Car and house insurance (Full noclaims) ~$250, groceries $500, Electric (hydro) $150 , Phone/internet $50, Cable $40, Heating oil and wood $100 monthly average over the year, Car expenses (Gas, repairs etc.) $400.

That is for two and a toddler in Ont. Gives a rough idea though.

Iain
Old Apr 28th 2004, 3:10 pm
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
HI

Whereabouts in BC are you going?

We are a family of 4 so thought this might be of help. The 2 most expensive bills are for house tax (300K house $3,000) and car insurance. They are not keen to take any no claims bonus from the UK and so it is like starting at the bottom again.

We pay $95 for cable and internet but we do have a lot of extras with that as we wanted to get BBC Canada etc.

Electricity is cheaper than the UK, obviously that will vary greatly depending on the way your house is heated.

Our food bill for 4 is $600 a month, our children are 8 and 10 though and eat a fair amount!

On the whole I think bills are cheaper than the UK but unfortunately can appear a lot more expensive due to the lower incomes!

Hope this helps
JJ
Old Apr 28th 2004, 3:13 pm
Forum Regular

joggerjo is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
Sorry forgot to mention BCMedical - for a family of 4 it is $108 per month.

JJ