What the ****

Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:36 pm
Forum Regular

mutchg1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default What the ****

We bought or dream house last week signed all the paperwork with realtor and lawyer home inspection done furniture ordered, early move in date arranged for Sat 6th Dec.
On Friday afternoon we recived a phone call from or lawyer saying that the seller has a shortfall in there money and the title cant be released. Our options are give them until the 10th to get the money, Sue them or walk away. Really ****** off with the canadian system this should have been picked up right at the start, I start work on the 16th so need to be in a place real soon.:curse:
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:41 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What the ****

Originally Posted by mutchg1
We bought or dream house last week signed all the paperwork with realtor and lawyer home inspection done furniture ordered, early move in date arranged for Sat 6th Dec.
On Friday afternoon we recived a phone call from or lawyer saying that the seller has a shortfall in there money and the title cant be released. Our options are give them until the 10th to get the money, Sue them or walk away. Really ****** off with the canadian system this should have been picked up right at the start, I start work on the 16th so need to be in a place real soon.:curse:
It ain't perfect.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

Never had this happen before - do you know how much the shortfall is - what has the lawyer recommended and ask him why its so late in the day that you are finding this out
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:45 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Not sure I understand, why would the "seller" having a shortfall affect the sale?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:47 pm
Forum Regular

Our Bank will not release the funds when there is outstanding money on the property(they do not have enough to pay of there morgage as they have remorgaged the house).
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:47 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not sure I understand, why would the "seller" having a shortfall affect the sale?
The only thing that would make me think is a shortfall to settle the mortgage therefore the charge would not be released by the current lender ?
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:51 pm

Our Bank will not release the funds when there is outstanding money on the property(they do not have enough to pay of there morgage as they have remorgaged the house).
Originally Posted by Tangram
The only thing that would make me think is a shortfall to settle the mortgage therefore the charge would not be released by the current lender ?
Aahh OK makes sense. Thanks.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:53 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Aahh OK makes sense. Thanks.
Are you stalking me ??????
Old Dec 7th 2008, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
Are you stalking me ??????
M a y b e !
Old Dec 7th 2008, 4:17 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=mutchg1;7045779]
On Friday afternoon we recived a phone call from or lawyer saying that the seller has a shortfall in there money and the title cant be released. QUOTE]

As a realtor in Alberta we have just been notified that they can happen. Someone sells their house for less than their mortgage. We are being told as selling agents to check that if this going to happen, advise the sellers to find a way to make up the mortgage.

It is something that is going to happen a lot over the next few years!
Old Dec 7th 2008, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

Reply to Helen :

So if this is the case and its going to be alllowed to happen are the buyers, ie us going to be covered for all the expenses we have already laid out before even moving into the property ?? for example $400 for a property inspection $1000 for lawyers fees, and we had given $15,000 to the realtor to show the sellers we were serious with our offer. I STILL cant understand why this was allowed to happen in the first place, surely the sellers of a property should know what they can except to pay off their mortgage in full.
I know when we sold ours back in the uk we certainly did our sums correctly its not brain science.
Can i also add that if you are telling me that this is going to happen over the next few years that the whole system of property buying should be immediatly reviewed and changed, or less and less people will be buying properties in the next few years !!

Last edited by mutchg1; Dec 7th 2008 at 6:14 pm.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Reply to Helen :

So if this is the case and its going to be alllowed to happen are the buyers, ie us going to be covered for all the expenses we have already laid out before even moving into the property ?? for example $400 for a property inspection $1000 for lawyers fees, and we had given $15,000 to the realtor to show the sellers we were serious with our offer. I STILL cant understand why this was allowed to happen in the first place, surely the sellers of a property should know what they can except to pay off their mortgage in full.
I know when we sold ours back in the uk we certainly did our sums correctly its not brain science.
Can i also add that if you are telling me that this is going to happen over the next few years that the whole system of property buying should be immediatly reviewed and changed, or less and less people will be buying properties in the next few years !!
From what I understand your lawyer should have done the necessary research to ensure that your purchase was free and clear.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 8:57 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Originally Posted by flashman
From what I understand your lawyer should have done the necessary research to ensure that your purchase was free and clear.
Research or insisting money is deposited in trust to cover the shortfall prior to completion ? Research wouldn't do much good if they say we have the money and they don't or they later spend it on other things.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 9:54 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Reply to Helen :

In a perfect world it shouldn't have happened. The sellers realtor should have advised the sellers to get it sorted prior to an offer coming in or immediately after an offer was accepted knowing the price was not going to cover the mortagage. Your deposit of $15000 should be held in trust and should be with a real estate office and if you are unable to buy the house due to the sellers mistake then you should get it all back. You should not have paid for a lawyer yet...you have no house so he has not done anything yet. As for your home inspection, you do have an issue with the sellers, sellers realtor and your own realtor, who were all able to advise you about the situation and if the deal collapses then you could for the money from someone.

From your original post, you state the purchase date has been delayed. Which is a pain in butt and maybe there is some compensation to be had there from someone.
Old Dec 7th 2008, 10:23 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

When we were looking to buy a house one house was back on the market as the sale hadn't gone through because the buyers didnt have enough money. This didn't become clear until the day they were moving, everything was packed. I believe they are suing the supposed buyers.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.