Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wet Blanket time .....

Wikiposts

Wet Blanket time .....

Old Aug 18th 2005, 5:46 pm
keep checking....

mhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to allmhhp is a name known to all
Default Re: Wet Blanket time .....

Originally Posted by stepnek
Ooooh yes! Seeing as this seems to be such a bad tempered thread everyone should look out for the William Shatner version of "I am Canadian". It makes me smile everytime I hear it!
You mean this one:

"I am not a Starfleet commander, or T.J. Hooker. I don't live on Starship NCC-170...[some audience members say "one"], or own a phaser. And I don't know anybody named Bones, Sulu, or Spock. And no, I've never had green alien sex, though I'm sure it would be quite an evening. [Pomp and Circumstance begins playing] I speak English and French, not Klingon! I drink Labatt's, not Romulan ale! And when someone says to me 'Live long and prosper', I seriously mean it when I say, 'Get a life'. My doctor's name is not McCoy, it's Ginsberg. And tribbles were puppets, not real animals. PUPPETS! And when I speak, I never, ever talk like every. Word. Is. Its. Own. Sentence. I live in California, but I was raised in Montreal. And yes, I've gone where no man has gone before, but I was in Mexico and her father gave me permission! My name is William Shatner, and I am Canadian!"

—from a Just for Laughs appearance, it is a parody of the popular Molson Canadian Commercial entitled "I Am Canadian".

So disillusioning:scared::scared::scared:
Old Aug 18th 2005, 6:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mhhp
You mean this one:
Thats the one.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 8:57 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Hi, I originally posted so in answer to some of the questions

No - they are Not all IT professionals
Yes - they have tried other provinces (but not other professions..)
YES - they do like Canada and their families are staying here

It is just that no one is forcing us to come over here - and for ones that are about to make the move, don't be suprised if getting a job is harder than you ever anticipated.

Clare
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 9:14 am
Jenny & Tony

Happydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud ofHappydayz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Hi, I originally posted so in answer to some of the questions

No - they are Not all IT professionals
Yes - they have tried other provinces (but not other professions..)
YES - they do like Canada and their families are staying here

It is just that no one is forcing us to come over here - and for ones that are about to make the move, don't be suprised if getting a job is harder than you ever anticipated.

Clare
Hi Clare, There is obviously a lack of jobs available in certain parts of Canada,
but of those jobs that are around, are they mainly in civil service,retail and tourism, or other fields.
Tony
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:23 am
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Happydayz
of those jobs that are around, are they mainly in civil service,retail and tourism, or other fields
According to the July 2005 Labour Force Survey published by Statistics Canada, there were 3,123,600 public sector employees and 13,049,700 private sector workers in Canada. Of the private sector workers, 10,553,200 were employees, and 2,496,500 were self-employed.

Of the 16,173,300 workers in Canada, 4,000,300 were engaged in what Statistics Canada calls the goods-producing sector. They included those who worked in manufacturing, construction, agriculture, forestry, fishing, mining, oil and gas, and utilities. (Industries have been listed in descending order, with the one that employs the most workers appearing first.)

12,127,000 people worked in the services-producing sector. They included those who worked in trade, health care, education, technical services, accommodation and food services, financial services, public administration, transportation, culture and recreation, and some other industries. (Again industries have been listed in descending order according to the number of workers for which they provide work.)

I recognise that unemployment rates are defined differently in different countries. However, for what it's worth, here are the seasonally adjusted rates for July 2005.
Canada : 6.9%

Newfoundland and Labrador : 12.1%

Prince Edward Island : 9.1%

Nova Scotia : 7.6%

New Brunswick : 9.3%

Quebec : 8.0%

Ontario : 7.3%

Manitoba : 4.6%

Saskatchewan : 4.9%

Alberta : 3.7%

British Columbia : 6.3%
The web site mentions only the provinces. It doesn't mention the territories (Yukon, Northwest Territories and Nunavut). I don't know why.

The distribution of jobs varies from province to province. I think it goes without saying that the fishing industry is located primarily in coastal provinces rather than landlocked provinces, and so on.

The federal government's Labour Force Survey provides a more detailed breakdown, by industry, than I have quoted here. You also could get more detailed statistics by doing Internet searches for information about the economies of individual provinces.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:27 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Don't forget newly arrived Canadians don't get included in the unemployment stats....

There are jobs here - of course there are. Otherwise I'd be posting from UK.

BUT they are not as easy to find (on the whole, there are always some wonderful exceptions) as in the UK.

Be prepared to market yourself (mention job hunting to friends, neighbours, fellow church goers etc. )
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 10:42 am
Cowtown

The 'Probelm' is that many of the immigrants to Canada are the cream of their professions. In IT especially many of them ran businesses in the past and never had any trouble finding contract work - even when others around them were out of work for long periods at a time. Some moved easily from one permanent job to another with little difficulty while others remained unemployed. It can be hard for someone who has been in this position and never had any difficulties finding work to appreciate how hard it will be to find work in Canada.

Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:01 am
Just Joined

Sheila and Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

The reason Brits have such a hard time finding employment is largely due to poor oral hygeine. Unfortunately Canada is an extremely teethist society and sadly it's usually the case that applicants with the whitest teeth get the job. This explains why 95% of Brits in Canada are unemployed.

My advice, don't waste your time networking or writing perfect resumes, spend a few thousand dollars on teeth whitening and see that phone ring!
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sheila and Andy
...and see that phone ring!
What marvellous eyesight you must have.
Old Aug 22nd 2005, 11:28 am
Just Joined

Sheila and Andy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
What marvellous eyesight you must have.
Telephones in Basildon are required by law to be manned at all times by Kosavan refugees, so really it's not complicated. My balkan domestic simply furnishes me with the telephone when it rings.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:38 am
Forum Regular

matty266 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Sheila and Andy
The reason Brits have such a hard time finding employment is largely due to poor oral hygeine. Unfortunately Canada is an extremely teethist society and sadly it's usually the case that applicants with the whitest teeth get the job. This explains why 95% of Brits in Canada are unemployed.

My advice, don't waste your time networking or writing perfect resumes, spend a few thousand dollars on teeth whitening and see that phone ring!
Hmm Light House in a desert comes to mind for that statement

Bottom line is that people that are qualified in UK may not be Qualified in Canada and also i believe that some Brits who emigrate are arrogant and to used to sitting at a desk and not adaptable,

If you look at Canada as a whole IT professional make up a very small percentage while manual trades are more apparent. I found the average Canadian is more adaptable and more practical than the English counter part

If people where to move over and integrate with the community I'm sure they'd find more job offers maybe not in IT but good Pay instead of thinking hey ill emigrate cause i Have 2 degrees and all the IT qualifications under the sun look at the job adverts and say i can do that at 60k a year and find you have no credability,

My advice to all those highly qualified UK people who think they will just walk into a job because they did it in UK, wake up go to Tim Horton's and grab a coffee, because now you will have to work to get that job and make contacts by networking,

I'm sorry to for venting my wit on this forum for this subject, but its annoying that Brits perceive that they walk into the dream life because they got PR satus!
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 2:26 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
You have to remember that Brits have a global reputation as whiners or whingers (Australian?). It must be a genetic disorder.
Not sure about the 'Brits' reputation....more to do with that of the English from what I can gather. We Scots are the original pioneers, :scared: and tend to 'get on with it' to a greater degree when its comes to making a new life for ourselves, (though willing to conceede their are exceptions )...great believers when it comes to the age old doctrine of 'When in Rome etc...Works for me.

I'm off fishing now...or have I already began?
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 4:22 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
We Scots are the original pioneers, :scared: and tend to 'get on with it' to a greater degree when its comes to making a new life for ourselves, (though willing to conceede their are exceptions )...great believers when it comes to the age old doctrine of 'When in Rome etc...Works for me.

Precisely. There's still a need for that pioneering spirit because, unlike the UK, Canada is still a work in progress.
Old Aug 23rd 2005, 1:41 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by flashman
Precisely. There's still a need for that pioneering spirit because, unlike the UK, Canada is still a work in progress.
You got it right ... you can realise your dreams over here, but you've got to work at it.

Sometimes you have to make a choice ... what's more important, your old career or your new future?