Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

West to East or vice versa?

West to East or vice versa?

Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:17 am
Just Joined

gaffer. is an unknown quantity at this point
Question West to East or vice versa?

So I've successfully applied for a working visa for 2011/12 to Canada. Now that is all sorted the next thing I need to decide is my flights...

I've never been to Canada before so I am pretty openminded when it comes to visiting places. My general plan is to head out in August, work a few months in a city somewhere before moving up into the mountains for the winter season. I've been looking so far, and can see that up in Whistler/Blackcomb they are obviously looking for winter staff but they also provide accommodation at cheaper rates (often said also to be more sociable!!).

The thing is, I've only researched this place because I know it (somewhat). Am I missing out on a trick by not looking at the East coast? Would I be better working in Toronto/Montreal for a couple of months before moving to a ski resort on that side of the country?

Either way I am going to see all 3 major cities I just don't really know in what order. Does anyone have any experience of this, and if so, what did you do?

May I also take this opportunity to say hi, and thanks in advance for your replies
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:46 am
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice
Default Re: West to East or vice versa?

My brother lives in Whistler and according to him it is easier to get a job and flat for the winter if you arrive early August / September. Hopefully someone else who has done it will chip in!

Have a great time, it will be an amazing experience!
Old Jan 27th 2011, 11:58 am
Just Joined

Hi! Thanks for the quick reply. Did your brother start working straight the way out in Whistler? Obviously there are jobs to be had in bar work etc which I would look into but the 'mountainside staff' wouldn't be required until later in the year, no?

Like I said, I'm pretty openminded and will try my hand at most jobs (for the right pay of course ) so I'm hoping that this approach will mean that finding casual work won't be "too" difficult
Old Jan 28th 2011, 7:23 pm
New Scotland Girl

alexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nicealexisatk is just really nice

I was hoping someone else would reply who knows more. But I was under the impression that if you show up in November/December for jobs they would already be filled and you would be hard pressed to find accomondation - the resorts hire their ski side staff earlier in the year. You'll definietly want to find out when and incorporate it into your plans.
Old Jan 30th 2011, 5:54 pm
Just Joined

I understand that the application process begins in August sometime, and I plan on being in the 'region' from August onwards. So I suppose I could move up there straight the way. I was hoping to secure myself a job and perhaps accommodation for the winter months whilst living in the city for the first couple of months.

I appreciate your help! Thanks for taking the time to reply
Old Jan 30th 2011, 8:30 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really niceMrs-G is just really nice

I worked in Lake Louise a long time back. If you are just looking for mountainside positions i'd keep an eye on their websites from around October. But depending on what you want to do you will find year round positions at the ski resorts, as the hotels are usually always needing some positions filled (bars/restaurants or whatever). Summer is actually busier than winter.

I worked for what was CP Hotels at the time, now Fairmont. The accommodation was provided and everything (meals etc) heavily discounted. You have to share with who they put you in with initially, but its a great way to meet people.

From my experience, any of the big skihills and associated villages are pretty good places to be - summer or winter really.