Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We're thinking of doing it!!!

Wikiposts

We're thinking of doing it!!!

Old Sep 8th 2007, 5:15 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We're thinking of doing it!!!

Originally Posted by Animal Crackers
Hi Thanks for the great advise, it is very much appreciated!! we have looked at the skills required section and our skills are in demand for NS Can I ask how long you have been over there? How do you find it? Is there any chance of any pics (no rude ones!!) We were hoping to complete the forms ourselves to save some pennies!!I qualify next year and my husband in 2 so we're trying to get our heads round what we need to do and as to where we'd like to be. I have family in Edmonton but NS looks great to us. Any advise is very welcome. Regards Gaynor x
Hi We moved to NB nearly two years ago now and I can tell you that it is not that difficult to complete the forms yourself. Just be careful and ensure you have all the bits of paper they are asking for such as police checks, references etc. I would have thought any province will snap you up being a Nurse I know there are shortages here in NB.

Good luck and when you arrive be sure to look out for the local Newcomers club. They saved our sanity and helped us find others similar to us and we have built a new network of friends who are more like an extended family after nearly two years.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 5:19 am
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by boxerdog03
Hi

Welcome to the forum, I don't need to say you'll soon be mad as your doing you nurse training so you must be already.

I'm a psych nurse, but if I can help I will

Sharon
Hi Sharon

When are you hoping to go? We're not too far from yourselves in Wigan! Whish part of Canada are you hoping to move to? Have you looked into the exams that we have to take before we can practice there? I qualify next year thank god!! and my husband will have his degree in 2 years. So we're looking at different areas but NS seems the place for us. It's just knowing where to start!!
Old Sep 8th 2007, 5:50 am
Forum Regular

Animal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to allAnimal Crackers is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Hi We moved to NB nearly two years ago now and I can tell you that it is not that difficult to complete the forms yourself. Just be careful and ensure you have all the bits of paper they are asking for such as police checks, references etc. I would have thought any province will snap you up being a Nurse I know there are shortages here in NB.

Good luck and when you arrive be sure to look out for the local Newcomers club. They saved our sanity and helped us find others similar to us and we have built a new network of friends who are more like an extended family after nearly two years.
Well that was quick, can I ask if you have ever had any regrets? What made you want to move? Have you got children and if so how dod they take to their new life? What careers do you have? Sorry for all the questions :
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:14 am
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Well that was quick, can I ask if you have ever had any regrets? What made you want to move? Have you got children and if so how dod they take to their new life? What careers do you have? Sorry for all the questions :
I have no regrets, I am not so sure about the girls. They miss the shopping and friends and just the selection of things that come with living somewhere with alot of people. No doubt if we moved to a major city it wouldnt be as isolating as a rural city.

We are
David (49)
Julie (40 somthing)
Kathryn (20)
Gemma (17)

We arrived Nov 5th 2005.

I have started a blog by back loading my journal into the electronic format. I have been keeping a diary since we arrived. blog

I am a the glass is half full type of person so I dont tend to dwell on the downside to much. I just see opportunities everywhere! If they dont have something then we could start a business to introduce it! NB is probably about 20 years behind the UK in retail experienc (less so NS) there are 750,000 people in a province that is 3/4 the size of England (with a population of about 50 million). So there is lots of space and more trees than you can shake a stick at :~)

Feel free to send me an email to ask specific questions about why we chose NB over NS Look at the weather for both :~)
Old Sep 9th 2007, 10:37 am
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Sharon

When are you hoping to go? We're not too far from yourselves in Wigan! Whish part of Canada are you hoping to move to? Have you looked into the exams that we have to take before we can practice there? I qualify next year thank god!! and my husband will have his degree in 2 years. So we're looking at different areas but NS seems the place for us. It's just knowing where to start!!
Hi, I'm off to Calgary area of Alberta. We're going just as soon as my WP comes through (prob Jan), at moment heads in a spin trying to sort out house and plan our reccee (we go on Friday for 2 weeks).

After 13 years in the NHS, 8 of them qualified, I've had enough. I'm looking forward to to my fresh start in a more forward thinking health system.

Enjoy not knowing where to start, soon you'll be totally stressed not knowing which of the hundreds of things you need to do should be done next. I'd start by having a visit (after you've done the forms of course).

Sharon