Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Well, time has passed... Bank accounts for newbies?

Well, time has passed... Bank accounts for newbies?

Old May 5th 2020, 11:40 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Red face Well, time has passed... Bank accounts for newbies?

Some of you may remember me, hopefully the new blood has no idea who I am!

Anyway much time has passed since I came to Canada, met a Canadian, had kids, left Canada and so on, but much as I thought I had escaped, it turns out my first born child has had enough of Trumps wonderland and has won a place at The Royal Military College in Kingston.so she for one will be heading back to Canadas soft warm bosom in the near future.

With my usual level of insight we shut the kids Cdn bank accounts down when we left, so, assuming they still do intake in July, and assuming we can get a flight, and assuming we find a solution to the 14 day quarantine for returning citizens, shes going to need a bank account. Does anyone have recent experience/ advice for setting that up BEFORE arriving in Canada? I've a feeling we might need to use a friends address at first as she will be straight into basic training in St Jean before heading to Kingston, and that she will then have to make an appearance at a bank office in Canada with her ID to actually open the account? Does this sound about right?

I'd love to drive her up there myself and help sort stuff, but my visa situation is overly complicated at the moment so no leaving the US for me for fear I dont get back in again... I'll explain another time. Lets just say the NAFTA TN visa is not all its cracked up to me.

Thanks in advance. No, I haven't read the wiki
Old May 5th 2020, 11:57 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Well, time has passed... Bank accounts for newbies?

Originally Posted by iaink
Iain ! I've missed your clear dulcet tones. Please stick around a bit.
I retired from the usual malarky here but still post a bit.
M
Old May 5th 2020, 11:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Anyway much time has passed since I came to Canada, met a Canadian, had kids, left Canada and so on, but much as I thought I had escaped, it turns out my first born child has had enough of Trumps wonderland and has won a place at The Royal Military College in Kingston.so she for one will be heading back to Canadas soft warm bosom in the near future.

With my usual level of insight we shut the kids Cdn bank accounts down when we left, so, assuming they still do intake in July, and assuming we can get a flight, and assuming we find a solution to the 14 day quarantine for returning citizens, shes going to need a bank account. Does anyone have recent experience/ advice for setting that up BEFORE arriving in Canada? I've a feeling we might need to use a friends address at first as she will be straight into basic training in St Jean before heading to Kingston, and that she will then have to make an appearance at a bank office in Canada with her ID to actually open the account? Does this sound about right?

I'd love to drive her up there myself and help sort stuff, but my visa situation is overly complicated at the moment so no leaving the US for me for fear I dont get back in again... I'll explain another time. Lets just say the NAFTA TN visa is not all its cracked up to me.

Hello stranger. I was able to open an account before I arrived in Canada on the basis that I was not able to make any withdrawals before I arrived and presented the required ID. I was able to make deposits prior to arrival with no issues.

I know that people have been able to do what I did as recently as 2 weeks ago.

Best of luck.
Old May 6th 2020, 12:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

hello stranger

My daughter used her US bank account/US credit card, until she opened a new account. I donā€™t think you need a Canadian address, I am pretty sure she used our US address to open an account. The only Canadian address was UofTā€™s halls of res., she wouldnā€™t have been able to use that. We had to put a deposit it down on a Can. cell phone.

Check if she needs permission from USCIS to be in Canada for a big part of the year. Sorry I canā€™t remember exactly what the document is called. My daughter (GC holder) went back and forth for a couple of years, before she was told the next time she wouldnā€™t be allowed back into the US. Fortunately the next time was for her US Citizenship interview/ceremony.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; May 6th 2020 at 1:35 am.
Old May 6th 2020, 1:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I know nothing about bank accounts but hello anyway.
Old May 6th 2020, 1:32 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I know nothing about bank accounts but hello anyway.
Ditto
Old May 6th 2020, 2:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome back and if in a betting mood a fiver says she gets a bank account before Liverpool win their 1st EPL trophy.
Old May 6th 2020, 4:30 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Good to see you back - hope you will stick around

When in doubt, check the Wiki - we have a section on banking in Canada with links to opening an account online for most of the banks... basically you open it from where ever then validate it when you arrive.. in the meantime you get your account details and can transfer money if needed.
Newcomer accounts usually give free banking for 6 months together with other benefits.
https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Banking-Canada

Old May 6th 2020, 4:34 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Siouxie
When in doubt, check the Wiki

Old May 6th 2020, 6:34 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Another welcome back here. Maybe one day we'll have an old-timers meet up at the Yard.
Old May 6th 2020, 4:27 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Another welcome back here. Maybe one day we'll have an old-timers meet up at the Yard.
Physical meet ups are so early March 2020's. The kids (& the old timers) are drinking via Zoom these days!
Old May 6th 2020, 5:29 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

While I'd love to see some of the newly rejoined us posters, if i have to sit through one more zoom meeting .......
Old May 6th 2020, 10:15 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Hello - nice to see you