Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

This weeks silly question/s

This weeks silly question/s

Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:05 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: This weeks silly question/s

Originally Posted by JTM73
Glad this came up ... it didn't even occur to me that a trip to Seattle from Van may be a problem; something I was planning on doing. Anyone else have this experience?
No, and I can't understand why anybody would have a problem making the crossing. It's a perfectly normal thing to want to do - every land border crossing is full of lines of cars full of people doing exactly this, every day of the year.

Sure, the border guards will ask you the purpose of your visit - the same as any country's border guards would ask a non-resident visitor. Sure, if you're travelling on a UK passport you'll have to park up, go into the office, fill out the green I94W visa waiver form. Sure, you'll have to pay your six bucks each or whatever it is (this is even less of a hassle if you can put your hands on enough US cash to cover the fee), but there's nothing complicated or worrying about it.

Be prepared for a line up, be prepared to explain why you're visiting the US and how long you're staying, be prepared for an additional delay in the office as processing the visa waivers can take a while. Try and avoid making the crossing early on a Saturday morning - I'd guess that late morning on a weekday is the best time to go across to minimise queues.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:15 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Oakvillian - i think I just got the stroppy guard that day - he really wasnt having any of it - trying to catch me out with questions of where I intended to stay etc. . when all we wanted to do was go into Buffallo look at the falls from the american side and then come back!

i think the fact that i smiled at him when I pulled up may have peed him off

coming back into Canada was a breeze tho

C'est La Vie
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:36 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
V sorry DB -

we decided to go across to States at Niagara so that the could could see Buffalo and could ay - oooh we went to America too.

Pulled up at customs/immigration thing on the bridge and the guard wasnt having any of it . . . loads of questions
weher are you going
hy
where are you stayig
how long for

more and moe -kept repeating them to see if I would change my answers

I kept saying we just want to go into Buffalo and see what it looks like and then go and see Niagara from your side then come back = 4 hours tops!

He took our passports andwe had to go to a little office and expalin it all again - luckily 2nd chap was more undertstanding - particularly when I said right forget it I dont want to come into the states now thans you very much!

PS what does gitmo'd mean?

ooh hang on -

doh - just realised that you meant - you dont get why the US guards are so stroppy either! !!

I suppose I've been across with visitors a hundred times, Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, dinner in Niagara on the Lake. Every visitor wants that. Never had any trouble with it, pre 911 you could even do it with no id at all.

Still, "arvo"? What's an arvo? It sounds like an acronym for something terroristic.

Gitmo is the military name for Guantanamo Bay.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:44 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ha - Gitmo

Arvo - as in this arvo this afternoon - must be the south London in me! or Sarf Laaandahn!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Ah ha - Gitmo

Arvo - as in this arvo this afternoon - must be the south London in me! or Sarf Laaandahn!
It's a strange and dangerous land south of the river. There's not even the tube.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 1:48 pm
half a century

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's a strange and dangerous land south of the river. There's not even the tube.
Dont believe them, - it comes all the way to Wimbledon and Morden!!! sometimes I even use it!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:05 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Oakvillian - i think I just got the stroppy guard that day - he really wasnt having any of it - trying to catch me out with questions of where I intended to stay etc. . when all we wanted to do was go into Buffallo look at the falls from the american side and then come back!

i think the fact that i smiled at him when I pulled up may have peed him off

coming back into Canada was a breeze tho

C'est La Vie
's OK - I wasn't having a go at you, merely trying not to put others off from going over the border when they're here for a visit!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:20 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I suppose I've been across with visitors a hundred times, Maid of the Mist, Cave of the Winds, dinner in Niagara on the Lake. Every visitor wants that. Never had any trouble with it, pre 911 you could even do it with no id at all.

Still, "arvo"? What's an arvo? It sounds like an acronym for something terroristic.

Gitmo is the military name for Guantanamo Bay.
Niagara on the Lake? Has the border been moved?
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:28 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Niagara on the Lake? Has the border been moved?
Only the Cave of the Winds is in the US.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 2:55 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Only the Cave of the Winds is in the US.
That's what I thought.
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 7:57 pm
half a century

Niagara on the lake - v pretty and twee - but I do like the Christmas shop!
Old Sep 2nd 2008, 8:12 pm
Just Joined

BandAid is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: This weeks silly question/s

Good luck on your reccy.

We went on ours to Alberta, back in May.

Can you do me a favour? - Have a look at the cost of housing (to buy)?

Be warned - a reccy trip will make you fall in love with Canada and you'll be even more desperate to get out there to live!

We've given ourselves 2 years to go out there and we can't wait - a bad case of itchy feet!!

JD and Ali.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 4:12 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Tina-Carl
Hi all. We are travelling to Toronto on the first part of our two week reccy trip, arriving on the 20 Sept 08. I have one silly question, to satisfy Tina's 'sweet toothed addiction', that may lead to another silly question.
Is it possible to buy twinkie bars in Toronto?
If so at what stores.
If twinkie bars are not available in Toronto, my second silly question is how difficult is it to travel between Canada and the US?
Bearing in mind we are 'tourists' in both countries.
Our higher car includes travel into the US and we will be carrying our passports.
Do you know who Bob Rae is? If so, stay the hell out of Canada.
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 4:18 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Getting back to the original question - Twinkie bars are on sale at our local supermarket and Wal-Mart, mind you, I live in BC. But I imagine it would be even easier to find them in TO.

Have fun on your holidays.

Clare
Old Sep 3rd 2008, 7:46 am
Just Joined

Tina-Carl has a spectacular aura aboutTina-Carl has a spectacular aura aboutTina-Carl has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Getting back to the original question - Twinkie bars are on sale at our local supermarket and Wal-Mart, mind you, I live in BC. But I imagine it would be even easier to find them in TO.

Have fun on your holidays.

Clare
Thanks for all the advice. Seems the US imigration guards are much the same as the Floridor and Californian ones we have meet.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.