Web developer/teacher job opportunities

Web developer/teacher job opportunities

Old Aug 5th 2020, 10:28 am
Just Joined

freyasmum is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Web developer/teacher job opportunities

Hi-
brief summary of our situ
Husband and I are 29 with a 1 year old from UK. Im a teacher and hes a web developer. We are keen to relocate to Canada and arent too sure of where specifically but have friends in BC.
what is the general demand for web developers in Canada and are teachers required to hold canadian certification to teach there?

Thanks
Old Aug 5th 2020, 10:50 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Web developer/teacher job opportunities

Originally Posted by freyasmum
Hi-
brief summary of our situ
Husband and I are 29 with a 1 year old from UK. Im a teacher and hes a web developer. We are keen to relocate to Canada and arent too sure of where specifically but have friends in BC.
what is the general demand for web developers in Canada and are teachers required to hold canadian certification to teach there?

Thanks
Hi and welcome to BE.

As you're young enough, you could look at an IEC visa, which would give you 2 year open work permits to try life in Canada out. However, have you read the Wiki article on teaching? Unfortunately it's not such a great profession to try and move to Canada with, yes you'll need certification but unfortunately jobs are hard to come by. What kind of teacher are you?

https://britishexpats.com/wiki/Teaching_in_Canada
Old Aug 5th 2020, 11:37 am
Just Joined

freyasmum is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya
thanks for your reply. I did think this would be the case. Im a primary/ elementary teacher and have taught for 8 years here now. I will be sure to check out the wiki more thoroughly ! Thanks

Last edited by freyasmum; Aug 5th 2020 at 11:43 am.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 5:31 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by freyasmum
Hiya
thanks for your reply. I did think this would be the case. Im a primary/ elementary teacher and have taught for 8 years here now. I will be sure to check out the wiki more thoroughly ! Thanks
You will need Provincial Certification to teach - and be prepared to have little work for the first few years.. (lots of threads on the subject of teaching) - as for 'web development' - what exactly does your partner do and what certification does he hold? You could check out the IT stream for BC - his NOC (2175) appears to be on the list for IT in demand professions, so if he can get a job offer /nomination - - that might be your route in..

https://www.welcomebc.ca/getmedia/2b...rkers.pdf.aspx
How does the BC PNP Tech Pilot support tech talent?The BC PNP provides a permanent immigration pathway for highly trained talent from across the globe to come to B.C. to live, work, and raise a family. The BC PNP Tech Pilot expedites applications from internationally trained workers and international students who have the critical skills, experience and qualifications needed by B.C.’s technology employers.To apply, you need a job offer in one of the 29 key technology occupations from an eligible B.C. employer.
https://www.welcomebc.ca/Immigrate-t...PNP-Tech-Pilotor

Last edited by Siouxie; Aug 5th 2020 at 5:36 pm.
Old Aug 5th 2020, 5:44 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Education jobs in BC
Old Aug 5th 2020, 8:59 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The Teaching in Canada Wiki is a few years old but still valid. Teaching requires provincial certification ie. if you are going to BC you'll need certification from the BC College of Teachers and different certification in each province. So where you are heading is important. There is no "Canadian" certification per se. Expect the certification process to be complex and long - a generalisation but its the Canadian way! Certification is one challenge, the next is getting a job, Teaching is a unionised profession. Seniority (length of time you've been in the Union, on the list etc) is all. Inevitably you will have to start with substitute (supply) teaching - which is an erratic income - and do that for a number of years before getting enough seniority to get a realistic chance at a permanent position. Some exceptions apply in hard to find skillsets and locations that people don't want to go to. (Think Northern Territories, Labrador etc).

As the Wiki says (if I recall), the problem in getting into teaching is essentially needing another income to support you while you go through the time required to get a permanent job.

This is my 2 cents based on being married to a Canadian teacher. She went and taught in the UK after graduating (which is how we met) and returned to Newfoundland after 6 years. It took her a further 6 years or so to get a permanent teacher position. And thats with two Canadian teaching degrees. The good news is that once you are a full time teacher, salaries are good - certainly better than the UK. It's getting to those heady heights that is the challenge!
Old Aug 10th 2020, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

scottabraham13 is an unknown quantity at this point

I've been living in St. John's, Newfoundland for 3 years.

My background is software/web development and I am a team lead at one of the startups in the city. The startup scene in St. John's is thriving! There are not enough software developers in the province to keep up with demand so it's a great place for people in the tech industry to be right now.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 12:40 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scottabraham13
I've been living in St. John's, Newfoundland for 3 years.

My background is software/web development and I am a team lead at one of the startups in the city. The startup scene in St. John's is thriving! There are not enough software developers in the province to keep up with demand so it's a great place for people in the tech industry to be right now.
I'm guessing you work for one of the companies in this infographic on the Nfld tech sector I shameless stole from twitter? .

I've seen some discussion following the pandemic about the increasing attraction of a place like Newfoundland to work if you can join the tech sector or work remotely. Good internet (in St John's at least), fresh air, space, low property prices, isolated from the rest of the country so low covid numbers etc. Makes up for the lousy weather (generally) and the additional expenses in living here compared to other places in Canada.

EDITED TO ADD: For the OP though, sadly the chances of getting into a teaching position anytime soon for a new immigrant are virtually zero, particularly in the St John's metro area. Unless of course the government does what the teaching union is calling for an dramatically increases the # of teachers to reduce class sizes in the Covid world. Even in that unlikely event I'd anticipate the additional positions to be fixed term contracts.

Last edited by Atlantic Xpat; Aug 11th 2020 at 12:47 pm.
Old Aug 11th 2020, 2:15 pm
Just Joined

scottabraham13 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I'm guessing you work for one of the companies in this infographic on the Nfld tech sector I shameless stole from twitter? .
Yes! The CEO of my company was the one who made the slide..