British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Web developer looking for job opportunities in Toronto/Calgary or Vancouver (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/web-developer-looking-job-opportunities-toronto-calgary-vancouver-546204/)

theycallmeuma Jul 1st 2008 9:16 am

Web developer looking for job opportunities in Toronto/Calgary or Vancouver

Hi Guys,

Just joined this forum yesterday, and recently went to the Expo. Most of the information at these events tends to be geared towards medical, construction, tradesmen...and I can't seem to get on the right path for information towards IT (specifically web development).

Waiting for 3-4 years for the skilled workers visa is an option, but like most I'd like to go through the PNP route.

If anyone has any tips on resources to look at, agencies to contact, or just general advice for someone looking for web related work in Canada, then I would be really grateful.

Cheers

christmasoompa Jul 1st 2008 10:53 am

Re: Web developer looking for job opportunities in Toronto/Calgary or Vancouver

Sorry, I know nothing about your industry but the best thing I can suggest is that you do a search of the forums as I know there have been lots of posts in the past about IT jobs, etc. Hopefully that should help.

Also, just so that you know, waiting times for SW visas are currently 5-8 years apparently, not 3-4. And that time is predicated to rise, or they may even stop accepting some applications, after some recent changes were introduced. See the thread below for more info...........

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521862

Best of luck. :)

theycallmeuma Jul 1st 2008 11:01 am

Originally Posted by christmasoompa (Post 6522168)
Sorry, I know nothing about your industry but the best thing I can suggest is that you do a search of the forums as I know there have been lots of posts in the past about IT jobs, etc. Hopefully that should help.

Also, just so that you know, waiting times for SW visas are currently 5-8 years apparently, not 3-4. And that time is predicated to rise, or they may even stop accepting some applications, after some recent changes were introduced. See the thread below for more info...........

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=521862

Best of luck. :)

Thanks!

I'll take a look on here. I'm just curious as to whether anyone has actually flown out to Canada to do job hunting and been successful in that...I'd be interested to see what experience people have had doing this, as getting offered a job prior to entry seems to be a struggle.

christmasoompa Jul 1st 2008 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by theycallmeuma (Post 6522196)
Thanks!

I'll take a look on here. I'm just curious as to whether anyone has actually flown out to Canada to do job hunting and been successful in that...I'd be interested to see what experience people have had doing this, as getting offered a job prior to entry seems to be a struggle.

It will depend on your job (and I have no idea about your industry or whether your job is in demand) but often people are successful in finding a job and then going over on a TWP.

The things to remember are that Canadians like face to face contact, so just emailing a resume is absolutely no use, you really need to plan a trip and set up some informal chats with people so they can see you in person. That's how the vast majority of people on here get offered their jobs. Also, to aim for an area where your job is needed i.e. look at the OUP lists to see which area you should be concentrating on and where you should go for a job hunting trip.

Have a really good read of the Wiki section on job hunting which should help you immensely, and then you should understand the hiring culture within Canada.

http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...Hunting-Canada

Hope that helps. :)

Solarfish Jul 1st 2008 3:41 pm

Quite honestly I think there will be no chance of PNP route for web development. There are plenty of Canadians who can do web development and the only way you would get PNP is if a job can not be filled locally. I would also be very wary of coming in via the skilled worker route and expecting to find web development employment, the market is shrinking in the west along with most of IT. If something can be done remotely from India or other outsourcing centres then it will and web development is one of the easiest things to outsource. Sorry if this sounds depressing, but please be realistic about this sector.

theycallmeuma Jul 1st 2008 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Solarfish (Post 6523137)
Quite honestly I think there will be no chance of PNP route for web development. There are plenty of Canadians who can do web development and the only way you would get PNP is if a job can not be filled locally. I would also be very wary of coming in via the skilled worker route and expecting to find web development employment, the market is shrinking in the west along with most of IT. If something can be done remotely from India or other outsourcing centres then it will and web development is one of the easiest things to outsource. Sorry if this sounds depressing, but please be realistic about this sector.

Having attended the expo on Sunday, Vancouver appeared to be the city calling for these jobs. Although like you say, I'm not sure what the overall demand is for this. Although new media seems to be listed under PNP for BC:

http://www.ecdev.gov.bc.ca/ProgramsA...O/index_so.htm

I'll have to do thorough investigation. I recently met a guy who went through Bunac to work in Toronto for a year in my field of work. Wondering if anyone has done something similar?

londonhatter Jul 2nd 2008 10:41 am

Hi there

Well, I am not in Vancouver yet but I am keeping an eye on the CRM industry and jobs there (Planning to go Late 2009). However whilst I am finding little in the way of CRM I see lots of jobs advertised for Web developers.

Have a look at www.Monster.ca

I was looking in the Vancouver area so I know nothing about the other area's you have mentioned.

Hope this helps

richardb Jul 2nd 2008 2:30 pm

Edmonton is certainly crying out for web developers - in particular .Net developers. Maybe you should add Edmonton to your list of possible locations?

theycallmeuma Jul 2nd 2008 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by richardb (Post 6526782)
Edmonton is certainly crying out for web developers - in particular .Net developers. Maybe you should add Edmonton to your list of possible locations?

Really? I haven't read that anywhere...do you have a resource anywhere suggesting that...Seeming as Edmonton is in Alberta, I'd benefit from the single tax payment on expenses!!!

richardb Jul 2nd 2008 3:42 pm

The company I'm working for now easily has enough work for about 10 more developers if we could only get them and we are a growing consultancy in Edmonton. Anecdotally I hear tales of people in IT starting a new job and moving to a better position within a week, also people just moving from company to company as they wish simple because the work is there right now. Reminds me of Dublin around 1999,2000 (without the crash of course!)

I found the workopolis/monsters etc not very helpful, but that is my personal experience. I looked up an Edmonton list of businesses - chamber of commerce or some such and I was able to find a good position within 2 weeks of sending out my resume to IT companies in Edmonton, and I even turned down one offer.

The IT market is certainly very strong here at the moment and there is a shortage of developers of all levels.

theycallmeuma Jul 17th 2008 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by richardb (Post 6527004)
I found the workopolis/monsters etc not very helpful, but that is my personal experience. I looked up an Edmonton list of businesses - chamber of commerce or some such and I was able to find a good position within 2 weeks of sending out my resume to IT companies in Edmonton, and I even turned down one offer.

The IT market is certainly very strong here at the moment and there is a shortage of developers of all levels.

Did you do all this application while still at home? I'm planning on doing a recce trip out to Canada in a few months and trying to strategise my best approach for job hunting.

JonboyE Jul 17th 2008 9:59 pm

Originally Posted by londonhatter (Post 6526099)
Well, I am not in Vancouver yet but I am keeping an eye on the CRM industry and jobs there (Planning to go Late 2009). However whilst I am finding little in the way of CRM I see lots of jobs advertised for Web developers.

I am sure you are aware that Maximizer is the big CRM firm in Vancouver.

londonhatter Jul 18th 2008 7:23 am

I guess thats true about Maximiser Jonboy since Pivotal sold out to the chinese. They still have two floors of their building but most of it has moved to Atlanta

londonhatter Jul 18th 2008 7:25 am

Also on a crm note. Maximiser is completely rubbish and I wouldn't go near it if I needed a job so much I was about to starve. Ho hum

richardb Jul 18th 2008 2:42 pm

Originally Posted by theycallmeuma (Post 6582788)
Did you do all this application while still at home? I'm planning on doing a recce trip out to Canada in a few months and trying to strategise my best approach for job hunting.

I used workopolis/monster while at home with no success on any job applications. I think it is fair to say that there are a lot of positions available here not on the recruitment websites.