Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are we living in fantasy land?

Are we living in fantasy land?

Old May 25th 2008, 9:10 am
Julie

HopefullyWanted is a jewel in the roughHopefullyWanted is a jewel in the roughHopefullyWanted is a jewel in the roughHopefullyWanted is a jewel in the roughHopefullyWanted is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Are we living in fantasy land?

Thank you all for your thoughts, especially your points Judy -depressing as some of them were (ie someone dying, etc!) but obviously these things need to be said and thought about. I have often thought about leaving my parents and if anything happened to them, etc, as they are now in their 60s, but I try to think that I cannot hang around until they die before I change my life for the better, as selfish and crude as that makes me sound.

My husband's job is not an occupation in either O, A or B! I was hoping to work myself, mine is in category B, but only part time because of the children and obviously we would need childcare costs, etc. The more I think about it them more I worry it would be a silly decision. I think we shall just have to see how it goes and take each decision at a time. Luckily my husband is very practical and doesn't always go with my "lets just do it" attitude, bringing me down to earth with the boring facts of "what will we eat dear?".

Thanks again.
Old May 25th 2008, 9:21 am
BE Enthusiast

the undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nicethe undutchables is just really nice

If moving to Canada is something you really want to do, then you will find a way. Having no debt is a good start, it means you can concentrate on getting money behind you. Obviously your children are the main concern, if you don't get this job there will be others.

I would suggest do your homework on everything, where you want to go, jobs, housing, anything to do with Canada, and who knows what will turn up. When you focus on your goal 100%, the impossible can happen. Even if it takes another year or so, it isn't long, really.

My wife and I looked into moving to Canada for the first time 10 yrs ago. We looked again more seriously 18 mths ago, but even then it wasn't the right time, and moved to Holland instead. But it was still in the back of our minds.
So in February this year, we joined this site, and decided to go for it. I landed a job in March, we are currently just waiting for our TWP's and plan to move to Calgary in about 6 weeks time. Once we seriously went for it, it all happened in less than 4 months.

I hope this will help inspire you and you realise your goal. I believe the biggest regrets in life aren't the things we do, but the things we don't do.

Good luck!
Old May 25th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Arty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond reputeArty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
There have been people who have posted on this forum, who have been in a desperate situation in Canada, who have wanted to return to the UK, and who have been unable to afford to do so.

When people have young children, when they have no equity, when they have only just got themselves out of debt, and when they are going to Canada on an income that is not exactly high, I personally think it is reckless to tell them to throw caution to the winds, follow their dream, go to Canada, and somehow it will all work out.

If worst comes to worst, they can always change their minds and return to the UK. Yeah, right. I've seen things going pearshaped for some forum members who've moved to Canada. They've ended up moving in with their parents back in the UK, sometimes having to split their children amongst other households in their extended families, and working two jobs to get themselves back on their feet after the expenses they incurred during their expat adventure.

But, when that happens, people don't feel very comfortable sticking around on the Canada forum and sharing their failures and disappointments for very long, because this is the forum where, on quite a few occasions that I've witnessed, you aren't very popular if you aren't wearing your rose coloured specs and slugging back the Blue Kool Aid.

In most Canadian cities, couples with children want to live in the suburbs, because that's where there are more facilities for families. If you live in the suburbs, you'll almost certainly need at least one car. Outside of their downtown cores, Canadian cities typically do not have brilliant transit systems.

In most Canadian provinces, medicare does not cover prescription drugs and dental treatment. But many employers do provide supplementary medical and dental insurance as a benefit, so this would be a good thing to check on when you're considering a job.

It costs money to keep children meaningfully occupied in Canada. Parent and tot playgroups, parent and tot swimming lessons, nursery schools ... all these things cost money. Later, when children are attending school, the schools don't provide sports activities. Parents have to pay to register their children in after-school sports activities and have to buy any equipment that may be necessary (although the cost of this can be reduced by buying secondhand equipment).

What happens if a parent back in the UK gets very sick or dies? Would you want to fly back to visit a gravely ill parent or attend the funeral of a parent who had passed away? These are expenses that members of this forum have incurred just in the last year. Would you be able to afford this "luxury"?

What happens if you or your spouse gets very ill or dies in Canada? Tragically, a father and son who were participants of this forum have lost their wife/mother in Canada in just the last few weeks. Do you have back up plans and contingency funds to contend with such an eventuality?

I strongly recommend that, at a minimum, a person who is contemplating emigrating from the UK to Canada, read both the Canada and Moving Back To The UK forums so that they can find out about as many different people's experiences as possible.
x
.Hi all,
Well said Judy, yet again sound advice no rose tinted glasses there.

Arty & Co
Old May 25th 2008, 1:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

SarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond reputeSarahBC has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Are we living in fantasy land?

Hi there,

Judy's advice is exactly what I wanted to say!

I have been in Canada 3 years (on a Temporary Work Permit). We have no children, and continue to live on just my salary. My starting wage in Canada was a little bit more than the job than you mentioned. My partner doesn't work - he's been renovating our current house for 2 1/2 years.

I think it would be tough to survive with children on the salary you described. Where we found the biggest costs were food (supermarkets are more expensive), and car insurance.

We did the bare-bones type of emigration (not much stuff shipped) and bought an old car when we arrived. We had 17,000 CAN to our name, and held onto it for dear life. We knew it was our 10% house deposit. It was more important for us to buy a house than anything, as we'd been out of the UK housing market for years. We moved to a part of BC that had very affordable housing then.

It's been tough. There's been times (of up to a few weeks) of no car when we couldn't fix it. But luckily we moved to a community where we got picked up when we were walking home, the majority of the time. But, after 3 years, it seems like our choices are now making sense.

The best thing you've done is clear your debt. We have been repaying our UK debt since we arrived and am now almost clear. I'm sure we would have felt better off financially without that burden, but wouldn't have felt wealthy by a long shot.

Hope this helps,

Sarah
Old May 25th 2008, 4:03 pm

tinytears is an unknown quantity at this point

My parents wanted to move out to Canada when we were young. Yet there was always something that got in the way - first one of their parents died, then another, then they couldn't afford it, then they could afford it but my mums mum got to old to leave, now my dads mum is too old to leave.

They still have plans though to go though when the last of my grandma's has "gone" but that could be several years away.

They really want us to go, my brother is already there, my other brother and sister have plans to go and are also in the process just as we are. We hope our parents will be able to join us before too long.

I would rather die having done something but it not worked out, than regret all my life that I didn't try to do it. I really hope my parents don't die regretting ....

I know that may not be practical advice as such but I really wish my parents would have gone all those years ago, there is always a reason not to go (and believe me I'm in the middle of a huge wobble myself right now).
Old May 25th 2008, 5:43 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

I think its a big mistake for people to emigrate with the idea that its forever, and that failure is not an option. Best to go with an open mind, just see how things pan out, think about every scenario so you have a plan should the worst happen.

We have done 3 yrs here and now are planning to go home. We are prime examples that you just can't account for 'feelings'. Everything else has gone great for us here, thank goodness, but we just can't see ourselves here long term. The feelings of many things just aren't right, even though on paper everything looks rosy !

I'm also a firm believer that it depends on what you left behind, as to how you view your new life. If you are running away from a hard slog of a life in a grim part of Britiain, then maybe the life you find yourselves in here would seem streets ahead. For us thats not the case. We came from pretty Cheshire, a comfortable existance, and things have been on a par here. No better, no worse, just different.
Old May 26th 2008, 3:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Paradisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really niceParadisefound is just really nice

I am and have loved every minute of the 3 years.
Old May 26th 2008, 12:33 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

The income level you describe needn't be a problem. It depends where (and how) you'll be living.

But you do need something to get you started and something to fall back on.

My salary back in Bristol was less than £18k. I suppose that would have been around £13k to £14k after tax/NI. I had £400 a month in mortgage payments and what was left - around £8k to £9k - went on me only as I lived alone. That was in 2004.

Here I have a wife and two teenage stepkids. Our total income now (including 'child benefit') is less than $22k...roughly £11k. It's not high enough for tax. There's no mortgage as I bought the family home from money from my Bristol house sale. So £8k or £9k for just me, food, clothing, local taxes, insurances etc and now £11k for a family of four, food, clothing, local taxes, insurances etc.

But....and it's a big BUT, we have plenty to fall back on. Part of the income comes from rent from a duplex I also bought. So there's over $100k available as a capital sum if I sold it.

I was only able to do this because property is much cheaper, especially in New Brunswick and the UK house money goes much further. I bought a houseload of furnishings too, of course.

The family home is very nice, but we could also have a good family home for quite a bit less.

So we could 'downsize' and raise an additional $30k capital and still keep the duplex.

And although I took early retirement, I could still take part time work.
So we have good options open should the need arise. That makes a big difference.

I should add that it was just me who moved from the UK. The rest of the family are Canadian and we all moved here from Montreal. What we've done here could not have been done there....or almost anywhere else.

Last edited by BristolUK; May 26th 2008 at 12:40 pm.
Old May 26th 2008, 3:18 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

First off, congratulations to the OP for clearing her debt. It's a hell of an achievement in itself and very empowering. If you can do that, you can do a lot with your life.

Having cleared the debt, the next most important thing is to save a pot of cash to finance a move to Canada. Someone earlier mentioned UKP25,000 to leave the UK and set up in Canada. That is not an unrealistic sum. I am sure it can be done a bit cheaper, but it is a good target to save towards. A new immigrant does not have access to much credit in the first few months so they need something in the bank.

So much depends on where the OP intends to live. $36,000 is not a livable salary in a big city like Vancouver. It's about $2,600 a month after tax. Child tax benefit of $344 a month will not be available for 18 months as a new arrival. It could be done, but unless they are lucky enough to land a place with a housing co-op it is living on the poverty line.
Old May 26th 2008, 7:49 pm
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by HopefullyWanted
Thank you all for your thoughts, especially your points Judy -depressing as some of them were (ie someone dying, etc!) but obviously these things need to be said and thought about. I have often thought about leaving my parents and if anything happened to them, etc, as they are now in their 60s, but I try to think that I cannot hang around until they die before I change my life for the better, as selfish and crude as that makes me sound.

My husband's job is not an occupation in either O, A or B! I was hoping to work myself, mine is in category B, but only part time because of the children and obviously we would need childcare costs, etc. The more I think about it them more I worry it would be a silly decision. I think we shall just have to see how it goes and take each decision at a time. Luckily my husband is very practical and doesn't always go with my "lets just do it" attitude, bringing me down to earth with the boring facts of "what will we eat dear?".

Thanks again.
if money is tight....then don't do it....canada is fine,but not that good......
Old May 26th 2008, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Howard is right. I'm amazed when people refer to moving to Canada as their 'dream'. I can't possibly imagine what dreams are fulfilled by being in urban Canada. Unless you want to go and live in the wilderness with bears or something, I can't think of a single thing to do living here that I couldn't do if I lived anywhere else - but that's my personal view.

HopefullyWanted, you made a comment about changing your life for the better, but I can't see how you will do that unless you can earn more money in Canada. I recently read a study that said the cost of living in Ottawa was 6% cheaper than Glasgow. I think this is about right. 6% is nice but it won't change your life. GBP18k a year will feel like an equivalent 20kGPB best case.

I would urge you to take Judy's advice. In fact I think every 'Canadian dreaming' future expat should read that. I especially like Judy's point about the organised activities for kids. I spend about >3k CDN a year an on Ice skating, soccer and dance etc for my two pre-schoolers, and we don't go 'mad' with activities by any means. Don't forget they will be part time at school until 1st grade and that's aged 6 rising 7 so you will be under pressure to enroll your kids on all that stuff.

I'm a veteran of 22 moves so I have some experience. My advice is think hard, plan well, be realistic about what to expect. Only your geography will change, not your life.
Old May 26th 2008, 9:01 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Totally agree with everything Judy and R2D2 have said you can reccie till your blue in the face and it still wont be even close to living here on Canadian wage ...........

We are soon to be thumbing it back to the UK ourselves, and with our pocket very empty...................Not because we dont like it... we had our own dream to chase, and was doing very well in the Uk, by the time we left .

But after losing lots of "pennies" getting here And not being able to earn enough money to live in the place we sooooooo wanted to live in. My OH was on a relatively good wage here, but it was nearly half of what we were earning in the Uk.

Best advise i can give you is keep what you have in the UK and come over here and rent and try it out............if it doesn't work out, you haven't lost anything, if it does then great you still have a house to sell

I wish to hell i'd done that.....instead of stressing out over selling the house and losing a pot of money, which in the end is half the reason we carn't afford to stay Good Luck

Last edited by sans; May 26th 2008 at 10:19 pm.
Old May 27th 2008, 1:00 am
Banned

howardk will become famous soon enoughhowardk will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by ManBearPig
Howard is right. I'm amazed when people refer to moving to Canada as their 'dream'. I can't possibly imagine what dreams are fulfilled by being in urban Canada. Unless you want to go and live in the wilderness with bears or something, I can't think of a single thing to do living here that I couldn't do if I lived anywhere else - but that's my personal view.

HopefullyWanted, you made a comment about changing your life for the better, but I can't see how you will do that unless you can earn more money in Canada. I recently read a study that said the cost of living in Ottawa was 6% cheaper than Glasgow. I think this is about right. 6% is nice but it won't change your life. GBP18k a year will feel like an equivalent 20kGPB best case.

I would urge you to take Judy's advice. In fact I think every 'Canadian dreaming' future expat should read that. I especially like Judy's point about the organised activities for kids. I spend about >3k CDN a year an on Ice skating, soccer and dance etc for my two pre-schoolers, and we don't go 'mad' with activities by any means. Don't forget they will be part time at school until 1st grade and that's aged 6 rising 7 so you will be under pressure to enroll your kids on all that stuff.

I'm a veteran of 22 moves so I have some experience. My advice is think hard, plan well, be realistic about what to expect. Only your geography will change, not your life.
..........exactly........
Old May 27th 2008, 2:42 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sans
Hi Totally agree with everything Judy and R2D2 have said you can reccie till your blue in the face and it still wont be even close to living here on Canadian wage ...........

We are soon to be thumbing it back to the UK ourselves, and with our pocket very empty...................Not because we dont like it... we had our own dream to chase, and was doing very well in the Uk, by the time we left .

But after losing lots of "pennies" getting here And not being able to earn enough money to live in the place we sooooooo wanted to live in. My OH was on a relatively good wage here, but it was nearly half of what we were earning in the Uk.

Best advise i can give you is keep what you have in the UK and come over here and rent and try it out............if it doesn't work out, you haven't lost anything, if it does then great you still have a house to sell

I wish to hell i'd done that.....instead of stressing out over selling the house and losing a pot of money, which in the end is half the reason we carn't afford to stay Good Luck
Sans, I didn't know you were upping sticks and heading back too.

So sorry to hear the Island life didn't fulfill all your dreams. Best of luck with the move back.
Old May 27th 2008, 3:15 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
Sans, I didn't know you were upping sticks and heading back too.

So sorry to hear the Island life didn't fulfill all your dreams. Best of luck with the move back.
Thankyou The Island is stunning and that i will miss.......but that is all i will miss. Its not enough to make the struggle worth while, not for us anyway.
Carn't wait to fly over that old patch work quilt again..........

You to have a good trip back, cheshire i read " Very nice"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.