Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

WE have landed and now finding a car.

Wikiposts

WE have landed and now finding a car.

Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:43 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WE have landed and now finding a car.

Originally Posted by iaink
The dealer here has been nothing short of awsome. The service manager there just checked out the 07 I'm looking to buy elsewhere for free, and even helped to track down the service records held elsewhere. In the past they bent over backwards to help, including doing some expensive engine work under waranty, even though the car was 10k past the cut off point.

As my 97 has aged there was no point paying dealer rates for service and repair, but regardless of that they have been great in tracking down parts as necessary and advising other (cheaper) mechanics in diagnosing problems and the like.

That kind of thing really promotes customer loyalty to the brand

My 97 still runs well, although the body is rusting, however the gas tank on the old warhorse has now split, and repairing it requires a blank cheque as the AWD means the rear diff has to come off (15 years of rust and siezed bolts with it) to get at it, and no one wants to guess how much hassle that will be
from what i have read its this brand loyalty from your experience that keeps the ratings high. i wonder though if they are artificially high. what i mean by this is that the vehicles have as many problems as any other car, its just that they are dealt with quickly and well so people think highly of them. yes, no?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Make sure you get anything you buy checked out independently.
Is there a company (say like the AA in Canada) that offers this service?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:50 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
from what i have read its this brand loyalty from your experience that keeps the ratings high. i wonder though if they are artificially high. what i mean by this is that the vehicles have as many problems as any other car, its just that they are dealt with quickly and well so people think highly of them. yes, no?
Maybe. I certainly prefer the Subaru service people to the Honda ones, but Ive also spent more time with them. To be fair the honda is only two years old, and has had no issues, the subaru Ive had for ten or 11 years now, with few issues, and most of those in its later years.

A lot if it depends on the local dealer though. I will say subarus are relatively rare, so finding parts etc for an older one is not as easy or cheap as some other brands would be.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:54 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
If you dont know, or cant get a recomendation for a trustworthy local mechanic (cheapest option probably), the CAA offer used vehicle inspections to members, at a price.
https://www.caasco.com/automotive/auto-repair/inspections-pricing.jsp
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:55 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Yelkcub
The AMA does. Best money I have ever spent.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:56 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
how have you found the dealer. R I C H has had a nightmare recently apparently, though i'm not sure which model he had i think it was brand new as he managed to get it returned. hopefully he is reading and can enlighten us.
I had an '09 Forester XT, which proved to be a lemon, and got exchanged for a '10 Impreza WRX, which I'm very happy with. I had Subarus in the UK, and never previously had any problems.

The dealer (Zimmer Autosport) did their utmost to resolve things (and ended up out of pocket in the end), but it took a lot of energy to get Subaru North America to play ball. Their attitude and customer service was initially very dismissive.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 6:57 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The AMA does. Best money I have ever spent.
Is the AMA the CAA in Alberta?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:05 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I had an '09 Forester XT, which proved to be a lemon, and got exchanged for a '10 Impreza WRX, which I'm very happy with. I had Subarus in the UK, and never previously had any problems.

The dealer (Zimmer Autosport) did their utmost to resolve things (and ended up out of pocket in the end), but it took a lot of energy to get Subaru North America to play ball. Their attitude and customer service was initially very dismissive.
thats exactly what i would be looking at, what was the issue?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:08 am
rae
Settled.

Maybe. I certainly prefer the Subaru service people to the Honda ones, but Ive also spent more time with them. To be fair the honda is only two years old, and has had no issues, the subaru Ive had for ten or 11 years now, with few issues, and most of those in its later years.

A lot if it depends on the local dealer though. I will say subarus are relatively rare, so finding parts etc for an older one is not as easy or cheap as some other brands would be.
foresters and the basic imprezas seem quite common around here and of course you would expect to get issues with a 10yr old car so fair enough.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:10 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
thats exactly what i would be looking at, what was the issue?
There was a batch of faulty main bearings that a supplier produced during roughly a 6 mth production run, which caused engine failure generally before the 12,000km mark. It usually required full long block replacement and a new turbo. I had other general quality issues too, which seem to be less commonly reported. The naturally aspirated engines had no problems AFAIK.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:12 am
rae
Settled.

There was a batch of faulty main bearings that a supplier produced during roughly a 6 mth production run, which caused engine failure generally before the 12,000km mark. It usually required full long block replacement and a new turbo. I had other general quality issues too, which seem to be less commonly reported. The naturally aspirated engines had no problems AFAIK.
interesting thanks, i bet this is not common knowledge. so that would be sometime during early 2009? so the year end cars should be ok and the 2010's fine?
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:19 am
Pea Brain

Originally Posted by rae
interesting thanks, i bet this is not common knowledge. so that would be sometime during early 2009? so the year end cars should be ok and the 2010's fine?
It was pretty well documented on various Subaru discussion boards, once the problem became apparent. Anyone that's purchased a used '09 turbo-charged Forester or Impreza should check that the engine's either been replaced, or that the build date is late summer onwards to be sure of avoiding the issue.

There have been no reported issues that I know of since the problem was identified. Here's a useful site to determine the reliability of vehicles: http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliabi...code=816904149 Data is provided by owners and updated every month.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:34 am
rae
Settled.

It was pretty well documented on various Subaru discussion boards, once the problem became apparent. Anyone that's purchased a used '09 turbo-charged Forester or Impreza should check that the engine's either been replaced, or that the build date is late summer onwards to be sure of avoiding the issue.

There have been no reported issues that I know of since the problem was identified. Here's a useful site to determine the reliability of vehicles: [url]http://www.truedelta.com/car-reliability.php?sessi Data is provided by owners and updated every month.
nice one thanks, i hadn't looked that deeply into them, presuming a brand new one or slightly used would be fine, clearly not if its and early '09 with no work done on it as you point out.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:37 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

My boss has an older (06) Turbo Forrester. I never saw the point myself, its not much bigger than the cheaper and faster WRX that the mechanicals are largely based on, and its not as big or comfy as a Legacy? I wouldnt take it any further off road than a legacy, and its not as good on it, plus it costs more to buy

If money were no object I'd seriously consider a Legacy GT with the turbo engine, but sadly reality intervenes

Last edited by iaink; Feb 12th 2010 at 7:40 am.
Old Feb 12th 2010, 7:42 am
rae
Settled.

My boss has an older (06) Turbo Forrester. I never saw the point myself, its not much bigger than the cheaper and faster WRX that the mechanicals are largely based on, and its not as big or comfy as a Legacy? I wouldnt take it any further off road than a legacy, and its not as good on it, plus it costs more to buy

If money were no object I'd seriously consider a Legacy GT with the turbo engine, but sadly reality intervenes
its the hatchback that is the draw for me, and the fact that i think i would look a twat at 40yrs old in a wrx. with the forester i can have the performance, road clearance and practicality while being a little discreet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.