Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

We have arrived!!

We have arrived!!

Old May 19th 2009, 4:43 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: We have arrived!!

Well you made it!!
Old May 19th 2009, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

JAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant futureJAGUAR7 has a brilliant future

enjoy your new life.your flight would have been boring if you hadnt had the free entertainment.haha.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:34 pm
Forum Regular

DHammond is a jewel in the roughDHammond is a jewel in the roughDHammond is a jewel in the roughDHammond is a jewel in the roughDHammond is a jewel in the rough

Welcome to Canada,
So glad you made it, you have come at a great time of the year the weather is starting to really warm up!!
Deb
Old May 19th 2009, 1:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Hollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud ofHollis Family has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
We landed on Saturday at 2.20pm. Final goodbyes at the airport in the UK not good, makes you feel crap all the way over - well it did me. Bit of a drama on the plane, we had a woman who was partially sighted and very demanding of the air stewards, who I have to say was very good with her. She got very angry when they wouldnt serve her another drink after the captain had put the fasten seat belts sign on for landing. She the proceeds to cry, wail and moan, also she started to be sick!! next thing I hear (she was sat behind me) was the call bell going, the steward got out of his seat to her she had passed out!! they carried her to the front We were in row 1 so basically right in the door way in front of me, they were trying to bring her round, they got on the phone to the captain to tell him we needed an emergency clearance to land (we were currently circling in a Q) She started to come round, they asked her if she had taken any medication or had any medical back ground they should know about she said no. It transpires she had drunk 3 bottles of wine,4 gin's and a baileys plus taken 3 tranquilizers!!!. We landed and 4 paramedics came on board - cheered me up no end - love a man in a uniform.

We waited in line at passport control, told the very nice lady that we were applying for work permits, she told us exactly what we needed to do and where to go next, said welcome to Canada and off we went.
Got to immigration, waited in line once again told the lady what we wanted, got out "the paper mountain" and all she looked at was the LMO number, gave us both work permits told us to go pay the $300 and then come back, I stayed with her and we chatted about the UK & Canada hubby came back with receipt she had already put permits in our passport while we were chatting. She then welcomed us to Canada and wished us good luck, she said we were nice people and we would love Canada.

We then went to customs, once again very nice man this time, had a quick look at our papers said we didnt need any paper work from him as goods already shipped and we had a 2 year work permit, talked us through what we need to do once our good arrive and welcomed us to Canada.

So thats the story so far. POE visa app was very easy, I was really worried about it but no need.

Sorry its a long post but thought you would enjoy the airplane drama

Congratulations Jacqui & Brian and best of luck for your new life in Canada!

Michelle
Old May 19th 2009, 2:42 pm
passport photo

Hammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud ofHammy1976 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jacq & Brian
It transpires she had drunk 3 bottles of wine,4 gin's and a baileys plus taken 3 tranquilizers!!!.
Sounds like a one woman party, at least in her own head - until she passed out Glad she was ok in the end and enjoy your time in Canada, green with envy
Old May 19th 2009, 3:01 pm
Just Joined

latzart is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi:

New to website and have found it to be extreeeeeemly helpful! I thought I saw mention of $300? Would you explain why this was necessary? I am now waiting to get my letter of approval go to Canada...didn't know there were additional costs.

Thanks.
Old May 19th 2009, 3:17 pm
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Oh what a funny experience Good luck with your new life in Canada
Old May 19th 2009, 3:26 pm

Miss Clinique is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by latzart
Hi:

New to website and have found it to be extreeeeeemly helpful! I thought I saw mention of $300? Would you explain why this was necessary? I am now waiting to get my letter of approval go to Canada...didn't know there were additional costs.

Thanks.
The $300 is for the work permit = $150 each
Old May 19th 2009, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

See, that's the thing though. I thought that when you applied for the work permit in your home country that that was already covered. I payed for my application (150 CND) when I submitted it for processing. Do you see why I have some confusion? Is it that there is another payment required upon entering Canada. forgive me if this is a silly question?
Old May 19th 2009, 4:02 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for sharing your experience.

I wanted ask if there's a thread which speaks to what happens after arriving in Canada with a TWP (temporary work permit). That is, things to know and do after we've arrived.