Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

we had a snow fall in england ...how unusual

we had a snow fall in england ...how unusual

Old Nov 18th 2004, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

Location: SHEFFIELD uk can't wait to move in our house in Louisbourg N.S as soon as possible
louisbourg will become famous soon enough
Default we had a snow fall in england ...how unusual

hi everyone ,

just to let you know , we had snow tonight , so exciting , can't remember the last time ............

i am in sheffield .south yorkshire , and will be in nova scotia dec for the real thing ...yahooooooooooooo

but how come , everyone gets freaked out at the first sign of a snowflake in england , and you guys seem to take it in your stride , used to it i guess .

we were over c.b in march , loads of snow , couldn't wait for the snow plough to go past the window

hope to get more than 1/2 an inch and i will post a picture

sharon oxoxox <------------- i am learning canadian
Old Nov 18th 2004, 11:24 pm
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: we had a snow fall in england ...how unusual

Yes, I saw the report in the BBC website, advising the cambridge drivers to go easy as there was going to be 1cm of snow.

Tut - as overreactive as the Vancouverites then!! (Last year the city came to a standstill with about the same amount!)

Mind you - at least in UK you get gritters - here we avoid some roads in the frost - especially when the kids have been honing that ice down for sledding!!!

Clare
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:42 am
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

More snow than we have had in Toronto so far. It *almost* snowed last week but the main snowfall was only north of here.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 12:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Yes, I saw the report in the BBC website, advising the cambridge drivers to go easy as there was going to be 1cm of snow.

Tut - as overreactive as the Vancouverites then!! (Last year the city came to a standstill with about the same amount!)

Mind you - at least in UK you get gritters - here we avoid some roads in the frost - especially when the kids have been honing that ice down for sledding!!!

Clare
hehehe you should live in Victoria. The last snowfall was a few years ago and we literally had a city stopped in it's tracks. We had one snowplow for the entire city and we ended up shovelling out our own street to be able to get to the main roads. The older folks have no idea of how to drive at the best of times, but when there's snow....it seems that they desert their cars in desperation. Really funny to see.
Old Nov 19th 2004, 8:53 am
The Green Engine

SirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of lightSirTainly is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ClareBC

Clare
As a Cambridgeshire resident, this is good advice, as:

a) we didn't get any gritters this time. Usually the leave the depot when it's a few inches deep and get stuck behind other vehicles struggling in the snow.
b) drivers around here are pretty useless, they drop 15mph at the sight of drizzle, and snow really spooks them.

A couple of years ago, when it snowed a fair bit (for Cambridge got 3" in half a day) the one hill for miles around caused no end of trouble for the locals, who had the terribly bright idea of stopping at the bottom it. Subsequently they just wheel span on the now freezing roads and caused huge tailbacks. If only they had just kept going at a steady speed.