Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Are we ever truly satisified..?

Wikiposts

Are we ever truly satisified..?

Old Sep 25th 2007, 11:21 am
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Are we ever truly satisified..?

Thank you so much for that, it is a learning time for me right now as we tread water and await the sale of our NZ house. Its good to explore why I do things and how I can start to feel anchored to somewhere, hopefully NS!! We cant wait, it feels like a new and exciting start.
Old Sep 25th 2007, 12:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

simongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond reputesimongb has a reputation beyond repute

Many people are never satisfied. They think that 'somewhere else' is always better than where they are. What many of us don't realise is that there is no geographical cure for what ailes us. You take you with you wherever you go!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:00 pm
NS covern member #1

Poppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond reputePoppy2 has a reputation beyond repute

Well that said, there is also a lot to be said for geography adding to the issue. And for myself, I dont think that we could have known how far 12000 miles from the UK and family would truly feel.........especially when my Dad died this year. And it took 4 years to know that change was what we wanted. I totally agree that people can move and go to where they hope the grass is greener, and when you end up there - its just you and your issues, in another location. But if moving/emigration wasnt an answer for some, then we would all be depressed nomads, never happy!!
Old Sep 25th 2007, 3:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by simongb
Many people are never satisfied. They think that 'somewhere else' is always better than where they are. What many of us don't realise is that there is no geographical cure for what ailes us. You take you with you wherever you go!
yes indeed........however....within the move..and time...some~ people are able to transmute what ails them..and actualy overcome and come to a space within themself, that they may never have if they had stayed where they were.......
Old Sep 25th 2007, 4:04 pm
Banned

Dago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to beholdDago is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by bazzz
I keep hearing people going on about how London is so awesome. It's tragic. And I don't think they're talking about London, Ontario.
???

London IS awesome.

Maybe you don't like it.

I've been in most cities in the world and have to grudgingly admit that it is one of the best. I don't like it - but it is awesome.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 2:56 am
Forum Regular

ManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura aboutManBearPig has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by simongb
I agree with that - but it's taken me 22 moves to realise! "living" day to day in one place is very much like any other. It comes down to the mundane things; shops, schools, services health etc and most importantly money. It's one of the sad things that after so many moves I am left with this cynical view - I have never 'fallen in love' with anywhere, and can't really call anywhere 'home'. At this point in my life I would live pretty much anywhere in the world if someone paid me enough to be there.

Much of what Poppy2 said also rings true with me. I have also seen too many of my moves as "stepping stones" but quite what i'm stepping towards I'm not sure. Looking back many of the moves were necessary - or at least justifiable for work or study reasons typically, but it always comes back to that feeling if dissatisfaction. I wonder if I really know what I want.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:01 am
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ManBearPig
I agree with that - but it's taken me 22 moves to realise! "living" day to day in one place is very much like any other. It comes down to the mundane things; shops, schools, services health etc and most importantly money. It's one of the sad things that after so many moves I am left with this cynical view - I have never 'fallen in love' with anywhere, and can't really call anywhere 'home'. At this point in my life I would live pretty much anywhere in the world if someone paid me enough to be there.

Much of what Poppy2 said also rings true with me. I have also seen too many of my moves as "stepping stones" but quite what i'm stepping towards I'm not sure. Looking back many of the moves were necessary - or at least justifiable for work or study reasons typically, but it always comes back to that feeling if dissatisfaction. I wonder if I really know what I want.
I've been to Waterloo many times. I KNOW why you're fed-up!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:14 am
The Cookie Monsters

landhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant futurelandhouse has a brilliant future

Humans are naturally nomadic. Deep within our psyche there is the original transient being, programmed to move where the food is, trying to vie for space in our heads with the 21st century us, who wants everything within an arm's length.

Once upon a time we lived very short lives, which were taken up with just surviving. We have become so adept at survival that we now have too much time on our hands to think - that's why there are so many depressed people in the world and it is becoming one of the biggest reasons for sickness.

Going for a walk 3 times a week has been proven to reduce depression in long-term sufferers - it's just a matter of going back to what we do best - moving around.

So no-one should feel guilty that they are never satisfied with their life. It's the human condition, some of us embrace it, some of us let it lie deep within and then lie on the deathbed and say..."Oh, I had such a crap life".

If the feeling takes you to move on, then do and squeeze every last drop out of your life that you can. I'd like to say we only live once but I believe in reincarnation, so I won't.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:27 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think one size fits all, some people have wanderlust and are always looking over the horizon, others are homebodies, happy to be in one place. "Humans are nomadic" is patently nonsense when you consider how many people have never even considered moving from their home town. Its very common around here for generations to stay in the same small area, there are areas where its the same 3 or 4 surnames on most of the mailboxes, and the same names on the road signs.

I used to think that I would go pretty much anywhere if it paid enough, that's how I ended up here in Ontario, but I really lucked out in the area I ended up drifting too, and now it would take a major financial setback to make me consider moving anywhere else. This place just feels like home, and I am settled here and feel part of the community.

You could argue that if you feel you have never really called anywhere home then you probably haven't stumbled upon "the place" yet, but everyone is different, and maybe that really just is who you are, but then on the other hand I used to feel like that too until I stumbled on "the place" for me and my family.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 26th 2007 at 3:31 am.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:28 am
trust me - I'm a nurse

nursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nicenursemakeyouwell is just really nice

I love this thread! so much wisdom all crammed into one little website! I am definately feeling the karma, and I am feeling a little more philosophical about my current problems (see broken arm blues). Thanks guys!
JoX
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:35 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink

You could argue that if you feel you have never really called anywhere home then you probably havent stumbled upon "the place" yet, but everyone is different, and maybe that really just is who you are, but then on the other hand I used to feel like that too until I stumbled on "the place" for me and my family.
Really good point Iain.

My wife (a born and bred Edmontonian) and I were transferred to Calgary in 1974 we did not look forward to the move (Edmonton-Calgary rivalry and all that crap).

Within two weeks of living here we had fallen in love with "the place" and had no desire to return to Edmonton. We still feel the same about Calgary thirty three years later.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Maple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to beholdMaple Leaf is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nursemakeyouwell
I love this thread! so much wisdom all crammed into one little website! I am definately feeling the karma, and I am feeling a little more philosophical about my current problems (see broken arm blues). Thanks guys!
JoX
wraps arms round you..((((nursemakeyouwell)))))..thank you for your comments!!! i hope you felt the karma i just sent you..heheee

i am going to your broken arm blues thread...right now!!
Old Sep 26th 2007, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

maddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond reputemaddhobs has a reputation beyond repute

A very interesting thread indeed, good on you Maple Leaf! I feel (almost) truly satisfied if that counts!! I love our life here on the Island, the people we meet, our house, the nature, the beauty of it all etc (I should work for Vancouver Island tourism)! In August I returned for a short holiday to England, knew I could never live there again after stepping off the plane and couldn't wait to return to Canada within a few days of being there.

Overall still some slight "tweaking" to be done but as satisfied as can be. Each to their own and I hope everyone is able to find their true satisfaction wherever it is.
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by maddhobs
A very interesting thread indeed, good on you Maple Leaf! I feel (almost) truly satisfied if that counts!! I love our life here on the Island, the people we meet, our house, the nature, the beauty of it all etc (I should work for Vancouver Island tourism)! In August I returned for a short holiday to England, knew I could never live there again after stepping off the plane and couldn't wait to return to Canada within a few days of being there.

Overall still some slight "tweaking" to be done but as satisfied as can be. Each to their own and I hope everyone is able to find their true satisfaction wherever it is.
yes! you should be working for them..i could see you on TV now saying what you just said!......
Old Sep 26th 2007, 4:49 am
BE Forum Addict

live to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond reputelive to ski has a reputation beyond repute

My 2 cousins - aged 22 and 24.

The 24 year old is just living for the now. He works for a bit, then goes travelling, does a ski season there, and bit of temp work there. But he is happy. My aunt dispears of him and just wants him to "settle down" and get a "proper job"!

My 22 year old cousin graduated 18 months ago, and despite filling in hundreds of job applications, can't get a "proper" career job. My aunt just says "I feel so sorry for him, and just want him to be happy".

So why can't my aunt be content that her oldest son is happy, but instead wants to potentially put him through what the youngest is going through, when she says that she just wants him to "be happy"????

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.