British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   we bought a house!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/we-bought-house-520296/)

blimey Mar 9th 2008 4:00 pm

we bought a house! - what about you?

Just introduced myself on the meet and greet side...we're so excited!!

We just bought a house in richmond hill after about 6 weeks of looking. We lucked out to find a great agent who showed us many many places and really helped us through it....the best part is that he got the house for us at 8k less than we were willing to pay! He actually convinced us to put in a LOWER offer then we were going to because he thought he could get them down a bit more so we went for it - we can't believe it!

blimey Mar 9th 2008 5:16 pm

Re: we bought a house!!

anyone else have experiences like this one?

we didn't realise that buying a house here would be so different from the UK, and that the estate agent would be so important - is that a common sentiment?

club_biscuit Mar 9th 2008 5:27 pm

congratulations!!

yes, I found it very different to the UK as well, and I agree that a good agent can make a big difference - I nearly made the mistake of using the listing agent with my first place over here, thinking that's what I would have done back in the UK.

club_biscuit Mar 9th 2008 5:29 pm

you may get more response for this kind of post under the Maple Leaf forum - maybe it should be moved?

Raymate Mar 9th 2008 5:41 pm

Yes we just purchased our new house out in Pickering, we move in about 8 weeks. It was easy and fast, we looked at 12 houses and found a great one that has had loads of upgrades and in perfect condition we also got it for a lower price than was listed. The agent we had was so good, we looked for about 3-4 weeks and on the house we got we saw it Saturday and purchased it Sunday. So damn fast, we has the house inspection done a few days latter and the guy had a hard time finding much wrong with it.

So all we need to do it wait for the move in.

Congrats on your purchase :)

R

blimey Mar 9th 2008 5:59 pm

congratulations to you too:D

yes, the home inspection part is scheduled for tomorrow (forgot about that not-so-minor detail!) - keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well...the house is about 40 yrs old so new by my standards but apparently not considered new here - our agent is an expat too and was laughing when he told us that some of his clients have asked for "an older home" and when he first came here he thought that meant "a period property" but now understands they sometimes just mean 1950's-1970's!!:rofl::rofl:

Raymate Mar 9th 2008 6:12 pm

Originally Posted by blimey (Post 6038762)
congratulations to you too:D

yes, the home inspection part is scheduled for tomorrow (forgot about that not-so-minor detail!) - keeping our fingers crossed that all goes well...the house is about 40 yrs old so new by my standards but apparently not considered new here - our agent is an expat too and was laughing when he told us that some of his clients have asked for "an older home" and when he first came here he thought that meant "a period property" but now understands they sometimes just mean 1950's-1970's!!:rofl::rofl:

Thank you.

Yes they said to us the house is older.... 25 years old they said, I just smiled :)

Then I told them the village in the UK I have just left the local pub was from the 1600s and the old abbey was from 1076 (Elstow) the oldest houses still standing are from 1700s. My old house was just a baby at 40 years or so.

MarkG Mar 9th 2008 6:26 pm

Originally Posted by blimey (Post 6038644)
we didn't realise that buying a house here would be so different from the UK, and that the estate agent would be so important - is that a common sentiment?

I was quite shocked at the difference myself. Estate agents in the UK mostly seem to be the spawn of Satan, determined to sell people the most expensive houses they can at the highest prices they can; over here, our realtor was discouraging us from looking at houses on the limit of what we could get for a mortgage, and encouraging us to under-bid when appropriate (most houses we looked at sold for well over the asking price, but the one we bought we got for substantially below it).

I'm sure they act differently when they're helping the seller rather than the buyer, but they made the process a lot nicer than in the UK. I think one reason is that there's a lot more 'word of mouth' in finding a realtor here, so they really don't want a new buyer to have a bad experience and tell their friends to avoid them.

Obviously the downside is that you're paying them a fair chunk of commission when you buy, but if they know local prices well enough to save you even $5k on what you bid, they've more than paid for themselves. Also, I think they split the sales commission with the seller's agent, so you'd pay the same either way.

club_biscuit Mar 9th 2008 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by MarkG (Post 6038826)

Obviously the downside is that you're paying them a fair chunk of commission when you buy.

:confused: I've never paid an agent anything as the buyer - as you said, he has been paid by the seller.

but you're right re: acting differently when working for the seller - I always use the same agent (he's great) and the goal is to get me the best deal as the client - ie to pay the least as the buyer and to sell the highest as the seller...but again, I've only ever paid him as the seller (and well worth it Roy, if you happen to read this!)

MarkG Mar 9th 2008 7:45 pm

Originally Posted by club_biscuit (Post 6039023)
:confused: I've never paid an agent anything as the buyer - as you said, he has been paid by the seller.

And who do you think the seller got the money from?

Just because the commission is hidden in the price you pay for the house doesn't make it any less a cost to the buyer of buying that house.

Novocastrian Mar 9th 2008 8:50 pm

Re: we bought a house! - what about you?

Originally Posted by blimey (Post 6038441)
Just introduced myself on the meet and greet side...we're so excited!!

We just bought a house in richmond hill after about 6 weeks of looking. We lucked out to find a great agent who showed us many many places and really helped us through it....the best part is that he got the house for us at 8k less than we were willing to pay! He actually convinced us to put in a LOWER offer then we were going to because he thought he could get them down a bit more so we went for it - we can't believe it!

Blimey blimey. Another Richmond Hill poster. We can share the snow status reporting duties if you like. ;)

Where is the house you've bought? <I know, I'm nosey>. But if there's any local knowledge I can help with, give me a shout. Here or by PM.

Welcome to the Hill and to the board.

Novo.

blimey Mar 9th 2008 9:23 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6039285)
Blimey blimey. Another Richmond Hill poster. We can share the snow status reporting duties if you like. ;)

Where is the house you've bought? <I know, I'm nosey>. But if there's any local knowledge I can help with, give me a shout. Here or by PM.

Welcome to the Hill and to the board.

Novo.

thanks! the place is near mill pond - the house isn't that big but the lot is really private.

hey club biscuit - I think we have the same estate agent?! I'll send you a message to confirm - but it sounds about right. No wonder you haven't switched!

Novocastrian Mar 9th 2008 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by blimey (Post 6039456)
thanks! the place is near mill pond - the house isn't that big but the lot is really private.

Errr. How near Mill Pond? I think we're going to be neighbours. :)

daft batty Mar 9th 2008 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by Novocastrian (Post 6039627)
Errr. How near Mill Pond? I think we're going to be neighbours. :)

So now its going to be the Richmond Hill Massive???

:blink:

Novocastrian Mar 9th 2008 10:00 pm

Originally Posted by daft batty (Post 6039653)
So now its going to be the Richmond Hill Massive???

:blink:

batty...I've just about worn out my google for this weekend. What the **** are you on about now?