British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Ways into Alberta (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/ways-into-alberta-708951/)

port7 Mar 11th 2011 7:38 pm

Ways into Alberta

OK so I have just been given the amber light from SHMBO to 'look into' making the move to Canada.

We would be moving to the Edmonton area, as thats where my brother and his family live and one of the main reasons for going.

I seem to recall not so long ago Alberta were on a bit immigration push and going to various places round the world drumming up support to get people to move over there. Was there such a thing?

I am going to look at the skilled workers route, and also I think there is an Expo in Manchester next week we are going to try and get to.

We are both in our late 30's and I would be the main breadwinner, with a career in IT Management for UK Blue Chips. From my various visits to Edmonton, I understand there is at least one big bank with it's HQ in Edmonton, and also the Brick are HQ'ed there too?

cheeky_monkey Mar 11th 2011 8:00 pm

Re: Ways into Alberta

im no expert as i work in construction but for IT i think Calgary would be a better bet?

Essay Mar 12th 2011 8:55 pm

Hi, port7.

Based on my experience, cheeky_monkey has the right idea. Calgary has the majority of IT jobs in Alberta. And you probably already know it isn't advisable to live in Edmonton and drive or fly to Calgary for your daily job. :)

Since you have family in Edmonton, maybe they can help you with introductions for work? Canadian Western Bank is in Edmonton; is this the bank you're thinking of? Perhaps they advertise internally for IT staff?

port7 Mar 13th 2011 11:31 am

Didn't know about Canadian Western, though it was ATB I was thinking about, and I have already contacted a few people on LinkedIn about that (ATB).

Yes Calgary would probably be the better bet, but I want to exhaust all the Edmonton options before going down that route, as being near family is one of the main conditions from SWMBO.

I have experience in other industry sectors, but financial services has been the lions share of my career.

All very exiting! After years of 'defiantly not' from SWMBO regarding moving to Canada, she has now said 'lets seriously look into it'.

james.mc Mar 13th 2011 11:58 am

Originally Posted by port7 (Post 9236502)

All very exiting! After years of 'defiantly not' from SWMBO regarding moving to Canada, she has now said 'lets seriously look into it'.

That's significant progress already :thumbup:

dbd33 Mar 13th 2011 4:30 pm

EDS has an office in Edmonton. They're a client of mine, in the sense of sending me money, but the last person I knew to speak to there left for Vancouver. "It's a sweatshop and Edmonton's ****ing cold" he said, pointing out the obvious.

Essay Mar 13th 2011 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9236955)
EDS has an office in Edmonton. They're a client of mine, in the sense of sending me money, but the last person I knew to speak to there left for Vancouver. "It's a sweatshop and Edmonton's ****ing cold" he said, pointing out the obvious.

Not to mention the overabundance of snow we've been blessed with this year.

Still, as port7 has family here, I expect he already knows about the weather. :D

dbd33 Mar 13th 2011 4:44 pm

Originally Posted by Essay (Post 9236979)
Not to mention the overabundance of snow we've been blessed with this year.

Still, as port7 has family here, I expect he already knows about the weather. :D

I imagine so. Still, my associate, a Newfie, had been there for several years. He said it was alright at first but eventually it wore him down. Mind, I feel that way about winter in Toronto, nevermind the far north.

port7 Mar 14th 2011 1:11 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 9236955)
EDS has an office in Edmonton.

Cheers for that, so the EDS / HP office, assume is it a field office for them to service Edmonton / Alberta based clients? So will have Architects for hire :-)

I notice IBM has a place in Edmonton, think I saw it downtown when I was there last.

Time to warm up my System Integrator contacts....