Which way do I go?

Wikiposts

Which way do I go?

Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:03 am
Just Joined

jojoringo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Which way do I go?

Hi everyone, new to this so bear with me

Right my story! My mum and dad emigrated to Canada when I was 8 (I am 29 in a couple of weeks) and anyway, because of circumstances (mainly financial) it didn't work out. So we came home, bearing in mind we had been there just over 2.5 years and they asked Canada to grant their children early citizenship, but they refused.

My problem? I never wanted to leave and have always wanted to go back. I have worked my way up to get enough points to apply for immigration (degree, number of years in career, and further education) but now I am so confused. I meet the criteria but it is such a long process now and life has taken a hold of us!

I have accumulated debts over the years and with the growing expense of the UK am finding it hard to put a dent in them, plus I am now married and have a 1 year old so I think emmigration is out of the question, so what do I do? (I have a family member who could put money into our account for the application process but I know this is not accepted). Also, when my mum and dad emmigrated they have £500 and got let in, they didn't even check funds (but this was over 20 years ago)

I have many firm friends in Canada still though living there, in fact I am visiting in September as my closest friend is getting married. I was going to use this trip as a basis of making enquires and hopefully establishing contacts, and also for my husband to see what it is like (although he would go anywhere outside of the UK). Is a work permit the right course of action for us?

Also, my other problem, my debts - I think in total between us it is £20k !?!?!?!? Do we leave them? (we have no equity in the house, we bought at the peak in the UK a couple of years ago) or do we go?

I am not intending on returning and not even bothered about buying a house, I just want a better life for my daughter. But what implications will this have (if it didn't work out in Canada we would live in the EU somewhere or have relatives in Australia).

Can someone give me advice?
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:07 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Which way do I go?

Are you seriously planning on leaving and not paying your debts???? im confused
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:08 am
Just Joined

jojoringo is an unknown quantity at this point

Peop,e are advising me to do this but I am not sure.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:12 am
Logical & Hot Stuff

FlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond reputeFlirtyKnickers has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jojoringo
Peop,e are advising me to do this but I am not sure.
If the debt is in your name then it has to be paid....maybe you can come to some arrangement with the credit company and reduce your payments if your finding it tough....but your debt will follow you...even to Canada...
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:17 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

i'm sorry but this sounds as though you want to run away from the UK, and to be honest from what you have said any country will do.

And that is fine - you choose your path and we are not here to agree or disagree with you or your motives.

Whichever way you decide, you need to choose which country you want to run to, and focus on that - for Canada the Wiki at the top of the page shows all the different ways into the country and the financiall obligations relating to each.

Bear in mind you cannot run away from debts wherever in the world you are, and people have ways and means of catching up with you. If you want to move then get in touch with all your creditors and make offers to pay at least something.

You don't need to come here with any cash, a lot of us turned up with a couple of suitcases and not much else!!! However you have a child to support too, so aside from renting a place (there is no real need to buy - the kudos with home ownership is not how it is in England) you will need at decent paying job if your hubby will be working and about $5 to get sorted ie dirt cheap car, few bits of furniture etc.

Canada does not offer a lot of material possesions for your money, so when you come over SERIOUSLY work out your spending cos if you blow it here too then you'll be ina whole heap of trouble
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I think you should concentrate on sorting out your financial problems first. I can see you're in a difficult situation but I don't know if Canada is the solution.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 10:45 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

Right my story! My mum and dad emigrated to Canada when I was 8 (I am 29 in a couple of weeks) and anyway, because of circumstances (mainly financial) it didn't work out. So we came home, bearing in mind we had been there just over 2.5 years and they asked Canada to grant their children early citizenship, but they refused.

My problem? I never wanted to leave and have always wanted to go back. I have worked my way up to get enough points to apply for immigration (degree, number of years in career, and further education) but now I am so confused. I meet the criteria but it is such a long process now and life has taken a hold of us!

I have accumulated debts over the years and with the growing expense of the UK am finding it hard to put a dent in them, plus I am now married and have a 1 year old so I think emmigration is out of the question, so what do I do? (I have a family member who could put money into our account for the application process but I know this is not accepted). Also, when my mum and dad emmigrated they have £500 and got let in, they didn't even check funds (but this was over 20 years ago)

I have many firm friends in Canada still though living there, in fact I am visiting in September as my closest friend is getting married. I was going to use this trip as a basis of making enquires and hopefully establishing contacts, and also for my husband to see what it is like (although he would go anywhere outside of the UK). Is a work permit the right course of action for us?

Also, my other problem, my debts - I think in total between us it is £20k !?!?!?!? Do we leave them? (we have no equity in the house, we bought at the peak in the UK a couple of years ago) or do we go?

I am not intending on returning and not even bothered about buying a house, I just want a better life for my daughter. But what implications will this have (if it didn't work out in Canada we would live in the EU somewhere or have relatives in Australia).

A debt is a debt, a debtor is advanced the money in good faith and trusted to repay it. Running away from debts does not seem very ethical to me. One cannot help but feel this is not what immigration would find attractive in a prospective immigrant, nor a good example to set to ones children.

Then of course this is also a small world, who know when this might catch one up. Be careful who's advice you take.

Last edited by Surrey Expat; Jun 2nd 2008 at 11:57 am.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 11:53 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Don't worry about the debt thing too much. Yeah, you'll have to pay them, but they're not hugely insurmountable. What you want to worry about is how you're going to get to Canada. Without a firm job offer, you've got no chance, so you need to start reading the wiki and finding about that stuff.
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 7:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

What is wrong with people nowadays? I know I shouldn't judge (and don't normally do), but when it comes to people living beyond their means, and then they plan to run away from their debt, well, it just infuriates me!

You want a better life for your daughter, yet you would still be happy to set an incredibly bad example for her!

If your plan has always been to return to Canada, don't you think you should have thought about not getting in to debt a long time ago, instead of trying to leave them behind?

Get your finances sorted, find a job that will help pay off the debt, and then assess whether you will be able to live a more responsible life in Canada. Otherwise you might as well stay here.

Honestly!!!!!
Old Jun 2nd 2008, 8:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond reputeCaitilin has a reputation beyond repute

1) your debt will catch up with you
2) if you got into debt once, and you don't work on your spending pattern you're going to end up in the same problems in Canada, and then what?
3) not paying off will lead you into a lot of stress - not good for you, or your family
4) people who advise stuff often haven't gone through it and put frankly, don't have a clue.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 5:47 am
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

got to be one of the most crazy posts i've read on here

you lived in canada for 2.5 yrs at age of 8, and you always wanted to go back - 20 k in debt but may just forget about it

have you advanced mentally since then ?
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:31 pm
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Hopefully people will have climbed down off their high horses by now.
if you have some debt it doesn't make you a bad person,in fact if you live in the uk at the mo and if you didn't buy a house at least 5 or more years ago, It would be a miracle if you didn't have any. Good luck with what ever you decide
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Jib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the roughJib Jib is a jewel in the rough

I dont think anyone should be making comments on this persons mental state. For those that dont live in the UK its an expensive place to live in recent times. Myself and my wife earn almost £80K between us and struggle each month with the rising price of mortgages, fuel etc.

Personally our mortgage alone has gone up from £998 to £1400 per month because of the lack of deals around from banks and while the previous generation might have benifited from buying when house prices were low anyone who bought recently could potentially have a house thats now worth less than what they paid as prices are dropping monthly now.

I would suggest you contact the people you own money to, providing the loans arent secured on your property you'll be able to reduce the payments down to as little as £1 - or go all the way and declare yourself bankrupt!

I would also say to the "mean" people on this forum - people come here for advice, when you've got a life changing decision to make its not really nice to have people make comments and I've found this forum to be full of mean bitter people who seem to use the forum as a stage for insulting people.
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

TheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud ofTheCanes has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Jib Jib
I dont think anyone should be making comments on this persons mental state. For those that dont live in the UK its an expensive place to live in recent times. Myself and my wife earn almost £80K between us and struggle each month with the rising price of mortgages, fuel etc.

Personally our mortgage alone has gone up from £998 to £1400 per month because of the lack of deals around from banks and while the previous generation might have benifited from buying when house prices were low anyone who bought recently could potentially have a house thats now worth less than what they paid as prices are dropping monthly now.

I would suggest you contact the people you own money to, providing the loans arent secured on your property you'll be able to reduce the payments down to as little as £1 - or go all the way and declare yourself bankrupt!

I would also say to the "mean" people on this forum - people come here for advice, when you've got a life changing decision to make its not really nice to have people make comments and I've found this forum to be full of mean bitter people who seem to use the forum as a stage for insulting people.
I don't think that people are (apart from one maybe) trying to comment on Jojoringo's mental state. I certainly wasn't.

We all know that life is expensive nowadys, but I assume that most people know that you can't just run away from your problems. If you can't afford life the way you are living it, you have to make changes. Not just keep on living it the same way, build up debt, and then consider running away from it.

That's irresponsible and down right stupid IMO!!!
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 9:01 pm
Lovin it!

manningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to allmanningl is a name known to all

Man! I bet Jojoringo is glad they posted on this forum for some advice... was it really necessary to insult her/him?

If they want to run and leave their debt behind then its up to them I'm sure they are not the only 1's to have done that in the past. Caitilin is right when she mentions the fact that unless you change your money habits its very likely to happen again.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do Jojoringo and dont let the haters kill your dream

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.