Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Waverley Game Reserve, NS.....

Wikiposts

Waverley Game Reserve, NS.....

Old Jun 22nd 2008, 1:38 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute
Default Waverley Game Reserve, NS.....

Has anyone ever heard of the above and if so do you know of any weblinks to information about it?

Thanks
Old Jun 22nd 2008, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

bluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nice
Default Re: Waverley Game Reserve, NS.....

Hi

I have only head of the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park. Don't know if you mean this one or not?? www.wildlifepark.gov.ns.ca
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:04 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bluemoon1
Hi

I have only head of the Shubenacadie Wildlife Park. Don't know if you mean this one or not?? www.wildlifepark.gov.ns.ca
Nope not that one! I have an old Canadian book which shows Waverley Game Reserve on it and I have never heard of it and wondered if it was still around or had vanished now.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:12 am
Forum Regular

bluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nicebluemoon1 is just really nice

Thought as much to be honest! Hope you find it
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 12:38 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Does the book have a map showing the site? If you can match it up to a local map you map find the location.

Having said that you may not want to as the disappointment of finding a housing estate where the game reserve should be could just be too much.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:12 am
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

When we had a few hours to waste before going to the airport, we tried to park up at a lake by junction 5 at Fall River. We turned east towards the lake on the east side of the highway , we drove down a road and there was a sign saying 'Game Reserve - Private'! On the map it is just north of Waverley.

Hope this helps
Lynpy
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:16 am

Originally Posted by lynpy
When we had a few hours to waste before going to the airport, we tried to park up at a lake by junction 5 at Fall River. We turned east towards the lake on the east side of the highway , we drove down a road and there was a sign saying 'Game Reserve - Private'! On the map it is just north of Waverley.

Hope this helps
Lynpy
Ahh thank you! Shame it is private though - was looking forward to having a look around if I could find it!

By the way...when flying out of Halifax to the UK how many hours before do you need to check in?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:20 am
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

we went 3 hours b4 but that's because we hadn't pre-booked seats and wanted to make sure we were together. I'm not sure when check in closed.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 1:36 am
Forum Regular

dkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura aboutdkvl has a spectacular aura about

The Game Reserve is still there, but it really a protected wilderness area, rather than anything more formal.

Deborah
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid

By the way...when flying out of Halifax to the UK how many hours before do you need to check in?
That would depend upon who you are flying with and what class.

You need to check to website of the airline you want to fly with. Generally speaking the cheaper your ticket, the earlier you have to check in.
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

The Waverly game Sanctuary is by permit only. Years ago my hubby went gold mining there....by permit. Also you can get a permit to go fish there in Soldiers Lake, I think that is what is called. There are no paths so it is all travel through the woods....I can do that here now, right DNS
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 7:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Right corky.

Give me a few more weeks and I'll walk through those woods with you
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 10:41 am

Originally Posted by Corky
The Waverly game Sanctuary is by permit only. Years ago my hubby went gold mining there....by permit. Also you can get a permit to go fish there in Soldiers Lake, I think that is what is called. There are no paths so it is all travel through the woods....I can do that here now, right DNS
Gold mining! Did he find any?
Old Jun 23rd 2008, 11:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
Gold mining! Did he find any?
no not even abit of dust. That area is quite popular for gold mining though. The area I live in used to be goldmining area back in the 1800, it was quite a populated area back then and we can still see some of the old mine shafts around.
I have some really nice big quartz in my garden so but no gold in them. We went panning for gold at the ovens national Park, I figured my hubby was nuts but when we got there we weren't alone...the place was really busy with gold panners!