Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Water. Restaurants. Sea/Lake view. Pubs. Boats.

Water. Restaurants. Sea/Lake view. Pubs. Boats.

Old Aug 28th 2019, 6:09 pm
Phaedrus by Plato (not5)

Phaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond reputePhaedru5 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Water. Restaurants. Sea/Lake view. Pubs. Boats.

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Absolutely. Thanks for reminding me. Like Cobourg, Kelowna was also a place I could have seen myself living at. Ogopogo doesn't look too comfortable to sit on.

At first look I'm not seeing anywhere obvious to eat/drink while looking at the lake but I'll have to look more.

I could even drop in on stinkypup!!
Eateries overlooking the lake include; Earls Kitchen & Bar, the Cactus Club Cafe, Lakefront sports bar, and you can see the lake from many of the small cafes/hole in wall eateries with street seating at the lower end of Bernard Ave.
And its an Easy bus or taxi ride to downtown Kelowna from the airport.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 6:22 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

British seaside resorts where everything is compact and includes a pub at the harbourside; balcony or terrace overlooking the sea; benches on the sea front.

The Mediterranean or Greek Islands, similarly compact places, restaurants at the water's edge, promenade, a bit of interesting architecture. Palma. Rhodes Town.

Lakeside places like Bowness on Windermere or those picturesque towns on Como and Garda. Or Annecy.

Bar/Cafe lined Marinas like Marbella, Saint-Tropez, Portofino, Kos Town...

Dawlish or even Bourton on the bloody water.

Is there anywhere like this in Canada? Somewhere to spend a few days relaxing with a view, but still within civilisation, an expanse of water, easy to get to (without a car), somewhere with everything you want within a couple of hundred yards walk?

I had thought the boardwalk on the waterfront in Halifax but it looks too much like docks except for a very short stretch. Google streetview and images I can't see any part of Vancouver that looks vaguely like European seaside towns, not even a Lyme Regis.

I know at various parts around Lake Ontario you could believe you were looking out over the sea but I'm not seeing anywhere there with a couple of hotels and a bar/pub/restaurant selection.

Is there anywhere that fits the bill?
Where we are in Toronto there are hotels, restaurants, beaches (man made), boardwalks and the lake looks like the sea. Admittedly sometimes we can see the mist rising from Niagara Falls in the distance, on a sunny day from our window, we could be in the Caribbean sans palm trees.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 7:22 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Port Dover.. but you would need to get there....
That looks nice, thanks
(Turkey point also has a good beach - a motel, pubs, beach goods shops etc., but not much else - though it's flat and you could ride a bike to the Marina and The Jetty pub (from one of the other 2 pubs on the water, lol)
My cycling days are sadly over. Not up to it anymore. A major reason why I'm looking for something with it all close together.
Originally Posted by bats
Look closer to home. St Andrews NB fits the bill. Or Digby NS
I remember having been to St Andrews in 1975. Not that I recall anything except for a pretend game of cricket on a quay. They look a bit like our own Shediac/Parlee Beach. Nice beach but everything else seems a ways back from the water.

But I've come to a decision.

Old Aug 28th 2019, 7:42 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have decided I'm going to target the real thing and put my efforts into the Portofino Hotel in Orlando.

And if you believe that you'll believe anything.

No, really, I'm going to target a place I've always liked and that's Nice for everything that's there and proximity to Monaco, Cannes etc.
See, I've made a discovery. I've always been put off by the travel times of 18 plus hours and numerous changes of plane.

I was mucking about on Expedia yesterday and I found out that flying out on a Saturday, with a single change at Montreal, I can be on a bus on the Promenade des Anglais around 12 hours after walking out my front door. 10hrs 25 time from Moncton to arrival at Nice.

I think that's doable. It can be done for about 12 hours returning the same way rather than via Brussels/Dusseldorf/Toronto nonsense that takes 18 hours plus.

I also remember quite a walk from the railway station in Monaco down to the front, but catching the bus from Nice might be a better option to save my energies and, of course, there are plenty of buses and seats around Nice for resting my weary limbs.

But for now that's what I'm targeting.
Old Aug 28th 2019, 9:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you all for the suggestions. I have decided I'm going to target the real thing and put my efforts into the Portofino Hotel in Orlando.

And if you believe that you'll believe anything.

No, really, I'm going to target a place I've always liked and that's Nice for everything that's there and proximity to Monaco, Cannes etc.
See, I've made a discovery. I've always been put off by the travel times of 18 plus hours and numerous changes of plane.

I was mucking about on Expedia yesterday and I found out that flying out on a Saturday, with a single change at Montreal, I can be on a bus on the Promenade des Anglais around 12 hours after walking out my front door. 10hrs 25 time from Moncton to arrival at Nice.

I think that's doable. It can be done for about 12 hours returning the same way rather than via Brussels/Dusseldorf/Toronto nonsense that takes 18 hours plus.

I also remember quite a walk from the railway station in Monaco down to the front, but catching the bus from Nice might be a better option to save my energies and, of course, there are plenty of buses and seats around Nice for resting my weary limbs.

But for now that's what I'm targeting.
I'd go for Nice in a heartbeat. Our daughter did a year of university there so we visited at Christmas and I love it. I'd been there twice before. Monaco, Cannes, Menton, Ventimiglia all accessible from the train stations. There is a nice train into the mountains to Cuneo and Italy that is very scenic. Our son's university roommate (19 year old) is in Nice now with his family and they have a nice Air B'n B in the old town area which seems to tick the boxes.

We ran from the Stade Louis to the train station in Monaco to catch a late train after a Monaco match (Mbappe was playing) and it wasn't that bad. The bus from Nice to Monaco in the daytime is lovely. Going back by train at night is probably faster.

Old Aug 28th 2019, 10:50 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
We ran from the Stade Louis to the train station in Monaco to catch a late train after a Monaco match (Mbappe was playing) and it wasn't that bad. The bus from Nice to Monaco in the daytime is lovely. Going back by train at night is probably faster.
The last time I went I thought I found an entry to the station earlier than the time before. Only to discover there was a very long walk to get to where the train would be.

Old Aug 29th 2019, 12:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

The last time I went I thought I found an entry to the station earlier than the time before. Only to discover there was a very long walk to get to where the train would be.
https://www.freeimages.com/premium/m...tunnel-1490302

This is the place. It probably didn't save that much time but ensured we didn't get lost running in the streets at night.

We ate at this place before the Monaco Lyon game...it could be considered the Don Cherry's of Monaco if Don Cherry's had BeIN Sports and lamb chops https://www.montecarlo-bar.com/

https://rail.cc/en/blog/tenda-railway-nice-turin This is a must see

Good restaurant in Nice. La Rossettisserie, Restaurant familial et Rôtisserie à Nice

If you want a pizza where they only take cash and all pizzas are 5 euros with unlimited toppings and they usually throw in a beer with that go here. Keep in mind I think it is a money laundering front. Pizza Carlone Nice 5 euros
Old Sep 2nd 2019, 5:34 pm
Forum Regular

I am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond reputeI am I said has a reputation beyond repute

Port Dalhousie in St. Catharines, Ontario might fit the bill.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Dalhousie,_Ontario
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 4:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond reputeTumbling_Dice has a reputation beyond repute

British seaside resorts where everything is compact and includes a pub at the harbourside; balcony or terrace overlooking the sea; benches on the sea front.

The Mediterranean or Greek Islands, similarly compact places, restaurants at the water's edge, promenade, a bit of interesting architecture. Palma. Rhodes Town.

Lakeside places like Bowness on Windermere or those picturesque towns on Como and Garda. Or Annecy.

Bar/Cafe lined Marinas like Marbella, Saint-Tropez, Portofino, Kos Town...

Dawlish or even Bourton on the bloody water.

Is there anywhere like this in Canada? Somewhere to spend a few days relaxing with a view, but still within civilisation, an expanse of water, easy to get to (without a car), somewhere with everything you want within a couple of hundred yards walk?

I had thought the boardwalk on the waterfront in Halifax but it looks too much like docks except for a very short stretch. Google streetview and images I can't see any part of Vancouver that looks vaguely like European seaside towns, not even a Lyme Regis.

I know at various parts around Lake Ontario you could believe you were looking out over the sea but I'm not seeing anywhere there with a couple of hotels and a bar/pub/restaurant selection.

Is there anywhere that fits the bill?
I know I am late to this thread, but I just spent Sunday and Monday doing just the type of things you desribe on the Halifax waterfront, and in two different parts of it. Sunday we were up by the Historic properties, yesterday Bishops Landing area and the Stubborn Goat beer garden. Weather and atmosphere was great.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 4:45 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by Tumbling_Dice
I know I am late to this thread, but I just spent Sunday and Monday doing just the type of things you desribe on the Halifax waterfront, and in two different parts of it. Sunday we were up by the Historic properties, yesterday Bishops Landing area and the Stubborn Goat beer garden. Weather and atmosphere was great.

I seem to have missed a chunk of that. It looks more how I imagined it. I've been trying to follow it around on streetview but every now and then the pathway is either closed or there isn't one

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 4:48 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I seem to have missed a chunk of that. It looks more how I imagined it. I've been trying to follow it around on streetview but every now and then the pathway is either closed or there isn't one
(link to waterfront walkway etc - turn right at first gap in buildings - through the car park .. screenshot from it below... ) https://www.google.ca/maps/uv?hl=en&...px8wCnoECAsQCw
Attached Thumbnails Water. Restaurants. Sea/Lake view. Pubs. Boats.-halifax.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 3rd 2019 at 5:01 pm.
Old Sep 3rd 2019, 5:57 pm
Oscar nominated

(link to waterfront walkway etc - turn right at first gap in buildings - through the car park .. screenshot from it below... )
Hey, no fair! I got much further on your streetview than mine. I found my way in but was only able to get about 200 yards at a time before something stopped me.

Yours has left/right arrows on screen and mine doesn't.....Ah, I see where I'm going wrong.
Yours is .ca and mine is .com.

Old Sep 3rd 2019, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

I hear Port Dover on Lake Erie on Friday 13th September might be a nice, quiet place to go! Well be there
Old Sep 4th 2019, 3:29 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
I hear Port Dover on Lake Erie on Friday 13th September might be a nice, quiet place to go! Well be there

Ha ha ha ha ha ha - if you want to be around literally thousands of bikers, then go for it - but be aware you have to park your vehicle miles away (unless you are on a bike) and bus in. (last year - "By early afternoon, OPP reported upwards of 140,000 visitors to Port Dover for Friday the 13th celebrations and the crowd is expected to keep growing." )
(Port Dover is a very small town.. I go there often)
Friday The 13th Port Dover Ontario Canada - Home
https://www.escapetodover.com/friday-13th

(You might be able to catch the action on their webcam (only live on F13 events) : https://www.portdovermapleleaf.com/about/webcam/ )

Last edited by Siouxie; Sep 4th 2019 at 3:46 pm.
Old Sep 4th 2019, 7:16 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Ha ha ha ha ha ha - if you want to be around literally thousands of bikers, then go for it - but be aware you have to park your vehicle miles away (unless you are on a bike) and bus in. (last year - "By early afternoon, OPP reported upwards of 140,000 visitors to Port Dover for Friday the 13th celebrations and the crowd is expected to keep growing." )
(Port Dover is a very small town.. I go there often)
Friday The 13th Port Dover Ontario Canada - Home
https://www.escapetodover.com/friday-13th

(You might be able to catch the action on their webcam (only live on F13 events) : https://www.portdovermapleleaf.com/about/webcam/ )
I will of course be biking it in - woo hooooo!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.