Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Watching U.K TV from Canada

Watching U.K TV from Canada

Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:46 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watching U.K TV from Canada

Originally Posted by chrissyb
I am in contact with the someone from the site expats and he has said they need to send me a different router (which is no longer available).
Ill mention to hom what you have said as it would be a lot easier than changing providers, seems odd that he hasnt mentioned this option though, maybe hes not aware of it.

Agree with all that Canadian T.V isnt the same! I thought I was missing someting after the first reply but glad some agree!
or use a different VPN provider.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:22 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

These threads are fascinating to me. Out of pure curiousity, how many hrs per day/week do you people watch TV
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:29 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
These threads are fascinating to me. Out of pure curiousity, how many hrs per day/week do you people watch TV
I don't understand it either. You move to a new country, presumably because it has a level of interest and fascination that's a big draw. New things to explore, experience and participate in, and yet British TV seems a pre-occupation to so many.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:58 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I don't understand it either. You move to a new country, presumably because it has a level of interest and fascination that's a big draw. New things to explore, experience and participate in, and yet British TV seems a pre-occupation to so many.
Kids tv is reason enough quite frankly.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:08 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Kids tv is reason enough quite frankly.
Shouldn't they be out on their bikes wearing safety equipment, or reading, or playing, or doing homework?

Maybe i'll eat my words but i always saw kids watching lots of TV being a sign that the parent is lazy
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:11 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb
We flew over and were living with friends who are with the canadian company "Shaw" for internet etc.

Joined expattelly.com and started to watch all our programmes we love yey!

Moved into our own place went with the canadian company "telus" for internet etc and their router will not allow us to connect to the expat telly 's VPN

Telus have stressed every avenue but cannnot get around it. They have suggested I go out and buy a VDSL ETHERNET SWITCH AND ROUTER and they will reinburse me to up to the value of $150. The manufacturer of theirs will not let us connect this is also confirmed by the owner of expat telly as he has had people experience this before with telus.

I really dont want to cancel and go with shaw as they have been sooo helpful BUT I am not computer literate , I really dont want to go out and buy those things as I have no idea how to connect them all! AND Telus cant confirm it wouldnt cause other problems either.

So my question is is anyone with telus and managing to watch U.K tv through another site or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much
I watch our telly all the time with Telus with 15mb broadband. It hardly ever buffers and thats while watching HD versions. We never watch US/Can telly at all. Well, maybe the CBC news in the morn. Once we find out there's another cat stuck up a tree we go back to behind the couch and watch BBC's news
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:16 pm
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
Probably similar to the time you spend on here Richo
Old Jun 12th 2012, 5:22 pm
Beep

Originally Posted by Londonuck
Probably similar to the time you spend on here Richo
That's scary. I'm mainly on here when "working" so i get paid for this

I guess i do it to avoid real work so maybe you have a point
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:10 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dollface
Even after being here 13 years, the Brit TV is still way better than the Canadian/American stuff you access here.
I strongly disagree, but then I always do when this subject comes up. When someone was on about it the other day on here I actually set up a connection to get around the IP restrictions on iPlayer and watched an episode of Have I Got News For You. And okay yes it was amusing but I really did struggle to grasp what they were on about, kept showing pictures of people I didn't recognize and making references to things I didn't know about, I think I got maybe one of Ian Hislop's jokes.

I think I've crossed the rubicon into Canuckness.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:12 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

and watch BBC's news
BBC World News is carried by most (if not all) Canadian providers and it is also on PBS in the evening.

I really don't get the attraction of it either, especially if you're doing it with streaming because of the time difference. And I'm in a position to do it on a basis where it costs me nothing as I have access to a proxy in the UK and I still don't want to.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:21 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
I strongly disagree, but then I always do when this subject comes up. When someone was on about it the other day on here I actually set up a connection to get around the IP restrictions on iPlayer and watched an episode of Have I Got News For You. And okay yes it was amusing but I really did struggle to grasp what they were on about, kept showing pictures of people I didn't recognize and making references to things I didn't know about, I think I got maybe one of Ian Hislop's jokes.

I think I've crossed the rubicon into Canuckness.
Shows like that aside as I admit you have to keep up with politicians, sports stars, entertainers etc to catch most of what's going on - the dramas alone are worth it for me.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:22 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

I watch our telly all the time with Telus with 15mb broadband. It hardly ever buffers and thats while watching HD versions. We never watch US/Can telly at all. Well, maybe the CBC news in the morn. Once we find out there's another cat stuck up a tree we go back to behind the couch and watch BBC's news
Mine buffers a bit, especially when on HD
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:39 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

There are also quality shows, like Coast, that I have never seen advertised on NA channels. I ended up buying the DVD's as it a show that I will watch many times. I gave up on US & Cdn Telly years ago. it is simply not to my taste.
Also, ditched Cdn radio years ago when I discovered BBC Radio on the Internet.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:56 pm
Éireann go Brách

Originally Posted by Steve_
BBC World News is carried by most (if not all) Canadian providers and it is also on PBS in the evening.

I really don't get the attraction of it either, especially if you're doing it with streaming because of the time difference. And I'm in a position to do it on a basis where it costs me nothing as I have access to a proxy in the UK and I still don't want to.
I only stream when i get in and get the live 6pm BBC news, i work very early morns.

Each to their own with all this. If you want to keep up with whats happening at home then do, if not, don't. Zimpels (as the meerkat says on... ooh you wouldnt get that either)

Old Jun 12th 2012, 6:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

glad of the EPL, probably asking a stupid question i suspect but have any of you been able to watch england in the euro? maybe in a bar if not at home?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.