Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Watching U.K TV from Canada

Watching U.K TV from Canada

Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:37 am
Forum Regular

chrissyb is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Watching U.K TV from Canada

We flew over and were living with friends who are with the canadian company "Shaw" for internet etc.

Joined expattelly.com and started to watch all our programmes we love yey!

Moved into our own place went with the canadian company "telus" for internet etc and their router will not allow us to connect to the expat telly 's VPN

Telus have stressed every avenue but cannnot get around it. They have suggested I go out and buy a VDSL ETHERNET SWITCH AND ROUTER and they will reinburse me to up to the value of $150. The manufacturer of theirs will not let us connect this is also confirmed by the owner of expat telly as he has had people experience this before with telus.

I really dont want to cancel and go with shaw as they have been sooo helpful BUT I am not computer literate , I really dont want to go out and buy those things as I have no idea how to connect them all! AND Telus cant confirm it wouldnt cause other problems either.

So my question is is anyone with telus and managing to watch U.K tv through another site or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:49 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watching U.K TV from Canada

Quick question. What do the UK stations broadcast that isn't available on TV over here? The quality BBC programs are available on the US PBS stations, and most of the other programs are US sitcoms and cop procedurals. When I was home last summer, most of the other programs -- chat shows, reality shows -- were just garbage, same as here. I don't get it!
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Quick question. What do the UK stations broadcast that isn't available on TV over here? The quality BBC programs are available on the US PBS stations, and most of the other programs are US sitcoms and cop procedurals. When I was home last summer, most of the other programs -- chat shows, reality shows -- were just garbage, same as here. I don't get it!
All that I seem to get on my cable is chat shows, cop programmes and reality shows with ads every 5 mins. Online I can watch the programmes in the U.K with no adverts I already pay more than I do for sky so dont want to pay anymore for channels i may not like!

I don't feel that the tele here is the same.....

Whats pbs you mention? Im not too sure what that is?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:03 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

PBS (Public Broadcasting Service) is the public-broadcaster in the US. It usually available from your cable provider, but I think that Telus do not have any US stations available in their packages. They have recently shown Dr. Martin (great! Reminded me of all that beautiful westcountry scenery that we swapped for Calgary (bleh!!. They also have Downtown Abbey, a lot of BBC dramas, and also (on the Detroit feed) Eastenders.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:23 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

If you don't mind attaching your laptop to your TV you can download a simple programme called expat shield, which "hides" your Canadian ip address. This means you can log onto BBC iplayer; same with ITV and Channel 4 etc. I know a number of expats have used it in the past. I'm not sure if it's legal or not as you are supposed to have a TV Licence to watch UK TV - but then that might just be the case for "live" TV.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 4:52 am
Forum Regular

jamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nicejamie677 is just really nice

I use a uk proxy server,cost around $9 a month,but i have sky go on my computer on my parents account so get all the sky channels for that and all uk channels,use it mainly for the sport
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:26 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Stick to Canadian TV then. I dont get why you felt the need to respond?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 9:27 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by jamie677
I use a uk proxy server,cost around $9 a month,but i have sky go on my computer on my parents account so get all the sky channels for that and all uk channels,use it mainly for the sport
Same here.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:21 pm

dollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond reputedollface has a reputation beyond repute

I use Strong VPN cost $50 us a year and has all the BBC and ITV channels, Channel 4 and 5, this has live t.v and the respective Iplayers, 4OD etc no access to SKY though.

Even after being here 13 years, the Brit TV is still way better than the Canadian/American stuff you access here. PBS and TVO (if in Ontario) do show Brit stuff but if you wantall of the current up to date stuff you're best going with an add on.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 12:43 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by dollface
I use Strong VPN cost $50 us a year and has all the BBC and ITV channels, Channel 4 and 5, this has live t.v and the respective Iplayers, 4OD etc no access to SKY though.
To get Sky, you need to have someone who already has a Sky account.
I use my parents account- all I needed was the sky card number in order to register.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 1:03 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrissyb
We flew over and were living with friends who are with the canadian company "Shaw" for internet etc.

Joined expattelly.com and started to watch all our programmes we love yey!

Moved into our own place went with the canadian company "telus" for internet etc and their router will not allow us to connect to the expat telly 's VPN

Telus have stressed every avenue but cannnot get around it. They have suggested I go out and buy a VDSL ETHERNET SWITCH AND ROUTER and they will reinburse me to up to the value of $150. The manufacturer of theirs will not let us connect this is also confirmed by the owner of expat telly as he has had people experience this before with telus.

I really dont want to cancel and go with shaw as they have been sooo helpful BUT I am not computer literate , I really dont want to go out and buy those things as I have no idea how to connect them all! AND Telus cant confirm it wouldnt cause other problems either.

So my question is is anyone with telus and managing to watch U.K tv through another site or does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks so much
I had the same issue when i switched to Telus..i emailed the VPN provider there was a different set up required to connect to their VPN when using the system like telus..it was simple to reset up the VPN took ten minutes and everything was as good as before.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

wardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond reputewardy_1990 has a reputation beyond repute

do they have the Premier league on canadian TV or MOTD?
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:13 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

yes they have EPL games live on TSN...no MOTD though.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 2:27 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Expatshield? That's generally a pretty good free option to get a UK IP.

Definitely want to go with a proper VPN if you want to connect mobile devices to a UK IP though.
Old Jun 12th 2012, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
I had the same issue when i switched to Telus..i emailed the VPN provider there was a different set up required to connect to their VPN when using the system like telus..it was simple to reset up the VPN took ten minutes and everything was as good as before.
I am in contact with the someone from the site expats and he has said they need to send me a different router (which is no longer available).
Ill mention to hom what you have said as it would be a lot easier than changing providers, seems odd that he hasnt mentioned this option though, maybe hes not aware of it.

Agree with all that Canadian T.V isnt the same! I thought I was missing someting after the first reply but glad some agree!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.