Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Watching footy in Canada

Wikiposts

Watching footy in Canada

Old Jun 1st 2007, 7:16 am
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of
Default Watching footy in Canada

As you probably realise, live coverage of English footy / football / soccer events can be a bit hit and miss in Canada.

Heres something I found recently to get around some of that...

http://www.surfeverywhere.com/

will allow you to enter the radio five address and get access to the otherwise blocked 5live commentary..which worked five minutes ago, but not now

Better still for those with fast connections is

www.liveuktv.com

If you are cheap like me, they offer a 7 day free trial (enter code "sevendays" at the appropriate prompt), and thanks to the ease of creating new gmail accounts, I've managed to repeat this a few times to get very good (feed) quality itv and bbc coverage of the eurocup and todays international. with non chinese commentary (unlike most feeds from livefooty.doctor-serve.com). and no F#@*ing Tommy Smith (that idiot is one of the few valid reasons I can think of to pine for the UK commentators!)

Still not the same as being down the boozer, but its better than nothing.

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 1st 2007 at 9:03 am.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 7:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watching footy in Canada

There's also football on satellite radio:

http://www.sirius.com/servlet/Conten...=1100707191236
Old Jun 1st 2007, 3:35 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Notiaink...honest
As you probably realise, live coverage of English footy / football / soccer events can be a bit hit and miss in Canada.

will allow you to enter the radio five address and get access to the otherwise blocked 5live commentary..which worked five minutes ago, but not now

www.liveuktv.com

If you are cheap like me, they offer a 7 day free trial (enter code "sevendays" at the appropriate prompt), and thanks to the ease of creating new gmail accounts, I've managed to repeat this a few times to get very good (feed) quality itv and bbc coverage of the eurocup and todays international. with non chinese commentary (unlike most feeds from livefooty.doctor-serve.com). and no F#@*ing Tommy Smith (that idiot is one of the few valid reasons I can think of to pine for the UK commentators!)

Now I don't know much about soccer (lets speak canadian here guys) and don't even try to explain the off side rule.

But at 5am , 8am and 11am every Saturday morning on Fox sports (channel 13 in calgary) there are 3 premier division matches shown and all shown as if live (so you don;'t get the result first)

we pay $5 per month for 5 additional channels on shaw and fox sports is one of them.

So for $1.25 per month ( 75pence a month) you can all sit infront of the TV from 5am till 12.30pm and watch continuous football (soccer).

Value for money, much better than the BBC and ladies we do can do a lot of shopping in that time.
Old Jun 1st 2007, 4:26 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
But at 5am , 8am and 11am every Saturday morning on Fox sports (channel 13 in calgary) there are 3 premier division matches shown and all shown as if live (so you don;'t get the result first)
Helen just one minor point.

You of course meant channel 113 not channel 13, that is Access Television.

Cheers
Steve
Old Jun 1st 2007, 8:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

boxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond reputeboxerdog03 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=

no F#@*ing Tommy Smith (that idiot is one of the few valid reasons I can think of to pine for the UK commentators!)

QUOTE]

We still have to suffer Andy Gray.....now he is a total p***k. Don't know why he's in the job, he hates every team that plays and constantly rips them apart.

Oh for next year when were watching Liverpool from Canada........and no more Andy Gray
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 1:07 am
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Helen just one minor point.

You of course meant channel 113 not channel 13, that is Access Television.

Cheers
Steve
You of course meant channel 113 not channel 13, that is Access Television

I never said I actually watched it and so it is probably 113 not 13, sorry.
Old Jun 2nd 2007, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Southcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of lightSouthcote is a glorious beacon of light

QUOTE]

We still have to suffer Andy Gray.....now he is a total p***k. Don't know why he's in the job, he hates every team that plays and constantly rips them apart.

Oh for next year when were watching Liverpool from Canada........and no more Andy Gray[/QUOTE]

Or worse still - Mark Lawrensen, he must be the biggest tosser of them all surely
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:12 am
Canadiain

Notiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud ofNotiaink...honest has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by boxerdog03

Oh for next year when were watching Liverpool from Canada........and no more Andy Gray
You havent experience Tommy Smyth...have you

You have no idea how bad it can really be, Andy Gray or even Lawro would be like listening to Alan Hanson compared to that ignorant oirish gobshyte. At least they played the game at a higher level than the "German American Soccer League"

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 4th 2007 at 1:39 am.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:16 am
Canadiain

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Now I don't know much about soccer (lets speak canadian here guys) and don't even try to explain the off side rule.

we pay $5 per month for 5 additional channels on shaw and fox sports is one of them.

So for $1.25 per month ( 75pence a month) you can all sit infront of the TV from 5am till 12.30pm and watch continuous football (soccer).

Value for money, much better than the BBC and ladies we do can do a lot of shopping in that time.

Premiership coverage is perfectly adequate in Canada, in fact I prefer watching games in the morning, but stuff like the FA cup, internationals (other than major championships), and heaven forbid following lower league teams you will have to improvise a bit, save for occasional brief highlites on the daily "european sports" show on "The Score" cable chanel.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 1:19 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Premiership coverage is perfectly adequate in Canada, in fact I prefer watching games in the morning, but stuff like the FA cup, internationals (other than major championships), and heaven forbid following lower league teams you will have to improvise a bit, save for occasional brief highlites on the daily "european sports" show on "The Score" cable chanel.
Did you have a good birthday
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:00 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Notiaink, I'm sure you're familiar with livesoccertv.com but if not check it out. If either you or, preferably, your local pub, have a full Rogers digital package there's usually something on to watch somewhere.

N.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

jempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of lightjempee is a glorious beacon of light

www.liveuktv.com

Interestingly my husband says he gets to see more matches on the tv here than we did in the uk.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:31 am
Canadiain

Originally Posted by jempee
Interestingly my husband says he gets to see more matches on the tv here than we did in the uk.
True of the Premiership, but not the FA cup or internationals.

Livesoccertv is a usefull resource if you want to go to the bar to watch, but as most 7pm weekday kick offs are in the middle of the work day, thats a bit inconvenient

Im not into the whole "digital TV" thing. I already have 50 analogue chanels with nothing fit to watch on, why would I want 400 more. It already takes 15 minutes to chanel hop around the dial without finding anything to watch, with digital I would waste the best part of an hour or more before turning the idiot lantern off and doing something more productive with my life

Last edited by Notiaink...honest; Jun 4th 2007 at 4:34 am.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 4:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

True of the Premiership, but not the FA cup or internationals.

Livesoccertv is a useful resource if you want to go to the bar to watch, but as most 7pm weekday kick offs are in the middle of the work day, thats a bit inconvenient
Ah. Yes. For some.
Old Jun 4th 2007, 5:43 am
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

especially when liverpool are being thrashed into a trophyless season, again, ho ho ho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.