Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:21 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice
Default Re: Watch out if you need a licence to work

Originally Posted by mrs. liftman
No thanks, I don't want shooting!
And you are complaining of closed mindedness?
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 6:09 am
Forum Regular

Higgy is on a distinguished road

Cant they pick up a phone and ask the hospital where she worked and the surgeons she worked for what her duties were and how competent she is? Im pretty sure if she wasnt good at what she did then they wouldnt be using her or give her a good reference. Maybe im being too simplistic but sometimes its the only way to know if someone is good at something. Talk...dont just rely on bits of paper. I have seen the mess people leave who have the bits of paper.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

mrs. liftman is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
And you are complaining of closed mindedness?
Have you never watched "Trauma-Life and Death in the ER"?

Thats what it is really like!

I chose Canada for moral and social virtues.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 4:45 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Have you never watched "Trauma-Life and Death in the ER"?

Thats what it is really like!

I chose Canada for moral and social virtues.
You have a very good point there. A former classmate of mine ended up doing a residency in a hospital in New Orleans (Louisiana). He said that the doctors working in the emergency ward have to wear guns!!!!

I've seen the inside action at US emergency wards on TV for decades. If they are in the inner-city of a large city, they see one shot-up Black after the other. It's so bad that they should consider building conveyor belts from the slums to the hospital to move the shot-up Blacks more efficiently.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 5:01 pm
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

I think that the time has come for me to back up my wife.

We went to Nova Scotia full of hope and expectation on the back of telephone calls to the NS College of Licensed Practical Nurses who had assured us in no uncertain terms that we pretty much just neede to turn up, prove that what had been said on the telephone was true, by backing it up with written evidence, police checks etc, and either a license would be issued, or a place for the exam would be forthcoming.

This is why we were so angry and mysified when the Deputy registrar came back with a blunt NO.

So we asked a few question via email, and after the second question, they stopped answering our emails.

We then decided to act.

The letter that begins this thread was drafted, and distributed to everyone we could think of at Provincial and Federal Level. We have also sent it to the Media in the form of CBC, Halifax Chronicle Herald, Global TV and the Daily News.

We are complaining about injustice. I do not presume to think that this will get us into Canada by any quick or backdoor route. What we are looking for is a fairness in the system.

It appears ridiculous to me that you can gain PR points for your occupation, and then not be allowed to practice when you arrive. One part of the system is wrong. Either slim down the NOC codes that attract points to those that will accept foreign qualification at ther real value, or extend the acceptance of those self same qualifications to ALL NOC coded jobs.

The hospital WANTED and NEEDED my wifes particular (and honestly, quite peculiar!) skills. The Manager of the Operating Theatre/Room thought that my wife was overqualified and overskilled for the post, but said that she would have her on the staff in an instant. That is from someone who knows what they are talking about, not some overpaid arsewiper that sits in a really expensive office in Downtown Halifax, presiding over a petty feifdom.

The Licensing Authority have the means and ability to offer licenses, but they choose not to take this route as it may mean that their "members" are reduced in stature by outsiders that have skills and training that are not offered or available in Canada.

If you think that this is an idle boast, the above is a direct quote from the President of the Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada.

We have, therefore, decided that a few cages need rattling both in Halifax and in Ottowa.

We are doing this for ourselves of course, but, we also hope and pray that it may also have some direct effect on others who wish to emigrate to Camada, and may find themselves in this position.

When we have completed our "journey" with the governmental authorities, we will publish a list here of the people and departments that were beneficial to our cause, in the hope that it may be of use to you.

Mrs Liftman and I do not get annoyed easily, but when we do, there are going to be casualties!

We would like to thank the many people who have posted messages of support both here on the forum, by email or PM, we have taken great strength and resolve from them, and to those who think we are arrogant "Brits" who think that Canada owes them something, all I can say is please read the discussions between my wife and OceanMDX. I think that from a very contrary position, MDX has slowly moved across into a supportive role with very helpful comments and advice.
This has been acheived by the showing to him of good research, patient, long research, that we have slogged through prior to our visit in September.

It shows how vital the research is, and that you can never do enough. We thought that we were home and dry. we are still dripping wet.

Thank you all again.
Old Oct 22nd 2004, 5:42 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by liftman
I think that the time has come for me to back up my wife.

We went to Nova Scotia full of hope and expectation on the back of telephone calls to the NS College of Licensed Practical Nurses who had assured us in no uncertain terms that we pretty much just neede to turn up, prove that what had been said on the telephone was true, by backing it up with written evidence, police checks etc, and either a license would be issued, or a place for the exam would be forthcoming.

This is why we were so angry and mysified when the Deputy registrar came back with a blunt NO.

So we asked a few question via email, and after the second question, they stopped answering our emails.

We then decided to act.

The letter that begins this thread was drafted, and distributed to everyone we could think of at Provincial and Federal Level. We have also sent it to the Media in the form of CBC, Halifax Chronicle Herald, Global TV and the Daily News.

We are complaining about injustice. I do not presume to think that this will get us into Canada by any quick or backdoor route. What we are looking for is a fairness in the system.

It appears ridiculous to me that you can gain PR points for your occupation, and then not be allowed to practice when you arrive. One part of the system is wrong. Either slim down the NOC codes that attract points to those that will accept foreign qualification at ther real value, or extend the acceptance of those self same qualifications to ALL NOC coded jobs.

The hospital WANTED and NEEDED my wifes particular (and honestly, quite peculiar!) skills. The Manager of the Operating Theatre/Room thought that my wife was overqualified and overskilled for the post, but said that she would have her on the staff in an instant. That is from someone who knows what they are talking about, not some overpaid arsewiper that sits in a really expensive office in Downtown Halifax, presiding over a petty feifdom.

The Licensing Authority have the means and ability to offer licenses, but they choose not to take this route as it may mean that their "members" are reduced in stature by outsiders that have skills and training that are not offered or available in Canada.

If you think that this is an idle boast, the above is a direct quote from the President of the Operating Room Nurses Association of Canada.

We have, therefore, decided that a few cages need rattling both in Halifax and in Ottowa.

We are doing this for ourselves of course, but, we also hope and pray that it may also have some direct effect on others who wish to emigrate to Camada, and may find themselves in this position.

When we have completed our "journey" with the governmental authorities, we will publish a list here of the people and departments that were beneficial to our cause, in the hope that it may be of use to you.

Mrs Liftman and I do not get annoyed easily, but when we do, there are going to be casualties!

We would like to thank the many people who have posted messages of support both here on the forum, by email or PM, we have taken great strength and resolve from them, and to those who think we are arrogant "Brits" who think that Canada owes them something, all I can say is please read the discussions between my wife and OceanMDX. I think that from a very contrary position, MDX has slowly moved across into a supportive role with very helpful comments and advice.
This has been acheived by the showing to him of good research, patient, long research, that we have slogged through prior to our visit in September.

It shows how vital the research is, and that you can never do enough. We thought that we were home and dry. we are still dripping wet.

Thank you all again.
Very well put! And I want you to know that I agree with both of you, and hope you succeed with this.

Indeed, I'm just the type you have to persuade - the skeptic. Not surprisingly, you can expect immediate and near total agreement on a website like this. People here are pretty much automatically supportive of anyone in your position whether they are correct or not. Having such support may make you feel good, but it will never get you anywhere. In the real world, it won't be quite so easy to get the support of those who matter - you have to prove to them that you are right, and they have to be willing to intervene. For what little it's worth (nothing really) you have my support.

Good luck to you both!

Last edited by oceanMDX; Oct 22nd 2004 at 7:08 pm.
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 11:22 am
Just going for Holidays

liftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the roughliftman is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
Very well put! And I want you to know that I agree with both of you, and hope you succeed with this.

Indeed, I'm just the type you have to persuade - the skeptic. Not surprisingly, you can expect immediate and near total agreement on a website like this. People here are pretty much automatically supportive of anyone in your position whether they are correct or not. Having such support may make you feel good, but it will never get you anywhere. In the real world, it won't be quite so easy to get the support of those who matter - you have to prove to them that you are right, and they have to be willing to intervene. For what little it's worth (nothing really) you have my support.

Good luck to you both!
Thank You
Old Oct 23rd 2004, 4:19 pm
Forum Regular

Padsnbon is an unknown quantity at this point

I've only just caught up with this thread Mr and Mrs Liftman. :scared: I know ziltch about the process, regulations etc but I hope your fight not only for yourselves but also for others proves fruitful and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Keep us posted Best wishes
Old Oct 24th 2004, 11:56 pm
Just going for Holidays

Originally Posted by Padsnbon
I've only just caught up with this thread Mr and Mrs Liftman. :scared: I know ziltch about the process, regulations etc but I hope your fight not only for yourselves but also for others proves fruitful and I wish you all the luck in the world.

Keep us posted Best wishes
For everyones information.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) have picked up on this, and a news/features editor is going to be speaking to Mrs. Liftman on Monday.

We will post any info we get after.
Old Oct 27th 2004, 5:36 pm
Just going for Holidays

Originally Posted by liftman
For everyones information.

The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) have picked up on this, and a news/features editor is going to be speaking to Mrs. Liftman on Monday.

We will post any info we get after.
Just a teaser....

CBC have been speaking to the College of LPN's, and there are mutterings of possible changes and further investigation Re: Mrs Liftman!
Old Oct 28th 2004, 2:34 pm
BE Forum Addict

Corky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to beholdCorky is a splendid one to behold

Lets hope Mrs. Lifty is sucessful in her quest after this mornings interview. It sounded very positive. Has been intouch with any other media?
Old Oct 28th 2004, 4:47 pm
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

Exemption is not the right word here.

I was looking at doing the same job as I currently do, and I was willing (and Expecting) to have to take the Licensed Practical Nurse exam.

My education and training consists of a two year university based course, (in Canada the course is only 1 year) followed by seven years of practical experience in the operating theatre. I have held organs in my hands that have helped people live a good life. I am on the organ transplant team at my hospital.

I assist the surgeon on complicated neck surgery for cancer lasting in excess of twelve hours.

The manager of the OR at the hospital wanted me for my skills and knowledge. And I was willing to be tested and examined for my competence. This is what annoys me, the fact that your personal skills are useless unless they are from a Canadian establishment. This is not the way to get good quality immigrants.
All I can say is that there must have been something lacking with your education transcript. Can you enlighten us on why they felt that you were not a suitable candadate for LPN registration? i.e. What factors were you missing?

I work as a RN here in Calgary and it was pretty straightforward to get my qualifications recognised. Granted I had to sit the Canadian RN exam which I totally agree.

I understand your frustration but I feel you are a tad wrong to suggest that Canada doesn't recognise foreign qualifications. In fact it is a hell lot easier with a lot less red tape to register here than the US and speaking to UK colleagues at work is on an equal level with OZ.

The simple fact is that Canada like any other country has standards that are set by the training and examinations provided to obtain qualifications. Your education must be lacking on a point(s) that to the Canadians is a pre-requisite for registration for the LPN exam.

LPN's here are IMO nearly similar to the old SEN's at home and indeed many are now going full scope and administering medications. Your education as a technician appears to be quite different.

The short of the matter is that you have in no way whatsoever any nursing qualifications and expect the right to be automatically admitted to a nursing exam.

*edit*

And having worked in both the NHS and the Canadian Health System IMO the standard of care and treatment here in Canada is BY FAR superior to that of the UK. My $0.02 worth.

Last edited by Iginla; Oct 28th 2004 at 6:38 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 5:29 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Iginla

LPN's here are IMO nearly similar to the old SEN's at home and indeed many are now going full scope and administering medications. Your education as a technician appears to be quite different.
I'm gonna have to agree with this. I know it doesn't seem fair and they(the powers that be) certainly haven't handled this well, but there is a big difference between a nurse and a technician when defined roles are kept. It reminds me of the child's play box with the different shaped blocks. If you have the wrong shaped block for a particular hole, you can't get in. You can't expect to change the shape of the hole just so you can fit your block thru

Maybe you will have to train the year for their qualification or how about using your valuable knowledge and experience to upgrade to registered nurse canadian styley!!
Good Luck
Old Oct 28th 2004, 5:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I sympathise entirely. Mr Biiiiink is a dentist. Actually he did a BSc in Microbiology (3yrs) before doing his dental degree (5yrs) so he has kinda followed the Canadian pattern of dentistry (or medicine) being your 2nd "postgrad" degree.

But the licensing board don't care. He is not allowed to sit any licensing exam. If you didn't do your degree in the US or Canada you ain't getting to even try for the licensing exam without doing a 2yr university course at a cost of 90,000 Canadian dollars and that's just the tuition, not your accomodation/cost of living/loss of earnings for 2yrs. That's a cheap school too, the others are even more!

It's crazy. I kind of understand why they're doing it - the tuition in some 3rd world countries is certainly poor - but implying that a British university degree is worthless?? Hey, who set up all the dental schools/medical schools in Canada if not the Brits!!

Also, before you can even *apply* to these dental schools you must pay 500 dollars and do a multiple choice exam in Canada (so add on the airfare, hotel bill). There were over 800 people doing this exam at Mr Biiiiink's sitting, the exam is held 4 times a year. Then if you get a good enough score (Mr Biiiiink did) you can apply to a university. You pay 100 dollars for the privilege.

Then, if you're good enough and they like your application (they did!) they call you for a 5 day assessment for which YOU must pay 1000 dollars (plus airfare, hotel bill). You must also hire your dental equipment from them for 200 dollars. There are 20 candidates at this final stage for 5 places.

If you add up what these universities are making in application fees alone it's a nice little earner. We've been told that because dental/medical school is so expensive in north america they really don't want people from overseas (or their own citizens taking overseas courses) flouting the fees and undercutting home folks and taking their jobs.

Only one university will let Mr Biiiiink apply as a non-PR which he is at the moment. So if he's not successful in getting one of the 5 places this time around, he stands more chance when he's a PR.

Still, he says he'd rather stack shelves in Canada than work as an NHS dentist in Britain. And he really means it.

Hope you find a way of getting registered. Best of luck.

Biiiiink

P.S. Apparently Glasgow Uni vet school graduates are eligible to practise in the US/Canada...don't know how this came about, must have been negotiated on an individual university basis. I don't think there's any hope of this happening for dental schools on an individual basis though but an interesting prospect nonetheless.

Last edited by Biiiiink; Oct 28th 2004 at 5:53 pm.
Old Oct 28th 2004, 7:00 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

It's crazy. I kind of understand why they're doing it - the tuition in some 3rd world countries is certainly poor - but implying that a British university degree is worthless?? Hey, who set up all the dental schools/medical schools in Canada if not the Brits!!
Then again, when the Brits were setting up dental/medical schools in Canada, to remove a tooth they tied one end of a string to your tooth and the other end to a door.

Any British influence over our educational system stopped a very long time ago. Canadian universities and professional schools are heavily influence by the US - not Europe. By the way, where is Europe? Would it be one of Jupiter's moons?

I know all the fees are a pain. However, dentists can make a lot of money in Canada. My former accountant told me that he has a client who is a dentist that nets $1.4 million/year! That's after all his expenses have been paid - only income tax must be paid. Lots of dentists make $500,000/year net.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Oct 28th 2004 at 7:08 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.