Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Watch out if you need a licence to work

Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Watch out if you need a licence to work

Well said Willmore. I am embarrassed as well.

I think Mrs. Liftman should fight the decision. She obviously has better qualifications and more education as well as more experience than lots of Canadians. Its just garbage to turn her down without letting her prove herself in the exam.
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:26 pm
Forum Regular

mrs. liftman is an unknown quantity at this point

Just a quick update....

CBC Radio have been in touch, and they are interested in investigating...

Hmmmm.....
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by mrs. liftman
Just a quick update....

Hmmmm.....
Fantastic news Fiona. If they hound immigration and the medical board like they hounded me last week then youre in there girl!!!!lol Good luck and let me know how it goes.

Jo
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:34 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one Mrs Liftman

WELL DONE !!!!

Lets hope you get the opportunity to express your anger and disbelief about the current system, and how it is very negative towards people like yourself with ample qualifications.

Remember to get a wee plug in, that it is affecting all people who are trying to get into canada.

This should make interesting airplay.

Eddie
Old Oct 20th 2004, 11:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

[QUOTE=

Well said.......continue with this to the end and I'm sure you'll be successful and please don't be let this cloud your opinion of Canada....it really is a great place to live.....we're just a little "stupid" sometimes. Best of Luck and letus know what happens
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:10 am
Glaswegian

Just a quick update....

Hmmmm.....

CFCNs story on how 'immigrants are welcome but their degrees are not' has turned into 'look how we are providing 7month training courses to help immigrants GET UP TO Canadian standards'

Mrs G

Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:41 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by lizwil98
I have a story along these lines and although it makes me cringe at the stupidity of Canadian officials, I will repeat it here.

My sister, who lives in Vancouver, knows a couple from Belgium. They are both lawyers and they were told that Canada really need people with their experience etc. etc. etc. What they were NOT told was that they would have to go back and start their education all over again. So far as I remember the story, they are both working as Notaries in Vancouver.

I hear it over and over again. I think the people at CIC must be brain dead. They tell people that their skills are needed in Canada but they don't bother to tell them that they will have to retrain. Seems a bit like fraud to me.

If the head of the operating room was impressed with Mrs. Liftman's skills and qualifications - how come her opinion did not seem to carry any weight. We are desperately short of skilled medical workers all over Canada and if Mrs. Liftman's experience is common - its not very hard to see why!!!!!!!!!
First, it's not Canada's responsibility to change its rules in order to accommodate every foreigner who may want to come here, whether or not there is a need in certain trades or professions.

Second, it's up to the individual to determine whether or not they are qualified to be licensed in their field in Canada. This information is easily accessible right over the Internet; if one is interested they have no problem finding the information themselves.

Third, to make the accusation of "fraud" is mystifying as much as it is foolish. To suggest that it's all Canada's fault for the situation the couple from Belgium finds themselves in is a total disavowal of their personal actions. Newcomers are ultimately responsible for their own destiny, not the Government of Canada!!!!!!! People have to do their own research before making the move.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 1:51 am
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by ukjo
Because she is probably more qualified that a lot of people working in her field. How would you feel if you were in a job where you worked and trained hard for 10 years or more and then youre told youve got to start at the very bottom of the ladder again and completely retrain? A bit naffed off maybe???? I am in a position where I cant work with my Uk qualification in my career without retaking exams here. Thats fine, its not as though I have to retrain in anything but Mrs Liftman is a hell of lot more qualified with her job yet has to get past all this redtape before they can think of the redtape from immigration. It sucks!!!
Actually, Britons (or anyone else) have absolutely no business being "naffed off", because the rules in every other country in the world don't happen to dove-tail with those of their home country!

You suggest that her qualifications are superior to some others who are actually licensed to practice in that province. That may or may not be true. What for sure is true, is that the only one who has the right (and the responsibility) to make that determination is the provincial licensing body.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 2:02 am
mañana is my busiest day

Exemption is not the right word here.

The manager of the OR at the hospital wanted me for my skills and knowledge. And I was willing to be tested and examined for my competence. This is what annoys me, the fact that your personal skills are useless unless they are from a Canadian establishment. This is not the way to get good quality immigrants.
This is patently false. If your training is deemed to be equivalent to what one would receive in Canada, it would be accepted. For example, I'm sure that US-trained nurses would not have a problem. If I am wrong on this point, prove it by showing me - in the regulations for licensure - where it states that your skills and training must have come from a "Canadian establishment".

I understand your point, but I want you to try to see the issue from the other side. By the way, I was a licensed healthcare professional before I retired from practice in Canada - so I do understand something about the issues involved here.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Oct 21st 2004 at 2:13 am.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 4:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by oceanMDX
For example, I'm sure that US-trained nurses would not have a problem. If I am wrong on this point, prove it by showing me - in the regulations for licensure - where it states that your skills and training must have come from a "Canadian establishment".

I understand your point, but I want you to try to see the issue from the other side. By the way, I was a licensed healthcare professional before I retired from practice in Canada - so I do understand something about the issues involved here.
Well actually, Canada require that a UK trained nurse completes a written examination. Also, one of the surgeons from my hospital, a consultant, was required to re-sit his finals before being licensed in Canada, some 20 years after having passed them in the UK!
Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:13 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

So what? Why should she be exempted from the training and education that everyone else had to go through to obtain a license?
Because her qualifications and experience are SUPERIOR to the Canadian ones - she could piss through the exam, but you lot are so full of your own b.s. that you think that FOREIGNERS are not up to muster. That is why so many of us come and go, because we have to deal with this over and over again. I am very sorry Mrs.Liftman, please find a country that appreciates you.

Your so-called highly trained superior Canadian medical staff botched a routine pre-natal test last week and I lost my baby last night as a direct result of their incompetence. I told the doctor that he was screwing it up and risking the baby and I was told to basically shut up. Don't even try and tell me that we have come up to Canadian standards. You have no idea how far down the totem pole your standards are.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 5:42 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Well actually, Canada require that a UK trained nurse completes a written examination. Also, one of the surgeons from my hospital, a consultant, was required to re-sit his finals before being licensed in Canada, some 20 years after having passed them in the UK!
Actually, "Canada" doesn't specify qualifications for nurses or any other profession since this is strictly the purview of the individual provinces. In other words, licensure of the professions and trades comes under provincial jurisdiction. In your case, Nova Scotia is saying that you won't be permitted to sit the examinations because they found your education to be incomplete. It would appear that this is a consequence of being able to go into a specialty much earlier in the UK for nursing than in Canada.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:11 pm
Forum Regular

Actually, "Canada" doesn't specify qualifications for nurses or any other profession since this is strictly the purview of the individual provinces. In other words, licensure of the professions and trades comes under provincial jurisdiction. In your case, Nova Scotia is saying that you won't be permitted to sit the examinations because they found your education to be incomplete. It would appear that this is a consequence of being able to go into a specialty much earlier in the UK for nursing than in Canada.
If you read my letter it says "I am not a nurse".

I am a specifically trained worker in the OR.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:46 pm
mañana is my busiest day

Because her qualifications and experience are SUPERIOR to the Canadian ones - she could piss through the exam, but you lot are so full of your own b.s. that you think that FOREIGNERS are not up to muster. That is why so many of us come and go, because we have to deal with this over and over again.
First, you're certainly not qualified to make any such statement. The last time I checked, you were claiming to be a social worker not a nurse.

Second, don't be bothered to put words in my mouth. At no time did I say that "FOREIGNERS" are not up to muster. In fact, I stated just the opposite when I said that US-trained nurses should not have any problems having their training recognized in Canada. This is because in general, US and Canadian training and qualifications in the professions is deemed to be equivalent. Many (if not all) of our professional schools are accredited in the US.

Your so-called highly trained superior Canadian medical staff botched a routine pre-natal test last week and I lost my baby last night as a direct result of their incompetence. I told the doctor that he was screwing it up and risking the baby and I was told to basically shut up. Don't even try and tell me that we have come up to Canadian standards. You have no idea how far down the totem pole your standards are.
Very sorry to learn that you lost your baby. You have the right - under the regulations - to see that the College of Physicians and Surgeons investigates the doctor whose care you question. You are claiming that the doctor was incompetent, perhaps your are right. Canada wouldn't be the only country to have a number of incompetent doctors (or nurses) in practice - the UK has them too, whether you prefer to admit it or not! That being said, you are not justified to generalize and condemn the entire Canadian healthcare system in the way you have.

The raison d'être for having tough regulations for the professions - the ones you don't seem to appreciate - is to protect the public and remove incompetent practitioners if they can't be prevented from entering practice in the first place.

Only Canadians have the right to decide what training and qualifications are needed to be licensed in a profession in their country. Their decisions deserve to be respected by all. It is a hard fact that one of the major reasons why there is a shortage of doctors and nurses in Canada is because the skills of Canadian trained doctors and nurses are very highly sought after (and respected) all over the world. The US is one example; do you have any idea how many Canadian-trained doctors and nurses are currently working in the US? The number must be in the tens of thousands. American hospitals have sent their recruiters to Canada for decades to hire our healthcare professionals.

I practiced in one of the healthcare disciplines for 16 years. I used to see the results of opthalmological surgical treatment on nearly a daily basis during that entire time. Some eye surgeons did totally brilliant work consistently. Dr. Gimbel of Calgary's work was so amazing that it would send chills up my spine when I examined his surgicial results under a microscope. His work was down right spooky. I'm not religious, but I would swear that it had to be God who guided his hands during the surgery. His work was perfect! A computer-controlled laser couldn't exceed the accuracy in his hands. Dr. Gimbel is a Canadian opthalmologist and has trained other surgeons from around the world. Then there was another ophthalmologist whose surgical work was just terrible. If you came out of one of his surgeries with passible results - you were lucky. I got bloody sick of seeing his botched up work. Several patients were blinded due to his incompetence. That opthalmologist was a foreigner who received his training outside of Canada, and I wouldn't want him to operate on a dog, let alone a human being.

As far as I am concerned, it's a good thing that it's not easy for just anyone who happens to work in a profession offshore to come to Canada and start working without meeting our standards. I know that if you saw what I saw, you'd all agree with me.

Last edited by oceanMDX; Oct 21st 2004 at 7:15 pm.
Old Oct 21st 2004, 6:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

Tom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really niceTom Masters is just really nice

Originally Posted by dingbat
Really sorry to hear that. I can only imagine how devasted and furious you must be right now. I lost a baby a few years ago due to an incompetent doctor too - we were living in Kuwait at the time.

We have been completely stunned at the way foreign trained professionals are treated in a country that is trying to attract immigrants. The medical profession in particular is awful. Many people here in Ontario cannot find a family doctor. I don't know that I would have moved here if I had known how bad the situation would be - I just expected it be similar to the UK. At least I could easily find a family doctor for ourselves and our children there. Now we have no medical professional monitoring the health of our children - doesn't make me feel very safe or comfortable at all.

One of our friends is a foreign trained dentist. She had to sit five days worth of exams in order to get on a course so that she could work here. She was one of 150 dentists and there were only 12 places available.

Chris

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.