Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Range cooker in Canada?

Range cooker in Canada?

Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Range cooker in Canada?

We are planning a new kitchen. My wife is very fond of her UK range cooker, it is a 'Stoves' one with four ovens (i.e. one above another, then side by side). It is about 40" wide.

We have looked for similar models in Canada but there are very few and they are generally VERY expensive. The cheapest we have found so far is a Thor model from Costco at about $CAD6k + tax.

Any ideas or suggestions? We have considered a normal slip in cooker then buy and fit an additional oven, but that is a bit of a half-*ssed solution??

By 'range cooker', I mean like the one below......
Attached Thumbnails Range cooker in Canada?-444440801.jpg  

Last edited by Hurlabrick; Sep 29th 2017 at 11:28 am.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:24 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Range cooker in Canada?

We're planning a new kitchen (& an addition to put it in) at present. Mrs AX expressed an interest in a built in oven. When research showed that they cost $4k or so her interest waned. Appliances are expensive here.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:33 am
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
We're planning a new kitchen (& an addition to put it in) at present. Mrs AX expressed an interest in a built in oven. When research showed that they cost $4k or so her interest waned. Appliances are expensive here.
Oh I very much get that appliances are expensive in Canada believe me - I harbour no illusions there. It just seems that the only larger range cookers we could find were all high-end semi-professional makes, can't seem to find that Canadian equivalent to the UK Stoves, Rangemaster etc. Perhaps they just don't have such things so we might be stuck with $6k+??
Old Sep 29th 2017, 11:52 am
BE Enthusiast

raindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond reputeraindropsandroses has a reputation beyond repute

When you say range,do you mean a "proper" wood fired one? I've seen them lots whilst we were house hunting here (Nova Scotia) and they often come up on kijiji free... if you pick them up - with friends and a spinach diet for the previous few days!

They are older but our friends have one in their house and it works brilliantly, and is great when the power goes out.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 12:39 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

BestBuy has slide-in double ovens for $2600.

Size and shape plus position of windows and doors means our cooker has only two places to go and that's either where it is or swapped with the sink. Where it is allows us to have a free standing type, which is fine by me. $350 from Future Shop back around 2008. Looks about $500 now.

I'd like a double oven but that jumps to $1600 or more and we already have my mother in law's better than ours stored in the garage. She brought it when she moved here in 2011 and we didn't have the heart to replace ours so soon.

Thats our next one, assuming it still works.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 1:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by raindropsandroses
When you say range,do you mean a "proper" wood fired one? I've seen them lots whilst we were house hunting here (Nova Scotia) and they often come up on kijiji free... if you pick them up - with friends and a spinach diet for the previous few days!

They are older but our friends have one in their house and it works brilliantly, and is great when the power goes out.
No, we mean natural gas, electric or dual fuel. Basically Mrs Hurlabrick loves two good sized ovens next to each other and loves the Stoves model we have in the UK.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 6:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

You can get them, but they tend to be gas, due to the limitations of 110V electricity.

Also, standardisation of kitchens and the predominance of slot-in cookers makes them less popular.

An Electric double width range would use up to 10KW of electricity - that is the entire capacity of the supply to many houses (100 Amps)!

Last edited by withabix; Sep 29th 2017 at 6:45 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:26 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by withabix
You can get them, but they tend to be gas, due to the limitations of 110V electricity.

Also, standardisation of kitchens and the predominance of slot-in cookers makes them less popular.

An Electric double width range would use up to 10KW of electricity - that is the entire capacity of the supply to many houses (100 Amps)!
Aaaah - OK, that would explain the problem with electric ones!
Old Sep 29th 2017, 7:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Very uncommon, and expensive when you do find one ............... and they do tend to be considered "commercial" or commercial-level
Old Sep 29th 2017, 8:38 pm
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

I had one in the caribbean, stoves build quality is rubbish... It eventually died in too complex a way to fix.

I am much happier with a rangemaster - same co as aga but these are the more modern range. Mine is 100% gas but they do electric and gas.

Smeg ovens look nice but arent so hot, but you can buy professional kitchen kit for the same money, aga’s professional range is falcon, but there are loads of makers.

Another very viable solution -just have a couple of standard size ovens, possibly one with steam, plus a microwave combo oven and a big hob fitted into a fitted kitchen. Much more reliability...
Old Sep 30th 2017, 2:50 am
BE user by choice

Location: A Briton, married to a Canadian, now in Fredericton.
MillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond reputeMillieF has a reputation beyond repute

Can you get get gas where you are moving to?
Old Sep 30th 2017, 3:35 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MillieF

very valid question

Gas is not supplied to all houses, and you would have to pay mega-bucks to get it installed if necessary.

Electricity is the common "fuel" ............... and electric appliances are consequently much cheaper to buy than gas.

I checked into a gas range when we first moved into this house back in 1972 ............ we had a gas line into the basement for the hot water heater and the furnace, but electricity only to the main floor.

It would have cost an arm and a leg to have a gas line fed up to the main floor ............ so we got an electric range.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 8:10 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by MillieF
Oh yes - already 'moved'. Already have a natural gas stove installed there (as well as the hot water tank, tumble dryer and heating all being natural gas).

We are planning an ambitious re-modelling of the kitchen to open plan and the current stove would not work. Gas preferred.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 9:30 am
I still dont believe it..

uk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond reputeuk_grenada has a reputation beyond repute

Is there the option of LPG?

As it has approaching twice the energy of natural gas, its very good for cooking, wok’s etc are much easier to use. Dual fuel cookers with lpg or natural gas can give you the best of both worlds, and a lot have low electrical power ovens, in the uk a normal 13a plug is used so for those who are only allowed 110 volts it should be workable.
Old Sep 30th 2017, 10:39 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix

I've owned a 8 properties here and never had only a 100amp supply to the house, but larger ovens and other kitchen appliances do demand a high draw of power. We refitted a kitchen last year and installed 2 wall ovens, one of which was a convention/microwave combination. Our stove-top is induction. The ovens require a 40amp supply each, the stove top 50amps, so 130amps total.
Attached Thumbnails Range cooker in Canada?-img_2900.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.