Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wanting to move from YYC

Wanting to move from YYC

Old Sep 11th 2017, 12:33 am
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Wanting to move from YYC

Originally Posted by Shard
When they say there aren't any good jobs out there, they mean there aren't enough good jobs out there. ...
I think what they mean is there aren't enough fantastically well paying jobs to pay the fantastically inflated housing costs in those cities where the fantastically well paying job is needed to pay the fantastically inflated housing costs. (and breathe )

Fortunately the housing costs in much of the maritimes are not fantastically inflated so the fantastically well paying job is less essential.

There are, of course, universities, hospitals, finance houses, schools, federal/provincial/municipal government departments, parks departments, IT forms, building companies, industrial parks, call centres, media organisations, retail centres and all the rest of it just like anywhere else in Canada.

Fewer job vacancies at any given moment but, of course fewer job candidates for them. Partly that's smaller population, partly poor literacy rates.

20 vacancies in one top position is no advantage over 5 somewhere else if there are 200 applicants for the 20 positions and 50 for the 5.
Old Sep 11th 2017, 3:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
NS has more per 100,000 than any other province according to 2015 figures.
For several years the maritimes has come out rather well in comparisons with doctor availability.

2015. Canada per 100,000 = 228

Highest province = 261/NS. NL = 243, NB = 222.
Qc 242, On 220, AB 237, BC 232, MB 204
There may well be a lot of doctors here in NS, but the shortage is in family physicians. The current NSHA website lists doctors in the Halifax/Dartmouth area that are taking new patients at this time, and they are all only taking pre-natal. I have only just been placed with a local physician (15 kms away!), after waiting since June 2016, and the cardiologist that the doctor has referred me to has said that I was quite lucky to get one so quickly (despite having a chronic condition).
Old Sep 11th 2017, 5:21 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
There may well be a lot of doctors here in NS, but the shortage is in family physicians. ...
Doctors was just my word. Physicians is the word on that source.

I think the waiting times to actually get a family doctor is long all over Canada. Whenever the subject crops up on BE it seems to affect everyone everywhere although there will always be exceptions.

At the time we moved it was about a year for my Canadian wife and her kids. When my PR came through I didn't have a waiting period. Her doc just added me