British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Walmart DVD players (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/walmart-dvd-players-624674/)

AKW Aug 9th 2009 6:08 pm

Walmart DVD players

I know Walmart are cheap and I am trying to save a few $, but has anyone ever bought a DVD player from walmart and got their UK DVDs to play on it.
In other words do they sale Region/Code free DVD players there?
Been on their site (Walmart and can't get any tech info about the DVD players they sell):confused:

Alan2005 Aug 9th 2009 6:12 pm

Re: Walmart DVD players

Originally Posted by AKW (Post 7827238)
I know Walmart are cheap and I am trying to save a few $, but has anyone ever bought a DVD player from walmart and got their UK DVDs to play on it.
Been on their site (Walmart and can't get any tech info about the DVD players they sell):confused:

Can you not put the make and model and 'region 0' into google and see what comes up.

AKW Aug 9th 2009 6:32 pm

Its a Phillips, but can't make out what model it is. No model info on Walmart site.:)

Mr Bean Aug 9th 2009 7:00 pm

I think all Philips models can be hacked.:)

SarahBC Aug 9th 2009 7:14 pm

Making Canadian DVD Players Multi-Region

Hi,

Here's a link to the website that offers the process for changing your DVD player into a multi-region one.

http://www.videohelp.com/dvdhacks/rca-drc233n/5037

Our cheapo RCA machine came from Walmart, and I just had to follow their instructions and punch in a sequence of keys into the remote control.

You can type in the make/model of the machine you're interested in.

Sarah

Louisecooke Aug 9th 2009 7:15 pm

yes we got one a couple of months ago, a really cheap one. Found a code on the internet and 5 mins later were playing UK DVD's, really easy!

Cookie Aug 9th 2009 7:21 pm

My Walmart RCA player still works fine after 2 years. I hacked it using videohelp website. It has the worst remote control in the land though. The buttons are tiny even with my small hands! Ask to see the remote control of any player you buy :)

Brownstar Aug 9th 2009 7:58 pm

$49 Philip DVD player that upconverts to HD bought from Walmart, plays UK DVD's and DIVX for stuff downloaded from the internet..............absolute bargain.

Alan2005 Aug 9th 2009 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Brownstar (Post 7827411)
$49 Philip DVD player that upconverts to HD bought from Walmart, plays UK DVD's and DIVX for stuff downloaded from the internet..............absolute bargain.

Wow that is a good deal.. how long you had it?

akitared Aug 9th 2009 8:33 pm

Recently brought a Phillips DVP3980 from Wallymart for $49. Does 1080p upconversion over HDMI.

Took three key presses to make it Region Free!!! Works a treat:thumbup:

act1980 Aug 9th 2009 8:42 pm

Try dvdregionhacks.com

Winston Green Aug 10th 2009 12:46 pm

Hi

Don't bother with Walmart go to Canadian Tire. I bought a a Digitron model DV 029 for CD$39 and it plays all regions. There are no code to press in, no keys sequence just plug and play. It is HMDI and works a treat. It does not say anything about multi region on the box but does on the inside literature. :thumbup:

Regards

Winston

Tracie107 Aug 10th 2009 5:08 pm

We bought ours from Canadian Tire ($29) and just found the code to hack into it on one of the above websites.

zippadydoda Aug 10th 2009 5:12 pm

I bought DVD player from Walmart ($30) and it only plays Canadian DVDs. Then saw DVD player in Canadian Superstore ($20) and it plays Canadian and English ! So I went back and bought another!!!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

BTW there was no code to mess with just play straight away and it was cheap as chips!!!!

bananahammock Aug 10th 2009 5:15 pm

Yep, we bought a Diamond brand dirt cheap DVD player from Walmart & it plays our UK & Canadian DVD's .... we never had to use any codes etc ... just tried it & it worked! :thumbsup: