Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Waivering Teenager!!!

Waivering Teenager!!!

Old Sep 27th 2006, 4:59 pm
Forum Regular

pinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to allpinkpanther is a name known to all
Default Re: Waivering Teenager!!!

I guess I think differently. If my kids were in the middle of their GCSE's then I would wait until they had finished. I don't think I'm the kind of person who would be happy to mess up their life by taking them out in the middle of their studies. I would feel it would be my dream to go but that it wouldn't warrant messing up their life. To me, exams are more important.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:27 pm
Just Joined

Triggster is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm from Canada myself, been to England 4 times, but the reason I'm posting is because my best friend is from Canterbury. He moved here when he was a teenager (16) and I met him at high school. He joined our soccer team and of course, was better than most of us

Everyone loved his accent and we became really close friends really fast. We are now both 22 and its been great havin him as a friend. He didn't have any problems adjusting, infact, he was the hot ticket at the school for quite awhile. Made me a little jealous of all the girls he was getting

take care and good luck!
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:32 pm
rae
Settled.

rae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond reputerae has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulesinUK
Hi all,
I haven't posted anything for a while now although I often have a read of other posts.
We are AOR Dec 2004 and were originally quoted 21 months.and had a letter in Aug stating that due to delays, we should have our applications reviewed by next Aug(07)
We are a family of 4 with one boy who is 16 and can't wait to go to Canada and a girl of 14 who last night suddenly said out of the blue that she is having second thoughts and doesn't think she wants to now- a mixture of reasons. She has in the last year made a really nice group of friends and of course, now has a boyfriend.!!! They are all inseparable and she said that she finally feels really settled where she is.
As she has just started her GCSE courses and our son has just started A levels, we wouldn't be going probably now for 2 years.
What has been a dream and an aim for about 3 or 4 years, seems to suddenly be disappearing into the distance. When we originally applied, we thought we would just be there by now and circumstances have changed such a lot.
I know that if we don't end up going, we will regret it at some time in the future but its suddenly getting complicated.
Has anyone with similar age children any words of advice. I've told her she will still be able to keep in touch with the friends what with msn, webcam etc but I think she feels she will have trouble fitting in at school. She is quite socialble but she seems happy in her comfort zone.
Any words of wisdom greatfully received.
give her a clip round the ear 'ole, tell her how all you got for christmas was a tangerine and a yo-yo, during the war everyone ate powdered eggs and if it wasn't for us they'd all be under the jackboot, never had it so good, coal mines, chimney sweeps, rant rant, neeehhh bloody kids.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:43 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dingbat
I worked in Sainsbury's Churchill Sq round the back bit in the eighties....also worked on Western Rd McDonalds and Dig in the Ribs on Preston St during my student days. Bet it's changed now.
No; I think all of those places still look for an Arts degree.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 5:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
No; I think all of those places still look for an Arts degree.

I think the important thing for now is to keep her on the application and to eventually land, two years in a teenagers life is a lifetime away for them. But if you take her off the application she may never get into canada to be with you again. You cannot sponsor her and she will have to apply as a PR on her own merits and wait as long as you did.

I know she thinks she knows what she wants now, but in two years she might as someone else said get the travel bug.

Besides from a fairly youngish Brit girl. Canadian guys are way hotter here they treat women 10 times better and that accent will get her attention quicker than she can say tetley
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:45 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
I guess I think differently. If my kids were in the middle of their GCSE's then I would wait until they had finished. I don't think I'm the kind of person who would be happy to mess up their life by taking them out in the middle of their studies. I would feel it would be my dream to go but that it wouldn't warrant messing up their life. To me, exams are more important.
Problem with that is those exams are useless and in 2 years they have to sit the really import ones here.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:51 pm
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Can always Lie and say boyfriend can come and stay and that if the don't like it after 3 months they can go back and live with granny and ... .. . . ..

When they are paying the bills the get to decided.

OR you can say that it's your future as well as hers and that your sorry but as the parent you have to make the hard decisions that effect them all. Also if we all got cold feet and ran away from the life changing events none of them would exist.

Whatever happens don't mention it again until it's pack your bags your leaving time. It will save a lot of arguements and stop the defiant "I'm doing it coz you said I can't" behaviour.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 6:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rae
give her a clip round the ear 'ole, tell her how all you got for christmas was a tangerine and a yo-yo, during the war everyone ate powdered eggs and if it wasn't for us they'd all be under the jackboot, never had it so good, coal mines, chimney sweeps, rant rant, neeehhh bloody kids.
Aye and 15 of us lived in a shoebox in middle o't road .....
Old Sep 27th 2006, 7:13 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Grah
Also if we all got cold feet none of them would exist.
I think you'll find that the phrase: "my feet are cold; can you you warm me up?" has been responsible for quite a few pregnancies.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 9:15 pm
Forum Regular

Fordprefect is an unknown quantity at this point

Please don't give in. Remember being a teenager? We thought we knew it all too. How many of us wish we knew then what we know now. You are doing what you think is best for your family and from what I have heard you will all have a better life. That is why I am going now. I am sure they will adjust very quickly and I agree with Grah about not saying much about it as it will wear you down with the rows.

I am talking from experience as a mother of 7, when we moved to Cornwall (Not as far as Canada I know, but it is for a child) a few years back from Bristol my youngest daughter was at a school where bullying was rampant and the children of the school didn't do well in their GCSEs.
There were many tears, tantrums and all kinds of scenes but we stuck to our guns and after an initial stubborn, 'I hate it here and I hate you', she grew to love it and her school was near the top of the league in the country and she got 9 c and above GCSEs. The school had a zero tolerance to bullying. The village did tons of things for the kids and we hardly saw her.
Sadly we had to move back 'up country' for very sad family reasons, but that's another story. She even misses Cornwall now and is glad we went.
Sorry to be so long on this but it is important and taking comments on board about the way things are going here on board as regards Brighton etc (have been delivering all over uk and it's getting to be the same everywhere)just go for it and if you can find a quicker route even better.
Old Sep 27th 2006, 10:19 pm
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Difficult isnt it. Our 17 year old is quite happy to go but I feel doesnt appreciate the enormity of the move and our 19 year old is adamant she is not going and starts her second year at uni next week. I know my husband is hesitant at leaving her, breaking up the family as he refers to it, but she is 19 and she could leave home tomorrow to do her thing and we would still be here.

It is a bit doubtful at our ages (65 and 58) whether it is the right thing to be doing but unless we do it we will never know. I would rather our daughter stayed here and did her own thing than come with us reluctantly and it didnt work out and then it would be all our fault. Our kids are only on loan to us anyway and some fly the nest before others. I think the break will do her good and who knows at the end of her course she might decide that she misses us dreadfully and would rather be with us than with boyfriend and job in the UK. If not we will just have to make do with holidays and christmases.

we are fortunate that she does not have the problem of visas etc because as I am Canadian by birth we took out citizenship for them, so they hold dual nationality. So she can come over at any time if she wishes.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 3:01 am
West Coast Enthusiast

Frank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud ofFrank'n Sense has much to be proud of

Hi there,
It seems we were lucky. We came with four kids, from 12 through to 17 when we came. They were fairly keen to come all but the youngest. The hardest part was living in limbo before we could leave. Not being able to make longer term plans with their friends because we could be off at any point. They coped well with all this, though there were tears and dramas from time to time. We made sure we talked regularly about our hopes and dreams for our new life in Canada - something for them to hang onto when letting go of life in the UK.

We got them all to write diaries of their early experiences in Canada. Your children might find them something of interest. It could help you focus on their interests and concerns about the move too. Our kids are willing to email or msn others once introduced.
http://www.relocation2bc.com/teendiaries.htm

Hang on. It is worth it in the end.

Warmly,

Frank
Originally Posted by JulesinUK
Thanks to you all!
Its good to hear of other people with the same problem.Its true that if the opportunity is there to make the move, we'd be silly to not take it up and life certainly is all about new experiences good and bad after all!
Old Sep 28th 2006, 4:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

My daughter was 11 when we moved to the US. She settled into US life immediately without any problems and loved it. Then she decided to go to uni in Toronto and loves the life there too.

My husband and I wished we had the opportunities she has had.
Old Sep 28th 2006, 6:07 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pinkpanther
I'd disagree with that. Not that I don't think exams are important, but if one is planning on coming to Canada permanently, then GCSE's are fairly worthless here, and it would be more beneficial, in my opinion, to get into the high school system here as early as possible. All the further education and employment prospects here relate to high school graduation, so as a "New Canadian" that should be a high priority.

If one is coming to Canada on a "suck it and see" basis, and not wanting to burn bridges in case they go "home", then I can see the merit in gaining UK qualifications, but IMHO it only gets harder to join the Canadian system, the longer you leave it. .
Old Sep 28th 2006, 9:17 am

KRoss is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by No1_mom
we started our process over 5 years ago originally trying for America with no success, and are now at the end of the line (we hope) for Canada as we have passed our medicals etc. Our daughter now 20 (on Sunday) has decided not to come - same thing, love, studies etc. we Have though kept her on our application and she has passed her medicals etc - she will register with us and fly back. So long as she spends 2 out of 5 years in Canada she can still come. if we take her off the application it is doubtful she would ever come or even pass the application process.

There is no way we would give up our dreams to go - children leave you eventually and we would have given up our dreams which would have affected our younger children. My dad did it years ago when he got the chance to go and my mum didn't. he now regrets it and is looking forward to coming to visit us.

Life isn't easy but you have to think long term, and what is best for everyone. Just imagine you deciding not to go so you 'don't lose her' - and in two or more years time your daughter gets the travel bug or a wonderful international job and moves abroad - she therefore has the wonderful exciting life and you are stuck in poor depressed UK
We are moving to Canada next year, we have already landed and now both our kids have decided they are staying in Scotland. (aged 20 and almost 18 they are both now at Universities in Scotland) The oldest started at a the University of Guelph last year but didnt last long without the love of his life!)
However they have been back and forth across the Atlantic since they were tiny and know how easy it is to fly to Toronto from Scotland. So they just know they will visit when they want. I agree that probably 5 years down the line they will be off doing their own thing and we will see them when they want. So for that reason my husband and I will move ourselves. Although I am under no illusions that this will be a pain free process!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.