Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Waiting to GO?!!

Wikiposts

Waiting to GO?!!

Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:49 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of
Default Re: Waiting to GO?!!

Originally Posted by skyturner
If its is valued at say £150,000 and allowing a sale at £125,000 then it is £25,000 below its value!...simple maths.
I think dexdaw was trying to say that its value is what someone will pay for it - what the estate agent says is informed guesswork-
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
whats the problem with renting in canada?

there was a report in macleans (a canadian news mag) predicting that it will take 7-10 years for canadian house prices to recover to their 2008 prices

I woulldnt be in a rush to buy if i were you. The uk market has been in decline for 3 years already (depending on locality) and so is likely to hit bottom and start to rise again before canada.

Also renting for a while allows you to find out where you need to be
I stated that renting was not an option for us... there is nothing wrong with renting in Canada or anywhere else for that matter, each to their own. My view is that by renting our UK house is not going to give us any gain as there is still the possibility that house prices may fall even further still! I would like to release my shackle and have my cash just in case.
Also, the housing in the UK has not been declining for 3 years...it was rising until it peaked in August 2007, any areas no matter what the economic climate are capable of declining though. I hope this clarifies.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:50 am
BE Enthusiast

dexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud ofdexdaw has much to be proud of

A valuation is an arbitrary figure produced by an estate agent, Its not the houses value!!!!
Old Mar 24th 2009, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Originally Posted by snowshoveller
I think dexdaw was trying to say that its value is what someone will pay for it - what the estate agent says is informed guesswork-
I agree, estate agents values can be way off the mark, that is why it is adviseable to have at least three reports and take the mean everage.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:10 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dexdaw
A valuation is an arbitrary figure produced by an estate agent, Its not the houses value!!!!
When we sold our first house that we bought here in Canada we told the Real Estate guy that we wanted it priced to sell because we were in a hurry. The very first people to view offered the full asking price and we thought ooops! had it gone to cheap? But we had asked advice to sell it quickly and we still made a decent enough profit on what we paid for it originally.

I totally sympathize with the plight of the OP but it's interesting to read how people view the true value of their house. I look at Rightmove to the area that we moved from in 2004 and house prices are still higher than they were then and obviously people need to get as much money as they can but, you know, are these places really being priced to sell?
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

snowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud ofsnowshoveller has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by stepnek
I look at Rightmove to the area that we moved from in 2004 and house prices are still higher than they were then and obviously people need to get as much money as they can but, you know, are these places really being priced to sell?
have you seen how many houses are on rightmove these days - properties are sitting on the market for ages.
Old Mar 24th 2009, 2:37 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by skyturner
I stated that renting was not an option for us... there is nothing wrong with renting in Canada or anywhere else for that matter, each to their own. My view is that by renting our UK house is not going to give us any gain as there is still the possibility that house prices may fall even further still! I would like to release my shackle and have my cash just in case.
Also, the housing in the UK has not been declining for 3 years...it was rising until it peaked in August 2007, any areas no matter what the economic climate are capable of declining though. I hope this clarifies.
fair enough and as you say each to their own.

I know that if we had bought as soon as we landed we would have bought a house that as it turns out may not have worked so well for us.

we have a property in uk that we tried to sell 2 years ago, it didnt go and so we managed to rent it out, it's not mortgaged so it doesnt cost much. I suspect with the state of things at the moment we will need to keep it for at least 3-5 years, currently similar properties are advertised at 30-40% less than they were going for 5 years ago. We sold our primary house in 2006 - which from what I saw was the peak of the market in my area. within months similar properties were fetching up to 5% less

We have been in canada for nearly 2 years and we are still looking as houses, more for research than to buy - the exchange rate is ugly at the mo, and moving large amounts of cash would be painful.