Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Wahoo! Got the job... Dunno what to do though

Wikiposts

Wahoo! Got the job... Dunno what to do though

Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

andrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really nice
Default Wahoo! Got the job... Dunno what to do though

After a whirlwind month me and my family have ended up on PEI and I have been offered a job. They have said they'd give me 6 months to sell my house before I started, which would be in the new year. But, and there is a big but. My wife is not sure about PEI I could really fit in at the company in question it is a small company refurbing engines and on first impressions it looks a very happy ship. But I am really worried about my wife. We have 2 babies, which in effect would mean that my wife would have to be a stay at home mum and there is not much to do near summerside. In the summer months the place is thriving and there is loads to do, but this past week has really been a struggle to keep the boys entertained. One is a toddler and the other 9 months and other than a couple of parent and toddler groups, there really aint much else for my wife and boys to do during the fall/winter/spring months.

The surrounding areas are beautiful and the schools look great. Crime is unheard of (if you excuse the murder the other day) and people do not even lock their cars/houses up. The wage on offer is a lot lower than I have in the UK and I don't have the massive wedge of equity to enable me to live mortgage free and I am completely stuck on what to do :curse: If I don't do It I'll no doubt regret it, but if I do will my wife get bored and want to leave??

We have met 3 English families whilst out here and the 2 families in the Summerside area wife's are feeling the isolation that I fear for my wife... Now, the other side of the coin. The family we met in Cornwall (other side of the island) are living the dream and the mothers have much more activities on offer.

Please can somebody help make sense of this massive decision for me??? I really am having massive doubts...

Thanks
Old Jun 3rd 2008, 12:35 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Wahoo! Got the job... Dunno what to do though

Looks like a 50 km commute from Cornwall to Summerside. That's less than an hour.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulation on getting offered the job I hope you and your wife can come to a compromise that works for you both, Good luck.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

allicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant futureallicat001 has a brilliant future

Many Congrats on the job offer well done.

Hope you manage to work it all out
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:03 am
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of

Congratualtions on the job offer.

In regards the wife, if you know she is happy in her environment at home with the kids then you'll be happy at work. At least you won't have her situation distracting you from your new job and playing on your mind.
Just my opinion but if I knew my wife was happy and content at home then I would be able to give my employer 100%. It would bother me if I knew she was unhappy at home.

Good luck.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:31 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

This may sound really dumb but have you spoke to your wife about it.

What was her response? Did she say that she would feel isolated, is there no way that she could maybe get a couple of days part time work whilst someone minded the lids then at least she would have something to focus on?

Does she have a hobby or talent that she could turn into a small business from home maybe?

You seem to have your lot pretty well sorted - so ask her what she would like out of the move (not just "living the dream" but really what she would like to aim for and do your damndest to make it happen - together.)

Whatever you decide - good luck
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:46 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I'd don't see why anyone would take a job for less money than they currently earn, in a place where they've struggled to amuse themselves for a week.

What's the draw, is it just the pretty scenery?
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:10 pm
No time for muppets!

Mikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of lightMikey B is a glorious beacon of light

Cus Moneys not everything, I left the UK on a job that paid 30,000 quid (sorry no pound sign) started working here for my mate $10 cash and it was the best job of my life, no stress no hassle, out in the sun cutting grass and getting a tan, paid my rent, gas for my stang and beer for the fridge and a night out or 2 life was class.

Yeah sooner or later reality sets in and you have to get a mtge and stuff but after I flip another house should hopefully be mtge free and Ill be trading my 6 figure job in for one that pays about 20-30k a year part time leaving me much more time to enjoy life rather than working it! Money cant buy you hapiness, its all a balance. True I could be greedy and keep the job but why waste my life working if I dont need to for financial reasons? Theres plenty of beaches to bum about on haha!
Old Jun 4th 2008, 2:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Agree Mikey, but you'll be mortgage free on that money - the OP says he won't be. He's also got a wife and 2 kids who didn't seem to think much of the place when he was here. It just doesn't sound like a recipe for success to me.
Old Jun 4th 2008, 3:53 pm
Forum Regular

achanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really niceachanginglife is just really nice

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I'd don't see why anyone would take a job for less money than they currently earn, in a place where they've struggled to amuse themselves for a week.

that is what I was wondering too...

It could be good to step back and review. You said everything is happening fast. It is easy to get excited and carried along when you are offered such an opportunity. Your doubts are good in one way because they are helping you to slow down, and consider.

Some questions you can ask yourself:
Have you just chosen PEI because of job or because you want to live there? What will you do when you are not at work?
What happens if you don't take this opportunity? are you so keen to move you will take this chance even if its not perfect?
What are your reasons for moving to Canada?

Don't just jump at the first opportunity, make sure what ever move you make is taking towards to life you want.
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:47 am
Forum Regular

andrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really niceandrews_45 is just really nice

Originally Posted by bazzz
Looks like a 50 km commute from Cornwall to Summerside. That's less than an hour.
Phew, back in Blighty now.

I know, that was my initial thought but one of the reasons for leaving the UK is cause I hate having to commute and cannot move closer to work because I cannot afford housing in the nice areas. The roads are pretty poor in PEI and I did the run and it took 60 mins with no snow or tourist traffic. Pretty much puts pay to that idea
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:49 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Big Stevo
Congratualtions on the job offer.

In regards the wife, if you know she is happy in her environment at home with the kids then you'll be happy at work. At least you won't have her situation distracting you from your new job and playing on your mind.
Just my opinion but if I knew my wife was happy and content at home then I would be able to give my employer 100%. It would bother me if I knew she was unhappy at home.

Good luck.
I know, thats my main worry. I know deep down she would be unhappy after a few weeks...
Old Jun 5th 2008, 6:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Biiiiink

Sounds mad doesn't it. If I am honest the only positive I can see from this is a quick entry into Canada. I spoke to the relocation company that we signed up with before we flew back (in Halifax) and they are of the same opinion. I am starting to think that I would live to regret moving there. The way I see it is I have 2 options.

1. Take the job and settle on the island and live happily ever after.
2. Stay on the Island and wait for PR and move elsewhere

I really don't know what to do. I am thinking the latter choice but cannot justify leaving a well paid job, family support network and selling my house off for cheap while the market has bombed out. Maybe I would be better off applying for PR and waiting the 5 years for this to come through....

P.S. thanks for congrats chaps, I am just all over the place at the minute not sure what to do...
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

sinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of lightsinurt is a glorious beacon of light

Hi there,
Well firstly congrats on the job offer. We were in a similar dilemma to you last year. We went to Halifax for a reccie but also drove up to Saint John NB as I had an interview. Wasn't 100% sure about living in Saint John and although I was offered the job there I turned it down. I am now happily living and working in Fredericton NB and I am so glad that I did turn the other job down as in our case it worked out for the best.

Have you applied for any other jobs and in any other areas if PEI isn't for you?

Sinead
Old Jun 5th 2008, 7:28 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

It must be difficult, it seems like you have given some very valid reasons as to why this may not be the right move for you at the moment.

It seems that PEI is not necessarily the first choice of where to live for your family and its just the job offer that has taken you there. If this is the case are you able to continue your job search but perhaps to other area's of Canada that you may all feel more comfortable about?

I am still in the early stages of applying for PR, however I feel that the whole family needs to be 100% happy and together on their decision if the move is going to be successful. There are bound to be tough times when you arrive and it will be even more difficult if you are not 100% about the decision in the first place.

This is just my honest view, I appreciate it is hard and you can look at it in both ways you have suggested ie, short term solution for long term gain, but only you can decide what's right for you and your family.

Good luck with whatever you decide

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.