Reload this Page >

Wages in retail...

Wikiposts

Wages in retail...

Old May 31st 2007, 12:52 am
Forum Regular

sweetnesspink is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Wages in retail...

Hi, I'm going to Toronto in January to live and work for about 8 months. I'd like a simple job in retail as it leaves me enough time to see a bit of the country while I'm there.

I'm just worried about surviving on a retail wage as what I've seen so far seems pretty low.

Can anyone tell me (roughly of course) how much fashion stores in downtown Toronto pay?

And I'm I right in thinking when estimating tax etc it's best to take off around 30%?

Thanks everyone,
Lauren.
Old May 31st 2007, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

gleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura aboutgleech has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Wages in retail...

first determine your NOC number for Fashion retail and check the wage here
http://www.labourmarketinformation.c...v_main&lcode=e

Erick
Old May 31st 2007, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by gleech
first determine your NOC number for Fashion retail and check the wage here
http://www.labourmarketinformation.c...v_main&lcode=e

Erick
That link doesn't work for me... is there anything missing from the address?

Thank you for your reply,
Lauren.
Old May 31st 2007, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Well minimum wage in Ontario is $8.00 an hour and most retail places pay minimum. I remember that places like the Bay used to pay more and obviously more upscale places pay a bit more.

I wouldn't want to live in T.O on a retail salary these days... it would be a struggle! (I lived in T.O about 10 years ago and struggled working in retail and living in a run down house with 4 guys! Not fun in the winter!!!)
Old May 31st 2007, 1:51 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The TWs
Well minimum wage in Ontario is $8.00 an hour and most retail places pay minimum. I remember that places like the Bay used to pay more and obviously more upscale places pay a bit more.

I wouldn't want to live in T.O on a retail salary these days... it would be a struggle! (I lived in T.O about 10 years ago and struggled working in retail and living in a run down house with 4 guys! Not fun in the winter!!!)
Hmm. I was worried someone would say that.

Is Vancouver any easier? I want to live in a big city, and I really want to live in Toronto but I don't want to do any serious jobs. I have a degree but I just want to chill out in an easy job for 6 months.

Oh how much stress!
Old May 31st 2007, 1:55 am
BE Enthusiast

The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Well I can't think that anything could be more stressful than living in a big city like Vancouver or Toronto and being that broke.

What about temp work? That will be a lot better paid and relatively chilled out.

Put it this way - if you stick to retail in either of those cities you will live there but you will never get to enjoy them. Would you try to live in London on a retail salary? If the answer is yes then you'll be fine... if not you might want to look at doing something else...
Old May 31st 2007, 1:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by The TWs
Well I can't think that anything could be more stressful than living in a big city like Vancouver or Toronto and being that broke.

What about temp work? That will be a lot better paid and relatively chilled out.

Put it this way - if you stick to retail in either of those cities you will live there but you will never get to enjoy them. Would you try to live in London on a retail salary? If the answer is yes then you'll be fine... if not you might want to look at doing something else...
I live in Edinburgh, one of the most expensive cities in Britain on a retail wage but then again I don't do much, or live much because of a lack of money.

I wish I had a rich daddy like so many other ex students who go off globe trotting. Lol.
Old May 31st 2007, 2:09 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Sears in Red Deer starts you off at around $8.50 per hour and 6% holiday pay depending experience. Apparently this is the same wage rate as Toronto. Zellers will start you off on around $10, McDonalds is around $11 if full time. Again this is Red Deer, but the wages in Alberta are supposed to be pretty close to those in Vancouver and Toronto due to the shortage of workers available to the employers.
Old May 31st 2007, 2:53 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by sweetnesspink
I live in Edinburgh, one of the most expensive cities in Britain on a retail wage but then again I don't do much, or live much because of a lack of money.

I wish I had a rich daddy like so many other ex students who go off globe trotting. Lol.
Have you considered bar work, instead of retail? People in that business rely on tips for most of their income and don't declare them for tax.
Old May 31st 2007, 2:54 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Have you considered bar work, instead of retail? People in that business rely on tips for most of their income and don't declare them for tax.
I hadn't really thought about it, but it's definately an option!
Old May 31st 2007, 3:10 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I hadn't really thought about it, but it's definately an option!
My two studenty bummish type offspring make/made a living from:

- lifeguard, two years ago the city paid $13 and up, private pools more and at one point, four years ago, she was getting $28 for coaching "bratty rich kids with no natural buoyancy". You have to be able to swim, of course.

- private vegetarian chef, that daughter is the part time cook for a family of film people who are on a raw food diet. It's cash money. You have to know a lot about vegetarianism, raw food diets and be an articulate bullshitter.

- officer on a sailing ship, summer only and generates barely any income but you can't spend any money while sailing and you get a fabulous tan. You have to know boats.

In short, they're building on their hobbies, they've turned whatever they're good at into jobs. Similarly, my OH couldn't work here legally until a couple of months ago, so she mucked stalls, trained horses, braided manes and tails; same thing, using what interests her to generate some cash.

What's your thing?
Old May 31st 2007, 3:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
My two studenty bummish type offspring make/made a living from:

- lifeguard, two years ago the city paid $13 and up, private pools more and at one point, four years ago, she was getting $28 for coaching "bratty rich kids with no natural buoyancy". You have to be able to swim, of course.

- private vegetarian chef, that daughter is the part time cook for a family of film people who are on a raw food diet. It's cash money. You have to know a lot about vegetarianism, raw food diets and be an articulate bullshitter.

- officer on a sailing ship, summer only and generates barely any income but you can't spend any money while sailing and you get a fabulous tan. You have to know boats.

In short, they're building on their hobbies, they've turned whatever they're good at into jobs. Similarly, my OH couldn't work here legally until a couple of months ago, so she mucked stalls, trained horses, braided manes and tails; same thing, using what interests her to generate some cash.

What's your thing?
I have been thinking about using my interests (mainly drama and theatre type) and I have a degree in the area t help find a job. It's just that I cn get an international transfer with my company and have no hassle with finding a job etc. But this does create the problem of a low retail wage.

Funnily I earn a pretty good wage with them here (for retail) but that doesn't seem to be the same in Toronto.
Old May 31st 2007, 3:16 am

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been thinking about using my interests (mainly drama and theatre type) and I have a degree in the area t help find a job. It's just that I cn get an international transfer with my company and have no hassle with finding a job etc. But this does create the problem of a low retail wage.

Funnily I earn a pretty good wage with them here (for retail) but that doesn't seem to be the same in Toronto.
I think a lot of retail jobs here are commission-based. I don't know if that's the case in the UK.
Old May 31st 2007, 3:18 am
BE Enthusiast

I was an actress in TO its very difficult to get paid work, even teaching kids at community centres. There is very little drama in education by anyone other than teachers... And any work tended to be minimum wage only! (Unless you land that amazing film job!) Have you asked your company what they would pay you if you transferred?

I agree that waitressing and bartending can be a great way to make money in the short term - plus it will be really easy to meet people.
Old May 31st 2007, 3:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I think a lot of retail jobs here are commission-based. I don't know if that's the case in the UK.
No most here is by a set salary.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.