Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Volunteer Opportunities in Canada

Volunteer Opportunities in Canada

Old Aug 1st 2008, 1:04 pm
Just Joined

Zabrave7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Volunteer Opportunities in Canada

Hi guys am hungry for a volunteer opportunity in canada whowever help is credited and loved.See you guys
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:34 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Volunteer Opportunities in Canada

Originally Posted by Zabrave7
Hi guys am hungry for a volunteer opportunity in canada whowever help is credited and loved.See you guys
Excellent. They're looking for ice miners in Nunavut that are willing to work for free.

Seriously: depends on what you want to volunteer as? I volunteered to work at a nursing home for the first month I was here. There are usually volunteer centers listed on the local municipality website. They always seem to have opportunities.

Didn't help me in the slightest to find a paying job however.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 2:46 pm
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Madmac

interesting, as it seems to come recommended as one of the top ways of meeting people and thus networking and thus finding a paid job?

(and I wonder how I could be volunteering in telecom/high tech marketing?)

Actually, one thing I am doing is, that I volunteer online for a Canadian NGO.
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:00 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

I see your profile says you're a citizen of Uganda. That being the case, you'd need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit Canada.

A visitor to Canada (that is, someone who is visiting Canada without a temporary work permit) is allowed to work for free if the work he/she is doing is ordinarily done by unpaid volunteers and if he/she is not competing with Canadian workers in the Canadian labour market. If you come to Canada as a visitor you have to be careful about the kind of volunteer work you undertake. See the Wiki article called Volunteer Work-Canada.

If you wanted a paid job in the charity field, you would need a temporary work permit (TWP), but your prospective employer would not need to get a labour market opinion (LMO) before offering you a job. In other words, the employer would not be obliged to advertise the job across Canada before offering it to you. See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.

You can find opportunities in the non-profit sector in Canada -- both paid jobs and unpaid volunteer positions -- on the Charity Village website.
x
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:06 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ikatita
interesting, as it seems to come recommended as one of the top ways of meeting people and thus networking and thus finding a paid job?
It's effective, but it takes a long time to experience results. For example, if you are one of the coordinators for your son's soccer team, you'll meet other parents in your community, and those connections will be useful in the long run.

It's a misconception to think that you can sign up as a volunteer for something and it'll lead to a job offer next month.

The Wiki article called Networking-Canada explains both quicker and more long term methods of networking.
x
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:25 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

I've just remembered something else, Ikatita. Volunteering is a good thing to do for any number of reasons, but you should be very careful about whether or not you put it on your resume. The Wiki article called Resume-Canada has a blurb about that.
x
Old Aug 1st 2008, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I've just remembered something else, Ikatita. Volunteering is a good thing to do for any number of reasons, but you should be very careful about whether or not you put it on your resume. The Wiki article called Resume-Canada has a blurb about that.
x
thank you Judy, I saw that mention at a couple of places

so actually, instead of putting my interests and different volunteering stuff (have always done and will probably always do) on my CV as I am used to doing over here, it is off my resume for any Canadian purposes.
Old Aug 4th 2008, 8:14 am
Just Joined

Default Re: Dear Judy

Dear Judy, greetings once again thanks for the message and advise am happy,getting a visa is not a problem as longer as I got an invitation from an organization/company interested in my services and that's what am looking for because I like Canada as a Nation at heart. Am happy to recieve more advise and contact from you most especially if you connect me to one of them since you are a citizen. Cheers

Originally Posted by Judy in Calgary
I see your profile says you're a citizen of Uganda. That being the case, you'd need a Temporary Resident Visa (TRV) to visit Canada.

A visitor to Canada (that is, someone who is visiting Canada without a temporary work permit) is allowed to work for free if the work he/she is doing is ordinarily done by unpaid volunteers and if he/she is not competing with Canadian workers in the Canadian labour market. If you come to Canada as a visitor you have to be careful about the kind of volunteer work you undertake. See the Wiki article called Volunteer Work-Canada.

If you wanted a paid job in the charity field, you would need a temporary work permit (TWP), but your prospective employer would not need to get a labour market opinion (LMO) before offering you a job. In other words, the employer would not be obliged to advertise the job across Canada before offering it to you. See Jobs that require a work permit but no labour market opinion.

You can find opportunities in the non-profit sector in Canada -- both paid jobs and unpaid volunteer positions -- on the Charity Village website.
x
Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:36 am
Just Joined

Dear Madmac, thanks for your message am happy can you please give the contact details? hope to hear from you soon. Bye Bye
Originally Posted by Madmac
Excellent. They're looking for ice miners in Nunavut that are willing to work for free.

Seriously: depends on what you want to volunteer as? I volunteered to work at a nursing home for the first month I was here. There are usually volunteer centers listed on the local municipality website. They always seem to have opportunities.

Old Aug 7th 2008, 11:41 am
Just Joined

Dear Ikatita, how are you,thanks for the message am also a UN Volunteer ONLINE but the weakeness is that you don't get practical exeperience, but it's good. Now am looking my self for a volunteer opportunity in Europe.Bye ByeBye:thu mbsup:

(and I wonder how I could be volunteering in telecom/high tech marketing?)