Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Volcano - anyone booked with canadian affair

Volcano - anyone booked with canadian affair

Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:41 am
Banned

ferngully is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Volcano - anyone booked with canadian affair

Hi there, we're heading to canada in 4 weeks and booked through canadian affair, bit concerned that on the news today they said the volcano might go on for a good number of months and we could either not be able to go or be stranded there when we get there.

If we can't go, CA offer no refunds on flights so we'd be down £1100

anyone else in a similar situation?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Volcano - anyone booked with canadian affair

Originally Posted by ferngully
Hi there, we're heading to canada in 4 weeks and booked through canadian affair, bit concerned that on the news today they said the volcano might go on for a good number of months and we could either not be able to go or be stranded there when we get there.

Not in same situation this time, but Zoom went bust day before we were due to fly home from Vancovuer 2 yrs ago with no chance of refunds. We had paid by credit card so were able to claim half the Zoom return fare from the credit card company (the part of the contract not fulfilled). Did you pay by credit card? You might get it all back?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:49 am
Banned

Originally Posted by singingringingtree
Not in same situation this time, but Zoom went bust day before we were due to fly home from Vancovuer 2 yrs ago with no chance of refunds. We had paid by credit card so were able to claim half the Zoom return fare from the credit card company (the part of the contract not fulfilled). Did you pay by credit card? You might get it all back?
now that was a good idea and no I paid it in full from my bank account - stupid really as I 99% of the time do pay for things on my CC for exactly that reason
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

now that was a good idea and no I paid it in full from my bank account - stupid really as I 99% of the time do pay for things on my CC for exactly that reason
That's a shame. What about travel insurance? Might be worth a try. This item about the current situation from moneysavingexpert.com:

Will travel insurance pay out?

Insurance is complicated so there is no universal answer as each insurer is different, so contact your provider for help.

As your airline costs are likely to be covered, you'll usually only need to claim for additional, non-refundable bookings such as accommodation and car hire.

Some insurers may decline a claim as natural disasters can be excluded from policies, while you may also get rejected if your flight is cancelled as insurers say it then becomes the airline's responsibility to cover all costs.

Not all firms will reject claims. Direct Line and Churchill, for instance, state you will be covered if your flight is cancelled, assuming you fit other required criteria.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:01 am
Forum Regular

smivers is on a distinguished road

I'm booked to fly to Calgary in a little under 3 weeks time, though I paid with my credit card just in case. Hopefully the wind will change back to its normal direction soon though, and blow the ash away from Europe. Also it looks like the airlines are doing test flights to show that they can fly through it.

If they are a european company (and Thomas Cook is), then they have to either give you a different flight or a refund. I'm not sure whether Canadian Affair is european or not though - quite possibly not.

Either way, I'm glad I'm flying out 4 weeks before my wedding, as it gives time to get there other ways if necessary!

Andy
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:21 am
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point

yeah, so we are due to fly out to Toronto from Gatwick this coming friday but only for an 8 day holiday so i would feel really guilty knowing people are struggling to get home.

I can't see our flight happening somehow, but just really hope I get a refund on the flights as Canadian Affair's website is saying flights are delayed, rather than cancelled...we have insurance with Natwest advantage bank accounts so fingers crossed that will come through for us!

Just have to wait for them to keep bumping the ban...on the brightside I may just have to go surf down in cornwall instead, plus the added bonus of schools being back and the beautiful weather recently!!!

I read that 200 years ago the earthquake erupted for 2 years, just imagine what that would be like!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:24 am
Banned

Originally Posted by hockeymonkey85
yeah, so we are due to fly out to Toronto from Gatwick this coming friday but only for an 8 day holiday so i would feel really guilty knowing people are struggling to get home.

I can't see our flight happening somehow, but just really hope I get a refund on the flights as Canadian Affair's website is saying flights are delayed, rather than cancelled...we have insurance with Natwest advantage bank accounts so fingers crossed that will come through for us!

Just have to wait for them to keep bumping the ban...on the brightside I may just have to go surf down in cornwall instead, plus the added bonus of schools being back and the beautiful weather recently!!!

I read that 200 years ago the earthquake erupted for 2 years, just imagine what that would be like!
come back and let me know what happens with your flight will you?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Canadian Affair should have to refund or rebook you under european law, as they are a UK company. They won't give you a refund if you cancel, but if they can't provide the service to you, then they are responsible for you. I think
Old Apr 19th 2010, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point

sure act of buddha or not if they dont give me a seat i shouldn't be paying, although how many days of delays before it is unreasonable for them to not cancel my flight!?

I really don't want to complain as their a people in such worse situations, however like everyone it would be nice to know if our holiday is definately written off so we can get excited about staying in the UK rather than sit in front of the tv and on the phone.

I'm not sure when i should start contacting Canadian Affair and Insurance so we don't clog the phones up for others to be told wait and see.

I think a polite email to the hostel informing them of our situation and hoping they will cancel our room day by day without charges untill we are definalty not going.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 11:03 am
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by smivers
Canadian Affair should have to refund or rebook you under european law, as they are a UK company. They won't give you a refund if you cancel, but if they can't provide the service to you, then they are responsible for you. I think
Correct. The whole "act of God" argument isnt quite applicable in this case.

Anyway, Id be amazed if flights dont start up again regardless of where the ash cloud is or how long it sticks around. Arrangements will be made to either give the all clear for flights or to allow for lower flying altitudes.

What I would say is that Id expect the price of flights to rocket due to companies trying to recoup lost services over the past week, to recoup increased flying costs if flying at lower, ineffective altitudes and to pull the piss out of folk that have been forced to re-book trips and what not.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:18 pm
C'mon already

kazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond reputekazbob has a reputation beyond repute

OH is due to fly out to Halifax on 13th May. At the moment we are just going to wait to see how things pan out.

I have read in the news that this could carry on for months as the volcano is still erupting. It is a pain as we are also booked to fly out on the 5th of August as well. Don't mind if the flight back gets cancelled though!!

Kaz
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:48 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazbob
I have read in the news that this could carry on for months as the volcano is still erupting.
It all depends on the wind direction i believe. A North Westerly will bring it down towards Britain so if the volcano keeps coughing for a long time to come, there should be intermittent windows of closed and opened air space.

I think.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 12:52 pm
Forum Regular

Indeed, though it should be open more often than not, as the wind direction is predominantly from the SW. It's only because we've had a long period of wind from the "wrong" direction that it's managed to get over here.

The airlines are apparently used to dodging ash clouds, so it's just the taking off and landing that are the issues.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:21 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smivers
Indeed, though it should be open more often than not, as the wind direction is predominantly from the SW. It's only because we've had a long period of wind from the "wrong" direction that it's managed to get over here.

The airlines are apparently used to dodging ash clouds, so it's just the taking off and landing that are the issues.
I'm no weatherman so not sure how true it is but an old fella on the BBC news the other morning suggested the NW is the more common.

Either way, the ferry, hire car, and rail industry must be rubbing their hands with glee
Old Apr 19th 2010, 1:26 pm
Forum Regular

BlackIceBoy is an unknown quantity at this point

Should be flying with them from London Gatwick to Vancouver on Sunday morning.

Was shrugging it off before, but now it's gone into this week - it doesn't look bright.

No accommodation booked as staying with family over there - so no refund worries required on that front.

Canadian Affair small print isn't good. However, am insured with Post Office, who seem pretty sympathetic so far - thank goodness.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.