Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Volcano - anyone booked with canadian affair

Volcano - anyone booked with canadian affair

Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all
Default Re: Volcano - anyone booked with canadian affair

im also due to go out in 18 days with CA, it will be interesting to see if i still get to fly out that day or not as backlogs or planes still being grounded may cause severe disruption...

MR79
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:23 pm
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point

So BA carried out a test flight and they think it's okay to fly, even if the gov buy this and agree too fly soon the delays are going to be horrendous to the point of is it worth it!?
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:27 pm
Forum Regular

J0n35y will become famous soon enough

In theory, flights that have not been delayed will take priority and should not see significant delays. The problem lie in flights that have been delayed and fitting them around the schedule. This is why many airlines have simply cancelled the flights offering passengers an alternative date - ie. offered a flight that is currently half full.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:43 pm
Forum Regular

hockeymonkey85 is an unknown quantity at this point

Possibly some good news although i won't get my hopes up just yet!

Sky sources understand plans are in place to open airspace in Scotland at 0600, the Midlands at 1200 and southern UK at 1800 on Tuesday.

sure I understand the theory, although with so many planes at the wrong airports and trying to squeeze additional flights in between the standard flights, delays are surely guaranteed.

If this does all go ahead I really hope customs will not slacken any standards with the additional work load.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

Messiah Khan is an unknown quantity at this point

Me and my GF are flying out to Vancouver with CA in about 6 weeks for our holiday of a lifetime & reccy. Really hope everything has settled down by then as we would both be devastated if we couldn't make it.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Messiah Khan
Me and my GF are flying out to Vancouver with CA in about 6 weeks for our holiday of a lifetime & reccy. Really hope everything has settled down by then as we would both be devastated if we couldn't make it.
As I understand it the problem in Iceland is that the volcano is under a glacier so the heat turns the ice to steam which carries tiny melted blobs of ash high into the atmosphere where they get carried around the world by the jet-stream. So once the ice is melted it presumably shouldn't be a problem unless aircraft get close to the actual eruption... there have been plenty of other eruptions around the world which didn't close down airlines for thousands of miles around.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:58 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

I have heard that UK airspace should be open again tomorrow - fingers crossed!!!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:12 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by smivers
Canadian Affair should have to refund or rebook you under european law, as they are a UK company.
I think the euro regs apply to flights by european carriers AND flights by other carriers originating in europe (i.e. they would apply for an air canada flight from london, but not to london)
Old Apr 19th 2010, 6:01 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm more concerned about the chaos that will happen once the planes are flying again. If northern England and Scottish airports are open and people flown there instead of Gatport Airwick etc then will there be information on how to get south? Maybe buses to take people to the railway station?

My mum is here and due to fly back on Sunday. I would rather she stayed a few more days until it was calmer than to send her off into that uncertainty.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 6:32 pm
BE Enthusiast

MR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to allMR79 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=fledermaus;8507915] Gatport Airwick

Lol!!!!!!!!!! Gatwick Airport.................

MR79
Old Apr 19th 2010, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

Big Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud ofBig Stevo has much to be proud of

My wife is due to leave Heathrow on Wednesday morning to fly back to NS after a weeks break..
She only just managed to get in to the UK before they shut everything down.

Hope she gets back soon, the ironing pile is going to topple over before too long!!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Big Stevo
My wife is due to leave Heathrow on Wednesday morning to fly back to NS after a weeks break..
She only just managed to get in to the UK before they shut everything down.

Hope she gets back soon, the ironing pile is going to topple over before too long!!
Sheesh, you're in Canada now. No need to iron.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 6:44 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

Either way, the ferry, hire car, and rail industry must be rubbing their hands with glee

It's an ill wind that doesn't blow someone some good.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:14 pm

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm hoping that not only is the sky re opened, but that the airlines survive.

Am supposed to be going end june to Vancouver, return July, but as another Zoom customer who had fun the 2 days before my last trip, am a little touchy about this!
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Near Colchester, Essex hoping to go to Port Moody, BC
singingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to beholdsingingringingtree is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by fledermaus
My mum is here and due to fly back on Sunday. I would rather she stayed a few more days until it was calmer than to send her off into that uncertainty.
I think that is a very good idea! We've apparently got a huge new ash cloud heading this way (Sky News this am)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.