Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Visitors Visa on one way ticket?

Visitors Visa on one way ticket?

Old May 2nd 2013, 7:43 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors Visa on one way ticket?

Originally Posted by cushdee
Im now thinking maybe just buy another Single ticket back to the uk and then once she has obtained her own LMO then cancel the single back home and get a refund? this would be less complicated a bit more expensive but easier in the long run?!

It might not be the cheapest approach, but it will be your safest and less complicated option.
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:45 pm
Forum Regular

cushdee is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rick b
I was assuming she was a British passport holder in which case she does not need a Visa to enter the US, only an ESTA, something that Canadian Immigration have no particular care about. Or if you want to be really particular it costs $14!!!
Would it be easier if i just purchased a one way back to the uk? would they see any problems with this? we could just say it was cheaper to do it this way thats why we got 2 singles?

I mean its not like were doing anything illegal she was promised the job but at the last minute they want to "interview" her!

Its a nightmare for us we were already for the big move and WHAM a spanner in the works!
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:23 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I was assuming she was a British passport holder in which case she does not need a Visa to enter the US, only an ESTA, something that Canadian Immigration have no particular care about. Or if you want to be really particular it costs $14!!!
Why not just cancel the (already purchased) single ticket to Canada and get a return? The price is usually the same.
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:24 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Why not just cancel the (already purchased) single ticket to Canada and get a return? The price is usually the same.
I was assuming the already purchased single was the cheapest non refundable type.
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

DandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond reputeDandNHill has a reputation beyond repute

If an airline allows somebody to board with only a single and they get refused entry to the country they are visiting then the airline would be fined and would have to get the traveller back to the country of origin.
Can't remember the full details but the onus is put on the airline which is why they can refuse to fly you if you don't have a return...
Why not get an open return to be on the safe side? It's more expensive than a single but cheaper than if she is turned away in the UK and has to sort out another ticket!
Old May 2nd 2013, 10:41 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I was assuming the already purchased single was the cheapest non refundable type.
Perhaps it is. But as DandNHill says, there are rules.

BTW if she's really only "visiting" why did she buy a single in the first place?
Old May 3rd 2013, 12:40 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
If an airline allows somebody to board with only a single and they get refused entry to the country they are visiting then the airline would be fined and would have to get the traveller back to the country of origin.
Can't remember the full details but the onus is put on the airline which is why they can refuse to fly you if you don't have a return...
Why not get an open return to be on the safe side? It's more expensive than a single but cheaper than if she is turned away in the UK and has to sort out another ticket!
This is the bigger hurdle the OP will find. On a one way and not being a WP holder or PR, the carrier may not (high probability) let them board. There are no fines to the carrier for bringing someone in on a one way ticket, the only onus on the carrier is they record and report all on the pax manifest to the authorities.

The issue to the carrier, is they are on the hook to return them to their country of origin should the individual not be allowed entry. Although they have recourse on the individual to be paid for the flight, the carrier cannot insist on advance payment or no flight. The chances of getting paid are not good.
Old May 3rd 2013, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I love these ones
Simplest would be travelling together and provided you can satisfy CBSA that you are married or common law she could be issued a 2year Visitor Record.
If she got the job would it be her intention to leave Canada? as if entering as a visitor that is one of the requirements that they leave Canada.
If entering on a one way ticket she has to satisfy CBSA that while in Canada she wont work or study and will leave by a prescribed date.
Its a risk you take travelling on a one way unless coming in and landing as a PR or getting a work/study permit.
As others have said some airlines might not even let you board the aircraft.
You have been given several different options the choice is now yours.
Old May 3rd 2013, 7:41 am
Forum Regular

Yes this is the case, we are flying out in the next couple of weeks and apparently once the flight is less than 4 weeks you cant cancel/adjust it.

We are now thinking if we buy a single ticket from canada to Uk for in around 2 months then surely this would be the best option for us now?!

Will they say anything about us having a "single" return ticket back to the uk?
Old May 3rd 2013, 12:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DandNHill
Yes I remember this one also. I even had Air NZ once demanding to see a residence permit for the country I was flying to.
Old May 3rd 2013, 12:22 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

I went travelling for a year and bought a round the world ticket and it comprises a bunch of single flights and I did get a lot of questions from various border folk. So Id suggest making life simpler and easier and get a return flight sorted.
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:19 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
I went travelling for a year and bought a round the world ticket and it comprises a bunch of single flights and I did get a lot of questions from various border folk. So Id suggest making life simpler and easier and get a return flight sorted.
Even if the return ticket is a "one way" ticket would they question that?
Old May 3rd 2013, 2:29 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Id imagine as it is not a full return ticket, it may flag their attention that you have two tickets singles. I would suggest a good cover story regards not been able to get the prices or dates may help.
Old May 3rd 2013, 4:21 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

I doubt it.

Late last year, during our ongoing immigration application/process, we bought 2 x one way tickets (London-Vancouver) through Air Transat because we thought we would have our COPR's by the time the flight was due to go. As is with most of the CIC process, things took way longer than expected
So, we bought two more singles (Vancouver-London) with Air Transat to make up the return leg and came over for a three week holiday/recce. On landing we explained that we had an immigration application in process but were only visiting for now. No problem boarding in the UK, or getting into Canada.

Whether you have two singles or one return to make up your round trip, I see no problem with that, as you do have the means to leave when required.
Old May 3rd 2013, 4:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by james.mc
I doubt it.

Late last year, during our ongoing immigration application/process, we bought 2 x one way tickets (London-Vancouver) through Air Transat because we thought we would have our COPR's by the time the flight was due to go. As is with most of the CIC process, things took way longer than expected
So, we bought two more singles (Vancouver-London) with Air Transat to make up the return leg and came over for a three week holiday/recce. On landing we explained that we had an immigration application in process but were only visiting for now. No problem boarding in the UK, or getting into Canada.

Whether you have two singles or one return to make up your round trip, I see no problem with that, as you do have the means to leave when required.
Great News!!
Do you think it would be best to mention that she is due to get her own LMO but hasnt been cleared yet and she has to go for a interview first. Or Just say that she is visiting me for a month and then returning to the uk and then deciding on the "months holiday" whether or not she is going to come over with me in the future?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.