Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Visitors Visa on one way ticket?

Visitors Visa on one way ticket?

Old May 2nd 2013, 4:14 pm
Forum Regular

cushdee is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Visitors Visa on one way ticket?

Does anyone know if you can go to Canada on a one way ticket as a visitor?

Basically My partner was promised a job and now it has fallen through and the company want to interview her before offering the LMO to her.

The problem is we have already booked a one way ticket?!

Nightmare scenario as you can imagine

any help would be great.

Dave
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:26 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Visitors Visa on one way ticket?

Assuming you are a British passport holder.

My understanding is that it's not a legal requirement for you to travel with a return ticket to Canada as a visitor however, what happens in real life is another matter.... I would still pre purchase a return ticket of some sorts.

Travelling as a visitor under the Visa Exemption program..... with only a single you may be refused boarding at the departure point in the UK, by the airline you are flying with.

On landing with no return ticket you will likely need to convince the Immigration officer that you intend to leave Canada before your allowed period of stay expires and you have the means to buy a return ticket when you need to. Under the Visa exempt program you can stay up to six months, but I believe that if the Immigration officer doubts your stated intentions this can be reduced to whatever they feel necessary on entry, right down to outright refusal of entry!

Holding a return ticket will negate most of these concerns.

Last edited by james.mc; May 2nd 2013 at 4:56 pm.
Old May 2nd 2013, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Forgot to add I myself am coming over a week before and i currently Have a 2 Year LMO and i have been told she could come over as a visitor visiting me?
Originally Posted by cushdee
Does anyone know if you can go to Canada on a one way ticket as a visitor?

Basically My partner was promised a job and now it has fallen through and the company want to interview her before offering the LMO to her.

The problem is we have already booked a one way ticket?!

Nightmare scenario as you can imagine

any help would be great.

Dave
Old May 2nd 2013, 5:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

wolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of lightwolstie is a glorious beacon of light

Forgot to add I myself am coming over a week before and i currently Have a 2 Year LMO and i have been told she could come over as a visitor visiting me?
Do you have a work permit from this LMO?

Presuming you do, if you are in the right skill level (NOC 0, A, B) she can come over and get an open work permit on the back of you having a work permit.
Old May 2nd 2013, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by wolstie
Do you have a work permit from this LMO?

Presuming you do, if you are in the right skill level (NOC 0, A, B) she can come over and get an open work permit on the back of you having a work permit.
Yes I've got a work permit i am good to go, but my job doesnt come under the "List" Hence her trying to get her own LMO which we thought she had but at the last minute its been taken away!! so now we're in limbo,

We were told that she just uses a copy of my work permit and say shes coming to visit me but will they buy that? should she mention that shes gonna get her own LMO once shes had her interview? or just keep quiet and say shes just visiting me?

Im guessing worse case scenario just by a single ticket back when she gets to canada?
Old May 2nd 2013, 5:46 pm
All Sooked up!

james.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond reputejames.mc has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not trying to doubt your intentions, but imagine this scenario...

You are based in Canada full time on a work Visa. Your partner comes over as a visitor and says she will be leaving, yet has no return ticket. It won't look right on paper to immigration as far as her true intentions are.

I'm sure Former Lancastrian will correct me if I am on the wrong tack.

Also, she could still be stopped, by the airline, from boarding in the UK.

I'd get her a return.

Last edited by james.mc; May 2nd 2013 at 5:49 pm.
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:29 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I've got a work permit i am good to go, but my job doesnt come under the "List" Hence her trying to get her own LMO which we thought she had but at the last minute its been taken away!! so now we're in limbo,

We were told that she just uses a copy of my work permit and say shes coming to visit me but will they buy that? should she mention that shes gonna get her own LMO once shes had her interview? or just keep quiet and say shes just visiting me?

Im guessing worse case scenario just by a single ticket back when she gets to canada?
What list are you referring to?, What job will you be doing?
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Mikeypm
What list are you referring to?, What job will you be doing?
Concrete Pump operator.

Originally Posted by james.mc
I'm not trying to doubt your intentions, but imagine this scenario...

You are based in Canada full time on a work Visa. Your partner comes over as a visitor and says she will be leaving, yet has no return ticket. It won't look right on paper to immigration as far as her true intentions are.

I'm sure Former Lancastrian will correct me if I am on the wrong tack.

Also, she could still be stopped, by the airline, from boarding in the UK.

I'd get her a return.
Yeah I see the problem is a single flight back home from canada is like 400-500 pounds a lot of money wasted if its not needed to be spent?!
We have been told by the "Foreign worker employment Agency" that she will be fine flying over with a copy of my Work permit and stating that shes visiting me?!
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:57 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Concrete Pump operator.

Yeah I see the problem is a single flight back home from canada is like 400-500 pounds a lot of money wasted if its not needed to be spent?!
We have been told by the "Foreign worker employment Agency" that she will be fine flying over with a copy of my Work permit and stating that shes visiting me?!
I would never suggest a way around this important immigration ruling, but hypothetically could you not buy a fully refundable one way ticket to the US from whichever airport you happen to be nearest which would be less costly and use as proof of leaving. As it is fully refundable..............You might be out of the money for a few weeks ...........
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rick b
I would never suggest a way around this important immigration ruling, but hypothetically could you not buy a fully refundable one way ticket to the US from whichever airport you happen to be nearest which would be less costly and use as proof of leaving. As it is fully refundable..............You might be out of the money for a few weeks ...........
Very good idea!! Never thought of that at all.

Thankyou!!
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Rick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really niceRick b is just really nice

Very good idea!! Never thought of that at all.

Thankyou!!
No problem. Never done it myself obviously. Ever.
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:24 pm
Pondering a career change

Mikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond reputeMikeypm has a reputation beyond repute

Quick search shows your job falls under the following NOC category 7611 Construction trades helpers and labourer. Not sure it would be classed as a skilled trade and therefore no open work permit for your spouse
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Rick b
Another thing would the immigration officer then ask for proof to show she has a visa to enter america?!

Im thinking if they were to ask that then it could get tricky?
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Im now thinking maybe just buy another Single ticket back to the uk and then once she has obtained her own LMO then cancel the single back home and get a refund? this would be less complicated a bit more expensive but easier in the long run?!
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:35 pm
Forum Regular

Another thing would the immigration officer then ask for proof to show she has a visa to enter america?!

Im thinking if they were to ask that then it could get tricky?
I was assuming she was a British passport holder in which case she does not need a Visa to enter the US, only an ESTA, something that Canadian Immigration have no particular care about. Or if you want to be really particular it costs $14!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.