British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Visiting Southern Ontario (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/visiting-southern-ontario-796728/)

marcwales May 11th 2013 8:10 pm

Visiting Southern Ontario

Hi All. We are visiting Ontario very soon. We will be having a look around east of Toronto (Oshawa and Clarington areas). We are looking for things to see and do. Can anyone give us some recommendations please?

Also, Does anyone know of any off road courses where they hire bikes? The only one I can find is the Horseshoe Academy north of Barrie, which is out of our way. We're visiting around the Falls as well so anywhere there will be good.

Thanks!!!

bats May 12th 2013 1:08 am

Re: Visiting Southern Ontario

Originally Posted by marcwales (Post 10703832)
Hi All. We are visiting Ontario very soon. We will be having a look around east of Toronto (Oshawa and Clarington areas). We are looking for things to see and do. Can anyone give us some recommendations please?

Also, Does anyone know of any off road courses where they hire bikes? The only one I can find is the Horseshoe Academy north of Barrie, which is out of our way. We're visiting around the Falls as well so anywhere there will be good.

Thanks!!!

So we can advise you better what kind of things do you like to do? Apart from biking that is?
http://www.welcomecyclists.ca/ontari...map/bike-tours

marcwales May 12th 2013 1:31 pm

Thanks for the reply. Just looking for family stuff, 2 kids under 10. Going to take a look at bowmanville zoo, cobourg beach, etc. I was looking for motor bike off road riding as oppose to pedal power. There seems to be a few tracks around, but you have to have your own bike.

bats May 12th 2013 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by marcwales (Post 10704519)
Thanks for the reply. Just looking for family stuff, 2 kids under 10. Going to take a look at bowmanville zoo, cobourg beach, etc. I was looking for motor bike off road riding as oppose to pedal power. There seems to be a few tracks around, but you have to have your own bike.

This any good for you?

http://www.motoparkracing.com/motocross-rentals.html

People round here take the kids to Canada's Wonderland. Most areas will have activities for kids on during the summer. If you are in Peterborough there is a free zoo and the Canoe Museum which is fascinating and has stuff for kids.

MarylandNed May 13th 2013 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by marcwales (Post 10704519)

Toronto Zoo is only about an hour from Cobourg.

arniedog May 14th 2013 9:33 am

canadas wonderland is meant to be great, but make sure you have lots of cash its very expensive

dbd33 May 14th 2013 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by arniedog (Post 10707186)
canadas wonderland is meant to be great, but make sure you have lots of cash its very expensive

It looks naff to me. We did well at the water park though, the one at 427 and Finch.

MarylandNed May 14th 2013 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10707388)
It looks naff to me. We did well at the water park though, the one at 427 and Finch.

Have you been to Canada's Wonderland? I've been more times than I can remember and I think it's actually pretty good.

As for the water park you mention, I think it's Wild Water Kingdom. I used to take my kids there when we lived in Brampton. It's OK. Very mixed reviews though on tripadvisor.com.

bats May 14th 2013 9:49 pm

Originally Posted by dbd33 (Post 10707388)

It does look naff, but it's very popular. I have no intention of ever visiting the place though so will remain in blissful ignorance.

Novocastrian May 14th 2013 9:54 pm

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10708242)
It does look naff, but it's very popular. I have no intention of ever visiting the place though so will remain in blissful ignorance.

I was there exactly once when the kids were under 10. It's naff.

The kids, once ten or more, were encouraged to go on the bus.

kirstybowles May 15th 2013 2:32 am

Hi we are in Cobourg its gorgeous especially the beach, there's always something going on in the summer on a weekend.
Peterbourgh has a free zoo its not brilliant but its ok it has 3 parks there for the kids to play on too. Canada's wonderland is really good for the kids look it up, the lion safari park is good too you can get to get to ride an elephant! And watch them walk right passed you to the law for a swim! There's also a big water park there. We have 3 boys ourselves and they all enjoyed all the above.
have fun
Kirsty.

kirstybowles May 15th 2013 2:36 am

Sorry there is a water park at the lion safari but its just for the kids and it not big but still good fun. There is a big water park at Canada's wonderland though for young and old lol :)

MarylandNed May 15th 2013 10:55 am

Originally Posted by bats (Post 10708242)

So you've never been and have no intention of ever going. Thanks for the review! :)

dbd33 May 15th 2013 11:59 am

Originally Posted by MarylandNed (Post 10708106)
Have you been to Canada's Wonderland? I've been more times than I can remember and I think it's actually pretty good.

I have! And I've been to Disneyland, Disneyworld, Knott's Berry Farm, SeaWorld, the concrete reproduction of Porto Fino Bay and the imitation Venice, Paris and NYC in the desert. I've seen London Bridge over Lake Havasu. I've been to a great number of other dismal venues for corporate sales rallies. I've seen the Beach Boys, well some of them, and the Temptations, well some of them, and I narrowly missed the Goo Goo Dolls (not sure how many of them there were in the 60s). I've been to a Mary Kay convention and to a Scottish Country Dancing event in California. I've seen the Blackpool Tower. I've even been to Yonge and Eglinton. You see, life in computer sales is just like living permanently in the ballroom at the Holiday Inn Tulsa (West). I know lame, me. You can't teach me lame.

I haven't been to any of theses places with the children, my logic being that there's no need for them to go on a fake log ride with tit flashing white trash when we're in an empty country where there are real rivers, they can go on a real river ride and keep their shirts on if they want. But then, I didn't take them to McDonalds or Wal-Mart either, I'm just not very corporate.

dbd33 May 15th 2013 12:03 pm

Darien Lake is another option, that's probably better priced than Canada's Wonderland.